Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat What ethical dilemmas do/have you had?

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 23:01:50 )

@Jolly: OOF yeah that's a big one... a number of those plastics can be recycled tho, but so many people aren't educated about what can and can't be recycled that they just end up in the garbage anyway, which sucks
I didn't learn til college that the plastic lids on soda cups can be recycled AKSLSL

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/14 02:00:09 )

my worst ethical dilemmas are usually about work

do i write that student up for violence knowing she had a terrible day and that she was acting out because of what she's going through? if i don't then she gets away with hurting others but if i do then she may or may not receive the help she needs and is instead punished when what she actually needs is support

usually the way i solve it is by getting the guidance counselor involved but it really sucks to be in that position and feel like it's lose lose, since often times a student will shut down on the first person responding to the situation regardless of how you approach it

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/14 03:28:53 )
@songlord: I was thinking about my work ethical dilemmas too!

Do I allow this student to be passed on to the next grade level knowing that they aren't successful with the current grade level standards or do I hold them back with the knowledge that it pretty much guarantees that they'll drop out later?

-this particular moral dilemma usually gets yanked out of my hands and they get passed along without my approval. I do not see the point in passing a student along that is reading on a 2nd grade level in the 4th grade.

Do I kick this student out of my class because he's disrupting everyone else's education when he is, by law, allowed a free and appropriate public education? OR do I let him continue staying in my class with the knowledge that the other 19 are not getting the education they deserve?

-My current reality and ethical dilemma I'm trying to come to terms with. When I come up with a solution, I'll let you know. XD

Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/14 05:37:20 )
@totalanimefan:
I love traveling around by bus or train, honestly. It's healthier using your own two legs a bit more anyway!

Also, as it turns out, this bit wasn't even meant to be my homework. Information got mixed up and this is meant to be discussed during class NEXT week, with everyone together. Rather than writing it out alone But she liked my papers of car rants.

@Miss Sandman:
Aww I'm happy for you!! Soon!

@Hachi:
Yeah, I actually watched a video somewhere saying that its better to not recycle at all, than to recycle incorrectly. Because of the issue we've had with china denying our recycling and its becoming too much for workers to have to sift through it all.
I just want to stop using single use plastics all together~

@songlord:
That's a tricky one indeed. Maybe the counselor can advise you on how to help her while still showing fairness?

@Mousy:
That kinda makes me think of my housemate's daughter. She's 10 but she can barely write or spell and her reading is pretty rough. Her teachers become really impatient and rude toward her, not helping the situation at all. I'm sure they probably face the similar dilemma "should I hold her back or not?"

But on the other hand, she has a mother who is not very encouraging. She's very passive aggressive while the kid is trying to get through homework, and just keeps complaining "just get it done so I can go to bed" and "you spelled that wrong. come on, just get it right" kind of things like... I suspect the kid is just dyslexic and under a lot of stress that her mom piles on. Then her inability to focus comes in..

I wonder how similar this case could be to your student? How are they learning at home, what kind of rudeness or distractions are they dealing with?
I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/14 05:53:32 )

@Jolly: Yes it is healthier!
Oh I see! lol I hope that she gives you extra credit.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — PomePome Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/14 16:19:09 )
@Jolly: thank you ;)
~Pls Ping me~
Nothing fancy to see here!!!

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/14 19:29:29 )

I don't really encounter many ethical dilemmas outside of the ones connected to everyday living, though I figure those are more than enough.
Eat things you know are bad for the environment and your body, spend more than you can afford and risk running out of money, or just don't eat enough to get through the day? Great choices. Throwing things that could be recycled into the garbage because recycling isn't available and you don't have the time, space, or energy to collect it yourself and take it to the nearest recycling facility (seriously, does anyone do that?). Work for a huge corporation that screws over employees, destroys small businesses, and sells products that support all manner of unethical practices... or don't have a job because those big corporations are your only option if you want to be able to put that food that's so bad for the environment on your table and live another day? Even so you're still not gonna be able to pay rent no matter what. "Better than nothing" is the default state of being. Doing things you wish you didn't have to because you have no other option is all there is. Is it even a dilemma at this point, when there's not really any alternative?

When it comes to things I have some form of control over, I don't really have many issues. I'm sure I've had to make hard decisions before, but I generally know what I'm doing is the right thing for me and anyone else potentially involved, so it doesn't feel like an ethical problem. But for the things I'm trapped with that I know are wrong and have no say in? That's an everyday struggle that I just have to tune out until I have the means to do something about any of it.

AKA Count Trashula

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/15 01:43:23 )
Cheating. It's fertile ground as far as ethical dilemmas go. You can find all sides of arguments on it very, very easily.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.