Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat To buy or not to buy

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/26 23:54:21 )

halp

I've got my eyes on an 11 inch ipad pro that's on sale for $674 on amazon
with the apple pencil 2, this would all end up being like 800 ish probably, after taxes and such.

I have a cintiq 22HD but its bulky and has to remain plugged into my pc. I want an ipad so I can draw while I'm stuck at school or at work, or just wherever I'm not at my pc. its pure luxury.

My mother says that ordering electronics during holiday season is too risky because they are more mass-produced, so the quality might be more faulty or fragile than normal?
Is this a thing?
Think this is a good deal?

the 11 inch also has less memory on it than the 12 inch, but if I'm only using it for drawing, I dont imagine it would really make much difference but idk

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/27 00:02:33 )

I got my iPad and apple pencil fairly recently but I can say that it's one of the best drawing experiences I've had. I don't know if you need a top of the line model though necessarily. Unless you need all the oomph, you may consider looking for older or slightly less powerful tablet. I got a refurbished older model from Amazon that was a little under $350 with purchase protection. I also picked up the Apple Pencil from a local facebook ad for $50 so overall it was a reasonable deal!

Of course there's nothing wrong with wanting a newer model either. I'm not sure what upgrades are available with the newer iPads and Pencil 2.

I will recommend getting a matte screen protector though. It makes the screen so much nicer to draw on.

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/27 00:07:36 )

@priestess of pie:
Yeah I dunno if I'd need the newest model either. I just wanna draw on the go while also saving paper (and my textbooks from doodles)
I do draw on a high res canvas, would that cause any lag on an older model?

100% gonna get a matte screen protector <3 I read that in a review

I'm also hesitant cause I cant bring my clip studio over to it unless i make monthly payments. But, procreate does sound pretty bomb and its only 5 bucks i think

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/27 00:39:21 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Jolly: I bought my iPad Pro 9.7 inch with Apple Pencil last Black Friday, and that has replaced my asspensive cintiq for most of my work. I would get something with a bit more space because all of those drawings add up and take so much space... I have to constantly upload all my older, finished stuff so I can delete. But this is a problem that just started happening, and it depends on how much you draw.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/27 00:43:52 )

i'm stuck in a similar rut, i want an ipad just for drawing on but i have a surface pro so there's really no point |D

i chose surface over ipad since a) full computer and b) 1 time clip license, but i still want to play around on procreate LOL...

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/27 01:12:04 )

Procreate is pretty awesome. I can't believe how affordable these powerful drawing tools are these days. Adobe can suck it.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/27 01:14:02 )

I recommend an iPad and an apple pencil ^^

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/27 01:17:20 )

Thanks for the inputs everyone <3 I've been on this debate off and on for a year or two. I have moved so much, it would've been more helpful in the past.
Sadly I know ipad isn't strong enough to fully replace my cintiq (cause taking that off my desk would be nice. its so big)
but I do get "trapped" at school some days and it would be nice to draw something in between my work there.

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/27 01:36:41 )

I did it! I ordered an ipad. Everyone irl and online talked me into it

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/27 03:06:47 )
@Jolly: oooo that's exciting! when do you get your new goodie :>

e

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/27 03:17:55 )

@eleven:
Somewhere between december 6 or 9th
I didn't bother with amazon prime since that isn't so far away <3

Also I seem to always get items way early or on the earliest ETA date c:

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/27 03:19:58 )
@Jolly: ah that's just like a week away~
I like ordering stuff because they all feel like presents xD

e

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/27 03:26:46 )

@eleven:
omg same! I've made a lot of use for amazon this year and opening packages hasnt gotten old yet lmao

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/27 03:27:31 )

Congrats on your new iPad!

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/27 03:39:36 )
@Jolly: it's exciting every time xD since you have to unbox it all
here they don't really use amazon so I'm mostly on gmarket but it's the same idea

e

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/27 04:05:32 )

Thanksss!
I'm excited for the ipad. Less excited for having to budget tighter for the next month to make up for that splurge

@eleven:
ohh I had to look it up. Basically a korean amazon huh
I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/27 04:17:23 )
@Jolly: haha yeah it's the Korean eBay I think but same idea. order stuff and get them super fastttt

I've been getting all of my cat stuff on there haha

e
and after love and loss and all the tears that I cried, I find that here we are in the future

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.