Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts Ꮚ≗ꈊ≗Ꮚ ten.eleven

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/24 11:18:49 )
@Tsundererra: xD yeah living in the countryside has that advantage. most people here speak some English so I never really use Korean |D I mean it helps to know what the kids are complaining about. but I also feel so self-conscious about my pronunciation. some of the times when I /do/ use it, people don't understand me and I'm like |||D oh

ugh I don't wear the mask because I guess I'm reckless. but a lot of people do |D
rip earth every day though

ohh you worked at a public school?
I work at a private academy. hagwon life. so it's even more so like take care of the kids, make sure the parents don't complain
I have sent a kid out of the room before. our biggest threat I guess is just to take stamps away or say the Korean supervisors will call their mom

e

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/24 11:20:21 )

@eleven: thank you. I really like the name ^^
I’m off to bed. Good night

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/24 11:22:03 )
@Totalanimefan: good talking to you~
have a good night!!

e

Voltie — kotetsu Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/24 14:42:19 )

ohey nice title change

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/24 15:01:54 )
yas it's a sheep

e

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/24 15:02:13 )
I guess my thing is the letter e and sheep lmao

e
art shop
isn't that lovely, isn't that cool and isn't that cruel

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/24 15:09:49 )

sh[ee]p

fluffy fluffy sheep

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/24 17:53:36 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@eleven: The people working in Tokyo and bigger cities everywhere feel the same. It’s like a blessing because it’s hella convenient, and a curse for those who want to learn. To be fair, Korean pronunciation is really hard. Kudos to you for trying when you can.

Yes, I worked in public schools. It felt like me and the other foreign teachers were tools of the city to use however they wanted. Working at a private academy sounds amazing. :O For us, they told us to let the home room teachers/school handle the parents and really bad problem kids, so I like that your position sounds more hands-on. Do the parents pay for their students to attend your school?

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/24 19:43:00 )

@eleven: thanks. I’m up now lol

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/25 15:10:17 )
@Tsundererra: yeah if I forced myself to use it more, I'm sure I would improve a lot more. also I could go to Korean classes or something. but I guess I'm not the most motivated right now. I always find starting a new language really exciting and fun and then I lose interest pretty quickly. the interest/motivation goes up and down.

yeah since it's just one of those after school academies, the parents have to pay for them to be there. so it's also more of a business than an educational institute at times

e

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/25 15:10:40 )
@Totalanimefan: haha I'm back at home for the night. long day |D didn't check in that much during the morning

e

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/25 17:54:45 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@eleven: I know how that can be with the motivation going up and down. If you are able to get by with what you already know, then there’s no rush.

Oh snaaaap, then you guys really have the power to discipline them since they can get kicked out if their kid is super bad. What are your hours like since it’s after school?

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/25 18:06:45 )
@Tsundererra: yeahhh I try to tell myself it's fine. but I don't want to come across as an inconsiderate foreigner either |D and I feel bad for not speaking their language. such an inconvenience for them. sometimes it's fun when they just continue in Korean and I continue in English. usually my interactions only require yes or no answers from me anyway

hahaha I feel like it's the reverse because the parents can take their money elsewhere so we have to try to make the parents happy |D but also yes we can kick kids out. honestly though there are sooo many academies to choose from, it's more of if we can keep the students with us or not
mine now is 1pm to 9pm. the classes are 2:30 to 8:15 at the latest. usually ends at 6:20. only a couple classes at the 6:25 to 8:15 block
my first job here was 3pm to 10pm. classes from 4 to 10.

e

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/25 19:06:44 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@eleven: I don’t think you’d ever come across as an inconsiderate foreigner. It sounds like you try when possible. Plus, they usually feel bad for not knowing English even though they learned it in school, and that stress mixed with guilt shows in their interaction. x__x

Ahhh, I see what you mean! I think we had a lot of those after school institutions in Japan too, but not many outside of Tokyo had legit English teachers.
Oh man, you work so late! O: Do you have weekends off? A friend of mine worked at a similar set-up as you, and she only had Sundays off. T__T It was hard making plans to hang out with her because she was always working when I got off work.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/25 19:47:53 )

@eleven: how was your day today?

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/26 03:19:06 )
@Tsundererra: sometimes...some people sound annoyed. but yeah they usually are pretty apologetic for not speaking English and I'm like noooo you're fine. this is your country.

hmm I'm not really a legit teacher. like I did get certified to teach English as a foreign language but I'm not a teacher teacher in the US.
we do have weekends off! which is great. just the two consecutive days off. it's not like I do much with my weekends lol |D

@Totalanimefan: yesterday was busyyy. hence not online much haha. I went to watch frozen 2 and then just work and home and sleep

e

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/26 03:33:54 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@eleven: I’ve encountered the annoyed people too. x__x I feel like their annoyance is from dealing with previous bad foreigners, so I tried to still be polite. I felt the same as you when they’d apologize like that too. )x Like, I studied French long ago, and I don’t remember anything. I’m not expecting everyone to be fluent if they don’t use a language they studied years ago.

Not many English teachers in Asia are certified to teach in the U.S., myself included. I didn’t even get the TEFL certification/training, though I’m sure that would’ve made things so much easier. T^T But they still consider us as close to a native speaking English teacher as it gets.
Omg, I’m glad you get the entire weekend off! :’3 Hope you get to go out and relax on those days.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/26 04:29:25 )
@Tsundererra: yeah sometimes I feel weird like I went into a cell phone store on Sunday and wanted to recharge data. they literally just looked at me and said "no not today. tomorrow" and looked kind of impatient. I still remember French xD better than my Korean for sure haha

yeah the fact that I'm not certified in the US makes me feel like a fraud. the TEOSL training helped in theory? but I think the experience I've gotten over time is what helps the most

I mostly stay home and relax xD

e
and after love and loss and all the tears that I cried, I find that here we are in the future

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/26 04:45:24 )

@eleven: That sounds nice. There is a Mr Rogers movie out in the US right now and it was good. I just saw it.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/26 05:02:41 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@eleven: You studied French too? :D I studied it all throughout middle school, high school, and a little bit into Uni, and years later I remember nothing. xD
Did they English at you? Or did they say that part in Korean? Still could’ve told you nicer to come back tomorrow. ;~;

You shouldn’t feel like a fraud at all~ for teaching overseas in a lot of countries, it can make you look fancy, but it is not required. My bestie is teaching in Kuwait as an actual teacher (I was just an assistant teacher in Japan), and she has the same certification you do, and no American teaching certification. A lot of the teaching/classroom skills we learn from experience anyways.

You must be exhausted working those hours. x__x I don’t blame you for staying home and relaxing.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.