• yeah: 9 / 17 52%
    52% Votes
  • nope: 2 / 17 11%
    11% Votes
  • not yet, but I want to: 6 / 17 35%
    35% Votes
  • no, bread is gross: 0 / 17 0%
    0% Votes
Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/28 09:02:16 )
I haven't baked bread in a long time, but I used to make sourdough every couple weeks or so. This time, I wanted regular bread with a crunchy crust, so I got out my great grandma's Joy of Cooking book and made the white bread recipe, which is nothing like the white bread you get at the store.

I kneaded it forever, and was kind of worried because I think the recipe didn't have quite enough liquid for all the flour, since even after adding almost a quarter cup more water, it never got as smooth as it should have. Thankfully that didn't seem to matter after it rose, and when I tasted it after baking, it was totally fine.

I couldn't wait for it to cool before trying it

But this is what it looks like now that it's had time to cool down.

It smells so good I just want to eat all of the bread even though I'm no longer hungry.

What kinds of things do you all cook when you're hungry and really craving homemade food?

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/28 09:38:18 )

Oh that is so awesome. I've always wanted to make bread! As soon as we get our little oven, that is what I will bake to test out my oven.

°<°art by KeturahπŸ–€πŸ¦–πŸ–€

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/28 09:55:55 )
homemade bread is so fucking good

I should make some lol

Ping me!

Hangout

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/28 11:57:53 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

I've never done it all by hand, we have a breadmaker
Which is nice for when we also want to make dough for the meat buns I occasionally make, as it has a dough only mode

Put ya guns awn!

quest♀Shop

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/28 16:46:28 )

Bread~~~~~~

Surprisingly, for as much as I love bread, I've never made it myself.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Voltie — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/28 22:17:02 )

It looks good! I've never made bread myself, but I'd definitely like to try someday~
β˜…~~Questing~~β˜…

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/28 22:51:30 )
TSUN β˜… TSUN β˜… TSUN (β‰–οΈΏβ‰–βœΏ)

@athabm: Oooooh, your bread came out looking so soft. I’ve only made wheat bread, and the first time I made it, I accidentally killed all the yeast like a newb, so my bread ended up flat and sad. ;o;
I’m more into making stuff like banana bread because it’s easier (and no yeast!) xD

(✿ β™‘β€Ώβ™‘) DERE β˜… DERE β˜… DERE

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/29 01:31:35 )

Bread is the best. 🍞 forever!

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/29 08:24:49 )
@inatlaka: That sounds like the perfect test for a new oven. Let us know when you get it!

@Shark: I know, right? Do you have a fave kind to make/eat?

@Kitalpha Hart: A breadmaker is so nice, and it's still homemade since you choose the recipe and ingredients. Meat buns are so delicious!

@Priestess of Pie: There are lots of good recipes online, if you ever want to try.

@Starlight: thanks! I hope you get a chance sooner rather than later

@Tsundererra: Thanks! It turned out way softer than I expected, probably because I kneaded longer this time. I've used old yeast before and gotten sad bread. Banana bread is so good! Do you ever make zucchini bread?

@Totalanimefan: I AGREE! (I also think rice is the best, and potatoes, too)

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/29 10:51:09 )
I know how to make my grandma's marinade. Has tasted outta this world on pretty much any meat I've cooked in it lol. Lottaaaa late night barbecues with that stuff.

Used to make bread a ton, until work made me so damn exhausted lol. Always wanted to try making sourdough, too.

Your bread looks like it has such a great crust. Making me hungry

Used to make loafs and dinner rolls, sweet rolls, and
Donuts/cinnamon rolls when i had a craving. Might have to get at it again lol

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/29 18:40:10 )

@athabm: I feel like I don’t know how to knead my dough properly. It looks like bread, but not as perfect as yours. xD
I’ve made zucchini bread before, and it was amazing! I added cinnamon to mine. Omg, now I want to go make some. It’s def been a while.

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/30 10:47:11 )
@Tsundererra: I usually just fold the edge into the center, and push down hard, then turn the dough about a quarter turn and repeat, but the key is the length of time you knead more than kneading technique. I used to skimp, and knead for the minimum time, but this time the dough was being difficult, so I kneaded for longer just to be sure I'd really worked up the gluten.

It can get tiring, so if you have a mixer with a dough hook attachment, that can knead your dough for you, and save you some trouble.

I hope you get the chance to make zucchini bread soon!

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/30 21:27:46 )

@athabm: Oooooh, that’s good to know. I’ll try to dedicate some more time into my kneading. I don’t think the hook works as well as by doing it by hand, but it could just be my sad mixer. xD
Do you let it rise up again after kneading it?

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/30 22:19:20 )

It looks so soft and delicious~
I can imagine how it smells like since fresh bread always smells so heavenly =q=

Art Dump β˜† Avatar Gallery β˜† Quest Items

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/31 09:25:27 )
@Tsundererra: Maybe it depends on the type of dough whether a hook works or not, idk. You let it rise to double its size the first time, then you punch it down, divide it into loaves, put it in the pans, and let it rise a second time, and then bake it. Some bread you just let it rise once, but that's usually bread you don't have to knead.

@PurpdaBurpPurp: It did smell amazing

Voltie — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/31 20:49:02 )

I haven't made my own bread before.
My boyfriend gave me a bread machine for Christmas so I can make gluten-free bread,
but I haven't gotten the chance to use it yet.
I just need to find a simple recipe that I can actually find the ingredients for locally.

please @ me if you want a response
art by blinkini

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.