Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts honeyglazed ★

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/19 18:19:19 )

IM SAD
    COME BACK HASAN

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/19 20:34:14 )

Calligraphy does take a certain amount of patience lol. I use a brush pen half the time these days because it’s quicker than using a dip pen.

Fun fact tho the pressure style you get with a dip pen is preeetty close to the same kind of pressure style you get on a digitizer for line thickness.

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/19 21:07:31 )

@moif: During college, I took a color theory class. The teacher was one I had before, and he liked me pretty well. He was an eccentric old dude that worked with traditional media. It's not that he disliked digital stuff, but he made me go outside my comfort zone once. He gave me a piece of plywood and said "Paint something on this." using acrylic paints that we were using for the color theory. He was like "if you do this, I'll give you extra credit." so I did.

This was the result.

"Oh, the tired horror!"

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/19 21:43:05 )

@crystalkitsune85:
That’s absolutely beautiful! I love it!

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/19 22:21:26 )

@moif: It's basically the only thing I painted on a 'canvas'. My grandfather then proceeded to order me an easel and some canvases, thinking I'd do more....but traditional media is...fine...but it's not really something I wanted to do again. I like that you have an "undo" button on digital stuff. Without the ability to erase, I have to be more cautious. Because if you eff up a painting, it's just there. And I'm no Bob Ross, and turning mistakes into something.

"Oh, the tired horror!"

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/19 22:25:56 )

@crystalkitsune85:
I get that. You might want to try doing something like pencil or charcoal where you can erase to an extent or try watercolor florals or something on that scale. The reason I suggest that latter one is because I do little corner decorations on 3x5 cards - so the actual ‘painting’ probably only takes up about 2x2 inches max. And since I’m not trying to cover even all of that space with paint it takes me only about 10-20 minutes (less if I’m not doing a ton of detail work with leaves) to cover the space. So if you mess up you haven’t wasted much time, you can throw it out and start on something new easy and not feel bad about it. And as you go it should get easier to work without an undo. Or at least that’s how it worked for me. I recongize not everyone is the same, but I think it could be worth giving it a go.

Creme and Sugar - A One Slot Bribe Shop

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/19 22:46:38 )

@moif: I've always wanted to work with Copic markers. But those little pens are expensive as heck. I had a set of basic ones on my Amazon wish list, and it was like the cheapest set. I've never brought myself to buy them though because as much as I did digital art, I didn't see spending the $ for them. I also can draw on paper, I've done that before I did digital stuff. I don't really like charcoal because of the mess, and I get this weird feeling with having charcoal on my hands. I had to do it in art classes, and I had to put on gloves to use it because of the residue. I also have some nice wax based colored pencils I can draw with too. I've just not been artistically motivated.

"Oh, the tired horror!"

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/19 22:50:54 )
@Crystalkitsune85: your painting is beautiful

-Any odds are good odds for the damned-

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/19 22:53:45 )

@Lina: Thank you. I called it Briar Rose, Rose Red.

"Oh, the tired horror!"

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/19 22:56:09 )
That’s the best title! OuO

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/19 22:59:37 )

I even submitted it as an entry for the annual College magazine, which was put together in a class. They feature short stories, art, and what not of students from the previous year. I didn't make it in though, but I did get to make one issue of the magazine one year. I took the class and I was listed as an illustrator. It's neat because they credit all the people who work on the magazine.

"Oh, the tired horror!"

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/19 23:17:45 )
That sounds so cool!
I had some of my ceramics put on display in our school’s art exhibit at the college. All the high schools had art in it, so it felt pretty gratifying to be picked.

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/19 23:51:46 )

The community college I went to, had a gallery that featured like alumni artwork pieces. They even had a class about how to work/manage a gallery there. It was pretty cool. There was a spot for figure sculpture, and a metal working area. They had a kiln for pottery and what not. They even had a culinary program and a cafe that served food the students made.

"Oh, the tired horror!"

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/19 23:56:56 )
That all sounds so amazing!
The college is closed now, or online only now...
But I should go visit for events like the art gallery when it opens again!
I sort of forget there are things for non students

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/19 23:58:30 )

I enjoyed my time there, I met some really nice people. I met my best friend there, and we met in 2003. We're still friends after all this time too.

"Oh, the tired horror!"

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/20 00:01:12 )
That’s amazing! One of my sister’s best friends is someone she met in college. I guess I’m less social though

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/20 00:04:06 )

I'm pretty antisocial as far as people go. I don't always make friends because I'm really shy. We actually met on the last day of the class we were taking at the same time. We talked on MSN for a while and then I found out she was in the same figure drawing class the following semester. We sat together and talked like high school girls. Passing notes and stuff when the teacher wasn't looking lol.

"Oh, the tired horror!"

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/20 00:05:19 )
That sounds really cute.
It’s great to find new friends like that!

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/20 00:26:54 )

Then she dropped out of college because she thought her art was dumb (even though she did have an art piece featured in that magazine I mentioned before. It was from a print-making class she took)

And even after I stopped going to the school, we'd still get together and hang out off and on. Only reason we haven't done so, now is because of the BS going on.

"Oh, the tired horror!"

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/20 00:41:17 )
Yeah, no one is seeing anyone else right now. I hope you keep friends though!
Adult friends are hard to find!!

Find me @ PlayWithErica on instagram, twitch, youtube, and discord.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.