Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Charities A Giveaway for Your Common Needs - Come hangout with us!

Donator — Female Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/18 05:37:11 )

| ᴘʟᴇᴀꜱᴇ ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ꜱᴜʀᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏꜱ ᴘɪɴɢ ᴍᴇ!
@Totalanimefan: I've managed a few magikarp, almost done tht task. Thankfully.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/18 05:45:14 )
@Totalanimefan: Pretty much! It was pretty awesome. How was yours? :)

@Colin: That makes sense. I get it though, if you're already dedicating a lot of cash to another game (such as Magic), why devote much time or money to another game?

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/18 05:52:46 )
Forgive, O Lord,
my little jokes on thee...

@sorrowthemad: Well, if I recall, the decks themselves weren't expensive, and they only worked on their own. Like, there was no customization of your own deck, you just bought the premades and used them, meaning no cards would become more valuable than the other, eliminating the inflated and predatory secondary market that MTG suffers from.

However, I think that was a big problem of it, too. It had no long-term stability.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/18 10:05:08 )
@totalanimefan:
Oh I feel that.
I asked my fiancee of the possibility of just moving to a different place completely too and they weren't opposed to it.
I just dont want to up and leave my current doctors because they didn't do anything.
Feel free to ping me!
Also, you can call me Seni!

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/18 15:02:56 )
@Colin: Yeah that doesn't sound so great honestly. Although if I'm honest, probably my favorite games involve deckbuilding. Like Star Realms or Cthulhu Realms, ect. Even Magic kinda falls into that category. :)

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/18 20:12:49 )
I ended up publishing the first "chapter" of a horror story I'm writing for fun on Wattpad. A very dear friend of mine challenged me to write something inspired by Lovecraft, so if you like Cosmic Horror nonsense, check it out :)

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/18 21:17:31 )
Forgive, O Lord,

@sorrowthemad: I feel the same way. I loved the game when it had its surge of popularity, but when the playerbase dropped suddenly, it wasn't fun for me any longer.

Also, you wrote a story, huh? I DO love some of that cosmic horror, I admit...

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/18 21:23:04 )
@Colin: Yeah that makes sense. I was kinda considering switching from Magic to Force of Will for a while since it was super cheap in comparison, but when the player base dropped out I X'd out of it real fast.

Yeah! It's only the first chapter but I linked it above in the word "Horror" lol, if you wanted to check it out.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/18 22:04:51 )
Forgive, O Lord,

@sorrowthemad: I really got into FoW as well. Hell, there's still a bit of a scene for it in my city, iirc. But the pandemic and lockdowns have REALLY hurt it.

And I gave it a little perusal. Very nice, indeed. Very evocative of the Cthulhu mythos.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/18 22:08:02 )
@Colin: Yeah, I kinda liked the idea of a cheaper version of Magic. I really liked Duel Masters/Kaijudo while it was around and it was similar to Magic (somewhat anyway) but unfortunately not only did the game die but they brought it back and it died again. Lol!

Glad you think so :) I'm mostly going for atmosphere at the moment while I get back into writing, so that's as good as I think it can get in terms of a compliment :)

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/18 22:54:16 )
Forgive, O Lord,

@sorrowthemad: I never did get into Kaijudo. I hear good AND bad things about it. Though it's not a good sign that it died out, was brought back, anf then died AGAIN.

Well, you succeeded with the atmosphere. Quite well.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/18 23:02:40 )
@Colin: I liked Kaijudo/Duel Masters because it was waaaay more consistent than Magic. Every card in your deck can go into your mana pool, so you don't have to worry about drawing lands. Some cards even put them back into your hand, so you could burn your strong cards and then bring them back later. The other part that I liked was the "shields." Rather than having life you set up the top seven cards of your deck in front of you. Your opponent has to knock all of them out and then hit you directly once to win. What was cool about this is when your "shields" got broken, they would go to your hand, so it was sort of a balance in case your opponent got off to a fast start, giving you some card advantage to catch back up. There were some cons that also made it worse than Magic in some aspects, like only Creatures with "Defender" (basically) could block. It was weird lol.

Thanks man! Glad I could nail that part at least :D

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/18 23:05:33 )
Forgive, O Lord,

@sorrowthemad: Hmmm, that DOES sound interesting, I admit. Shame it never seemed to get any headwind over here. Though, sadly, seems like that is the destiny of things that try and ape MTG. Very few manage to coexist with it.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/18 23:39:52 )
@Colin: True. I think the issue was it started off like Yugioh (as an anime) and just didn't catch the popularity that Yugioh did. Couple that with mechanics somewhat similar to Magic and much more complex mechanics than Yugioh (as a kid's game, which is relatively easy to understand), I just think it didn't really have much of a "target audience." Their marketing wasn't great for it either. So yeah. It kinda fell flat because of it. It WAS very fun though. Just kind of generic, since it wasn't around long enough to really explore new mechanics and stuff.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 02:36:59 )
Forgive, O Lord,

@sorrowthemad: I'd say that's an accurate analysis. I've seen games come and go because they try to be "Like Magic, except..."

It's fine to be similar, I'd say it's unavoidable, but try and be your OWN thing. Don't include Magic in your marketing.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 12:23:52 )
@Colin: Yeah for sure! I loved the art for Duel Masters, it was closer to Magic I think but still not quite like Magic's art.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 20:24:18 )

@Colin: I'm sorry your luck wasn't good. What about on Sunday? How did you do? And thanks for all the invites. I couldn't always do them because I was doing a raid in rl life or I was eating lunch.

@Amber Lynne: That's good. How was your Go Fest in general? How was Sat and how was Sun?

@SorrowTheMad: My weekend was great. Sat was my 30th bday and Sat and Sun was Go Fest in Pokemon Go which is the biggest event in Pokemon Go.

@ArsenicAttitude: Yeah and moving to a new area is a lot of work, but it can totally be worth it.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Female Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 20:47:32 )

| ᴘʟᴇᴀꜱᴇ ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ꜱᴜʀᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏꜱ ᴘɪɴɢ ᴍᴇ!
@Totalanimefan: Not too bad. I managed to FINALLY hit 40 XD
And managed 4 Legends I didn't have yet - Reshriam, Palkia, Yveltal and Cobalion.
The only legend I can think of that I'm missing is Terrakion, now. So progress!

Yours?

My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 21:23:59 )
@Totalanimefan: That's awesome! Glad you had a good weekend :D I didn't even know Pokemon Go had events so that's pretty cool :) I ended up writing and publishing the first chapter for a short story that a friend of mine challenged me to do. It's meant to be Lovecraft-inspired horror :) @Ruby: doesn't like it, she thinks it's scary xD

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/19 21:35:37 )
Forgive, O Lord,

@sorrowthemad: I can agree with that.

@totalanimefan: Minor correction, I got a shiny dratini before the gligar, but... it's evaluation was shit, so I kinda forgot about it.

You're welcome for all the invites, too. I understand not all were able to be accepted by you, but I figured I'd throw them out for you anyway.

As for shinies on Sunday, I managed a Wailmer. Oh, and caught a Shiny Groudon from one of the raids.

But the big exciting news for me is that I caught a PERFECT RESHIRAM! It's not shiny, but I am taking that bad boy up to max level and best buddy status!

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.
"There is no shame in deterrence. Having a weapon is very different from actually using it." - Ghandi

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.