Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Role Playing Adventures in Eberron! A D&D Roleplay. [IC/Rolling] (Title pending. Setting up.)

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/12 20:23:09 )

Astrinos is very uncomfortable in this part of town. Things are very different than in the crystal halls of the spire he used to live in. He holds his pouch even closer to his person and his other hand is tense and ready to draw his sword at any moment. He second guesses his decision to come here and wonders if he could have found more legitimate work elsewhere.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/14 01:21:18 )
You gotta @Mention me.

Cutting down a street on the way to their destination, Astrinos and Rosemary find themselves between a set of old apartment buildings.
Stoops line each side of the street, and it seems like a bit of another social gathering spot for the locals.
Every few stoops has groups of 2-3 people, and they stop their conversations to stare as the pair hurry along.

As they near the end of the street, a few people stand up to face them.
All of them looks unkempt with ill fitting clothing, and blades at their waists.
"Well well, boys. Looks like we got us some marks. Just look at that one, he's clinging to his purse like a scared kitten. Hahah!"
The others chuckle along, as they get to their feet, drawing their blades.
"Why don't you make this easier for everyone? Hand over your coin and valuables, and we won't give you some new holes to breath through."

((A map of the current situation is on roll20. This isn't going straight into combat just yet, so you can try to do something in roleplay before turn initiative starts.))

Join the Horde. We have bananas. 🍌

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/14 17:43:59 )

Remembering his training, Astrinos relaxes his pose and his face is unreadable as a stone. "I have very little coin and no valuables, all that I carry are valuable only to me. Is it really worth getting a few new holes in you for 2 gold pieces in my pouch and hers? I suggest you let us on our way and maybe get the next guy. This blade is not just for show. I have been trained to use it." His hand moved to the hilt of the sword to flash a little bit of steel, before returning it to its sheath.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/14 19:00:25 )
You gotta @Mention me.

((You wanna try rolling either intimidation or persuasion for that?))

Saeyra rolled a D20 1 times for; and 18. Totalling: 18
For a grand total of 18!
Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/14 19:09:32 )

((I will roll intimidation cos I am slightly better at it))
add plus 1 so its 19

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/14 19:40:00 )
You gotta @Mention me.

They all hesitate, switching back-and-forth between glaring you down and glancing at each other. The one who spoke before answers again, with a smirk.
"Come now, boys. Let's play nice with our new friends. They're in a hurry, so we'll catch up with them next time."
Sheathing their blades, they all step back onto their stoops, though still watching you two closely.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/14 20:31:23 )

Astrinos nods to each one politely as he passes them. "Thank you all, and good luck on your next hunt. Come now Rosemary, lets leave these gentlemen to their business."

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/15 01:54:56 )

[ Narrowing her eyes, Rosemary made sure to watch the gang closely. Preparing to possibly get into it with them. ]

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/18 06:48:02 )
You gotta @Mention me.

Everyone keeps close eyes on each other as Astrinos and Rosemary make a cautious escape from the narrow alleyway road.
The air feels fresher on this side, not just because they made it out of that tense situation, but also because they made it to the outside edge of the Mason Tower.
From here they walk along the inside wall, passing open bays and windows along the way.
The tower is squared off this low down into the city of Sharn, and The Broken Anvil sits nestled into the inside corner.

'The ------ Anvil'
There is a visible gap in the sign across the entrance way where it once had golden lettering. If you look closely you can barely make out that the missing word is also 'golden'
Nearby the name sign is a signboard bearing the crest of House Ghallanda.
- - -

Inside is a fairly impressive establishment. It's not elaborately decorated, but the interior has some features that you wouldn't expect on a run down place in this area.
A simple chandelier hangs above the main room, with a full sized bar, some gambling tables alongside the other tables, and even a stage area off to the side.
There is a dwarven comedian on stage that seems to have lost his zeal and is just going through the motions, not that the few drunken patrons seem to care.
A group of halflings are playing cards at one of the gaming tables, rolling their eyes at the dwarf's jokes. You can tell they've heard them a lot by this point.

A halfling woman greets you after a moment of taking in the atmosphere.
"Ah good morning! Right this way please. The lady has been expecting you."
She leads you to a secluded booth table in the back of the common room.
"My Lady, your guests have arrived."
- - -

The human woman in the dark blue cloak has delicate features, dark blue eyes, and sleek black hair bound with silver and turquoise ornaments. She wears a signet ring of House Cannith on he right ring finger and speaks in a soft but clear voice.
"Thank you for coming. We have important business to discuss that relates to the unfortunate death of bonal Geldem. Please, have a seat."
She gestures to the glasses and three pitchers on the table in front of her. The pitchers are filled with ale, wine, and water.
She waits a moment for you to take your seats, then gets down to business.

"I am Elaydren Vown of House Cannith and I have been working with Provost Geldem to recover a family heirloom...We were to meet last night, but as you know, he never made it. I learned from The Watch what had transpired, and so I sent one of my men to track you down."
- -
"The heirloom, according to family legends, was locked away in a foundry that dates back to pre-galifar Sharn...Poor Bonal believed he had discovered the location of the foundry in an ancient House Cannith journal. I was going to fund an expedition to go to the site, but without Bonal...."

Her voice trails off, and she leans in closely.
"Perhaps you would be willing to recover the heirloom for me? You seem to have some skills given how you fought off Bonal's murderer.
You would receive a generous reward, of course.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/20 18:23:00 )

Astrinos pours himself a cup of wine, "Well, I am not currently employed doing anything else at the moment. If the reward is as generous as you say then I am in. I barely have two coins to rub together at the moment, even brigands refuse to rob me." He laughs and downs his drink , then looks at Rosemary. "And you?"

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/21 01:32:56 )

[ Sipping at a cup of water, Rosemary looks thoughtfully at the lady. When her cup is empty she shrugs her shoulders. "Why the Hell not, I've got nothing better to do with my time right now". Who knows how long it would be before she found her family. Might as well make some money while she waited for them to find her. ]

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/21 21:24:41 )
You gotta @Mention me.

"Excellent."
Elaydren pulls out a small booklet that you two recognize as the one from Bonal Geldem's satchel.
Sliding it across the table towards you, the symbol on the cover begins to faintly glow in unison with her House Cannith signet ring.
She opens the journal, exposing the pages to be blank, but after a moment the faint glow of magic reveals that the journal entries were hidden.
Delicate script and line drawings begin to fill the blank pages.
She turns it to a specific pages, studies it a moment, and pulls out a map alongside it.
"The location of the lost foundry is deep within Dorasharn tower. Down below the tower's present-day sewer system. I offer you 500 gold pieces, and the good will of my house if you recover the heirloom and return it to me."
Eldaydren produces a full pouch, jingling with coin. It makes a satisfying sound as it plops onto the table in front of you all.

"I'll give you 100 gold pieces up front so you can outfit yourselves as you see fit. The relic I seek is an adamantine plate in the shape of a seven-pointed star. It has no power by itself, but it is an ancient scheme- a piece of a pattern used by Cannith artificers of old to produce strange items...Recover this piece of history for us, and House Cannith will be extremely grateful. Do you have any questions?"

[You gain 100gp. Do with it as you see fit.]

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/24 01:10:54 )

[ Accepting the gold Rosemary began planning out the things she'd likely need. ]

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/27 23:11:17 )

"Thank you for the advanced payment, we are definitely going to need it." Astrinos pockets his share as he says this. "The mission seems easy enough, find a metal star and bring it back to you. How will we find you when we have completed this task? And are there any creatures or people guarding this artifact that you know of?" He raises a questioning eyebrow and examines his employer closely in the event she tries to hide something from him about the dangers they are about to face.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/28 00:58:12 )
You gotta @Mention me.

"Once you have it, return here to The Broken Anvil. My men will notify me when you arrive, and I'll be here to pick it up, as well as presenting the rest of your reward. Simple as that."

She thinks for a few moments over your last two questions.

"It's quite possible there are some sort of defenses for the old Cannith forge, though I do not know what they might be...

More pertinent is the fact that Bonal was killed in an attempt to get his research. This proves there is someone else after the contents of my family's lost forge. Given that the assassin was a Warforged, I have suspicions that it could be the rumored 'Lord of Blades' so you may encounter more of his warforged agents.

Other than that, Bonal had mentioned needing things like alchemist fire and torches for making the trip. Torches, or some other light source would be a given since it will be quite dark without the Everbright Lanterns we are used to up here. I couldn't say why he might need alchemist's fire though.

But whatever arises, I'm sure you can handle it. That's why I'm making you this offer."

[Astrinos tries to gauge her responses, looking for any possible deceit. Everything she says seems truthful as far as he can tell.]

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/29 19:58:13 )

Astrinos replies, "I am new to this city so might I inquire as to where we might find some alchemist's fire? Torches I believe we have plenty of."

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/31 00:54:35 )
You gotta @Mention me.

"You could find it almost anywhere in the city, but a good place for you to look would be in the Clifftop district in Upper Dura. It's full of mercenary types such as yourself and the businesses cater to that, so I'd suggest you ask around up there."

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/9 09:28:31 )

[ Rosemary also pockets her share of the gold, unsure of what she should get for their mission. Her parents usually handled that sort of thing for her. She would follow Astrinos's lead for now. ]

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/10 17:58:43 )

Astrinos thanks his employer once more and leaves the tavern "Lets be off then Rosemary! Back to Upper Dura for this...alchemist's fire. I hope this entire thing doesn't blow up in our faces." He makes an exploding motion with his hands and grins.

Always ping me please.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/12 23:24:05 )
You gotta @Mention me.

After leaving The Broken Anvil Rosemary and Astrinos begin to head back up from the lower wards of Sharn on a search for supplies in Upper Dura, avoiding the site of the earlier attempted ambush by the local thugs.
-
Taking another couple hours to ascend back up after their meeting, it's become about mid-day and you can hear the city clocks striking noon as you reach the Upper Ward of Dura.
- -
Crowded and bustling. This is not a wealthy ward, but the people are surviving, and some are clearly doing quite well for themselves. While there are a few upscale businesses, the merchants are clearly used to dealing with adventurers and others of questionable character.
- - -
There are still bums and beggars about in this upper area of Sharn, but they seem to have more life to them than the pitiable of the lower wards. Wretches upon the street corners flaunt their maladies and misfortune for passersby to gawk, hoping to garner pity and coin with their pan-handling.
- - - -
[Would you two like to just take a look around for shopping opportunities in general, or are you just searching specifically for an alchemist's shop?
Also, If you two wish so in the future, you can pay for transports to move about the city faster. Just FYI.]

Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.