Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Breaker Beach 2019 You Can't Get a Suntan On the Moon || Raffle!

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 09:55:16 )
@Totalanimefan: I get that big cities mean bad traffic, but D.C. ranks #2 (and in previous years #1) as THE worst traffic in all of America. Here’s a source. Like not sure if you’ve seen the shit show that is NYC, but it’s way worse than that. I worked near D.C. years ago, and left two hours early (it’s a 30 minute drive without traffic), and I got stuck in standstill traffic because of an accident. I ended up being late to work by 3 hours. 5 hours of my life gone.
The metro is gross, and waaaaay overdue for upgrades. The red line is always smoking and breaking down... but to be fair, all American public transit is a disgrace.
I think the prices around Arlington is going up because Amazon decided to build their second headquarters in nearby Crystal City...

Oof, DMV makes me so angry, but then I remember how the southern half of VA is and I’m not as salty.

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 10:06:42 )

@Tsundererra: yes I know all of this. Although I thought that LA was rated the worse for traffic.
I like urban planning and I’m quite passionate about it.
Also the metro is not gross have you ever been on the bart or the subway? Now that’s gross.
We can agree to disagree though. The Bay Area has a lot of problems and the amount of power local control has on top of everything else doesn’t help.

@SirLionelNigelConrad: might both of those area’s be suffering from any of things I listed?

Also I’m off to bed. It’s 2am and I’m beat.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 10:18:13 )
@Totalanimefan: I think LA is #5 on the list. I think D.C. gets so bad because it’s so small, and you have traffic from two states coming in and out.
Metro is gross. The transport in NYC and NJ is worse, but that does not make metro less gross or safe. Like I said, all American transport is a disgrace.
I think we can all find pros and cons in the places we live. Like you have to deal with forest fires and earthquakes, and we have to deal with tornadoes and hurricanes.
Also, niiiiiiiight~

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 11:29:29 )

My favourite summertime activity is hissing at the sun

Donator — she/they Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 13:04:44 )
I can't get a tan anywhere. Its just Pale> Burnt> Peel> Repeat. No thanks, sun, you eldritch abomination.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 15:16:35 )
I'm ginger and pale enough. I bet ya' I could get a full-on sunburn on the moon. XD

Come chill at The Treehouse or visit my Item Trading Thread!
[Pixels by Ghost & DragonicKittens!]

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 19:11:25 )

@Tsundererra: yeah true facts. The problems with thee I love is no public transportation options, no new housing being built, the most expensive housing market in the nation, theft is extremely common here with cars being the biggest target. Like my one bedroom condo with 600k and it’s no new it was built in the 80’s. It’s not near a downtown or a train. It was the cheapest one on the market when I bought it.
And yes I wish that America was better at public transportation.
How are you today?

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 19:17:13 )
@Totalanimefan: Oh wow, there isn’t any public transit there? And I’m surprised there’s no new housing because it feels like every big city is spending on housing.
My first bf was from the Bay Area, and he had his old Honda Civic stolen, and then found weeks later with empty crack pipes. /: America needs to step up its game forreal doe.

And I’m good! Having a super lazy Sunday. How about you?

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 19:19:29 )

@Tsundererra: in South Bay there isn’t. It’s just from SF toSF burbs but it doesn’t reach all the way to San Jose Which is a city of 1 mil people.
There is very little housing being built because of NIMBYism

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 19:54:49 )
@Totalanimefan: I always forget how big the Bay Area, and even Cali really is. Expanding public transit could really help control traffic and bring in more jobs. ): And new housing is important, especially for a place that is prone to earthquakes. But living in an area where they are constantly building new housing, I get the feels of NIMBYism. The newer housing raises the rent of nearby older properties, which makes people leave when they can’t afford... then when enough people leave, they tear down the old buildings and build new ones.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 20:25:30 )
My favorite summertime activity......

hmmmm......

It's gotta be sitting inside of the house. The sun is so exhausting. XD

Also, I have allergic reactions to sunscreen. sooooooooo..... *shrugs*

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 20:27:19 )
@Mousy: I feel you 100% with staying indoors. xD The sun is evilllllll.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 20:30:52 )
@tsundererra: I'll go outside and just immediately feel like all of the energy is sucked from my body. That's probably more from the heat here though.

When I first moved to this area, my rearview mirror melted off of my truck. MELTED. Ridiculous.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 20:33:03 )
@Mousy: Holy bananas, where do you live?! In the middle of a desert? Like my area is hot, but never hot enough for that. xD

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 20:37:18 )
@tsundererra: I'm in southern-ish Texas.
This year, my windshield cracked from the heat.
I must have blasted my AC too high after turning on the car or something idk.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 20:39:06 )
@Mousy: Oof, you guys get bad storms too on top of that heat. I didn’t even know it can get hot like that anywhere in the U.S. (except for Death Valley).

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 20:42:20 )
@tsundererra: We haven't even reached the hottest part of the summer yet I don't think. either that or we're getting up there.

It rains nearly every day from like April to August, but they are random pop up storms that don't even show up on my weather app until after its over. We're in the middle of hurricane season too. So, that's always fun with all of the tropical storms blowing in. XD
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Voltie — Moon-Cat Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 20:49:48 )
Honestly I think my favorite thing to do during the summer is stay indoors with AC. I don't hate being outside or anything, but I much prefer fall and winter. Should probably move farther north, tbh.
...And with that, he was gone.

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 23:47:08 )

@Tsundererra: If you build enough housing the rich will live in the newer, nicer housing and the middle class and poor won't be priced out. It's when certain cities and/or neighborhoods don't build anything and then everyone else has to live somewhere else. So they move to where the housing is affordable and/or available. Which then leads to gentrification.
https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/08/if-you-want-less-displacement-build-more-housing/568714/
https://www.domain.com.au/news/building-boom-helps-keep-lid-on-house-apartment-rents-around-capital-cities-857718/
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/amid-building-boom-1-in-10-seattle-apartments-are-empty-and-rents-are-dropping/

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/21 23:53:56 )
@Totalanimefan: I wonder what’s going on in my area then, because each time they build newer housing, it feels like the poor get pushed out. /: Maybe there are other factors at play that I’m not aware of.
I’m up for anything that gets housing costs down. It’s ridiculous that our generation can’t even afford to live alone most of the time:

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.