Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Cirque ad Infinitum Act 3: Ran, the Sky Princess

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 17:28:57 )

Vanora tapped her lip in contemplation, "I wonder if this is the right place?"

Beside her, Vivienne took a look at the piece of paper they had acquired from city hall, and read it aloud: "Cirque ad Infinitum is looking for willing and able bodies to help with setting up our attractions. If you wish to lend your time and energy, seek the colored tents to the back of the fairgrounds." She glanced up and tilted her head, "I think so, Van! This tent is a pretty shade of blue, isn't it?"

"True, there's not much cause for concern. If anything, we can ask whoever's inside for details," Vanora nodded to herself and held the flap open for Vivi and you.

Vivi gasped at what she saw once inside. Tied around one of the support beams overhead was a ribbon, and attached to the ribbon near its bottom was a colored ring. And inside the ring was a small female form sitting impossibly on the thin ring, back against it with one foot braced on the opposite side. One leg dangled freely while both hands gripped the ring behind her head.

The young woman glanced at Vivi and smiled, releasing the ring to cross her arms. "You must be the hel-helpers," she let herself fall backwards and the ring swayed, but she had both feet hooked to maintain an upside down pose. "Hello! My name's Ran. It's ve-very nice to meet you all."

"Incredible," Vanora whistled and Vivi clapped enthusiastically. "A pleasure, Ran. My name is Vanora, this is Vivienne, and we brought some friends to serve as... carnival hands, was it?"

Ran smiled with her eyes, "Right you are! Though... my re-request is a bit different."

Vivi piped in at that point, "Oh? But we'll be happy to do whatever we can!"

"Tru-truly?" The girls offered affirmation in unison and the acrobat gave a sigh of relief, "Well then! Let's sh-share the deets for you good people."

"A few days ago, I held a little per-performance in the city to adver-advertise for our show, you see," Ran began. "So many fa-families came to see me, and it was... well, sur-surprising! I never thought soo many people could enjoy what I do, but all the kids seemed to be having a blast! I was be-beyond happy..." She twiddled her fingers with a shy smile, but it quickly fell - or in her unorthodox position, lifted - to a frown.

"Unfor-unfortunately, one of the kids wasn't doing so well. Emily was her name. Oh, but she was def-definitely excited! It's just, uhm... her body was so frail and she'd break into cou-coughing fits that really broke my heart." She shook her head and the momentum caused the lyra to sway, "Wha-whatever happens, I have to show her Cirque ad Infinitum! If-if she's distracted here, forced out of her cir-circumstances, then maybe... maybe she'll get just a bit better! So please - I know it's sel-selfish, but you have to find her. Convince her parents to, to bring her here, and I'll put on the best performance I can!"

Vivi held up a clenched hand, "Don't you worry, Ran! We'll find her and make doubly sure she can come!"

Vanora smiled, "Yes, I'm sure we'll be able to locate her in time especially with their help," she motioned to you all. "You can count on us!"

"That's what I wanted to hear!" Ran grinned and for the first time since the conversation began, didn't seem to stammer. "Now you might be wor-worried thinking... welp, she's se-sending us off on our own without any leads or anything, but I act-actually snagged her phone number!" Still in her upside down position, she slid a mobile device out of her costume which made the two girls look at each other in brief astonishment. How did anything fit there?

"It should be right here under my co-co-contacts?!" Her voice rose and she fell from the lyra suddenly, but landed on her feet without tearing her eyes away from the screen. "It looks like so-someone messed with my phone and now ever-everything's scrambled!" She glanced up with a sigh, "Well, I say so-someone but I know it was Connie - er well, Constance that is. Little sh- I mean..." Trailing off, she chuckled. "Da-darling girl really. SO! About that help?"

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 17:29:24 )
Summary
Ran needs your help to find a young girl named Emily,
but a certain clown consistently in trouble has tampered with her phone!
Follow the clues to unscramble the numbers in Ran's contacts...
One of them has to be her!

Instructions
7 blank boxes need to be filled with a number from 0-9 in order to find a phone number.
Follow the clues provided to discover which number belongs where.
You will be presented with a new number to solve until the correct one is found.
Numbers will be provided starting at 1 PM Voltra Time [now] & continue at 8 PM Voltra Time [later].

Prize
All participants will be granted a free Acrobat EI grant.
Additional copies will be available in Joyful Jamboree for purchase with Tickets.

Current Clue

[/img]https://i.imgur.com/PVgdvGL.png[/img]

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 17:30:24 )
As Vanora and Vivienne made their way up the drive of Emily's home, someone else was leaving.

"Ah, excuse me sir?" Vivi waved to him with a smile.

The older man stopped and seemed to take a second longer than necessary to answer, "Hello there, miss! What is it that you require?"

"Oh, uhm! Is this where... Emily lives?" Vanora walked up at that point but didn't interrupt. Merely tilted her head at the man's unorthodox glasses.

"Ah, yes, yes indeed! Are you friends of hers?"

"Sort of," Vanora answered. "We have some tickets for her to see Cirque ad Infinitum, the circus that just got into town."

"Ooh, I see, I see!" The well-dressed man held his hat with a nod, "Splendid, splendid. A good show will surely lift the girl's spirits, hm? I'm a traveling hypnotherapist, you see, and while my methods seemed to have helped, I do believe a high dosage of fun is in order." He shook his head, "Ah, but you didn't come to hear ole Smolkie ramble on! Don't keep the poor girl waiting, hm?" Smolkie took a bow and turned to leave.

"Oh, it was a pleasure meeting you Smolkie! I'm Vivienne Harper and this is Vanora Aria. If you're new to Voltra and need any help, don't hesitate to ask for us!"

He glanced over his shoulder, "Thank you, miss! I'll be sure to keep that in mind. You two be safe now, hm?"

The hypnotist left them to their own devices and took out his pocket watch. "Vivienne Harper, is it? I wonder..."

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 17:31:15 )
Ran heaved a sigh as she fell back into the Strongman's arms. Her performances were usually tied to his strength, and they had developed a close relationship over the years because of how much trust was necessary for him to assist her time and again.

Berinhard knew something was wrong when she missed all her poses, and didn't even notice he hadn't thrown her again. "What has the good lass so worried? Tell ole Berinhard what's the matter and he will try his best to be cheering you up!"

"Oh... I'm s-sorry, Berin," she blushed. "Was it that ob-obvious?"

"Aye, you are not like the butterfly soaring through the sky. You are more like bundle of logs, or thick caterpillar crawling along ground, or loathsome cocoon yet to do the hatching-"

She punched him in the bicep, "I get it, I get it! I su-suck right now... but they hav-haven't come back. Maybe they couldn't find her?"

"Mmm, and here I was thinking the lass was focused on other affairs of the heart," he offered a sly grin.

"I both love and ha-hate you, Berin," she turned her head with a 'hmph' and smiled mischievously. "Remind me to tell Arika you hurt my fee-feelwings. She'll kick your butt for sure." A pout danced across her features.

The Strongman's face went pale, "You... you would not be doing the telling, would you? Berinhard would be in the big trouble!"

"Of cour-course not, silly," she laughed. "It was a joke, Berin. Ju-just a prank."

Moments later, Lin announced the Sky Princess, and all eyes were on Ran as she dove off the highest platform of the big top. There was a collective gasp before she was caught by the Strongman and launched towards the audience. She struck a pose as she flew through the air and over their heads, a hand outstretched.

Through the shadows, a ribbon emerged for her to grab, and she clung to it. Her body's momentum caused it to swing and instead of allowing it to settle, she twisted her body around it to continue the airborne waltz. Swaying in a wide arc over spectators beneath, the Sky Princess had a strange moment of familiarity.

Her eyes lit up and she smiled big. 'It's her,' she cried inwardly. A little girl was up and cheering, not strapped to the medical device she called home. Her name was Emily, of course, and her emerald gaze was oh-so-vibrant. Her body may have been weak, her legs trembling so, but she stood tall with loving parents by her side.

'Th-thank you so much,' thought Ran as she caught Vanora and Vivi there too. Van gave her a thumbs up and Vivi waved frantically. A lyra descended in the center of the big top, then, and Ran, spirit renewed, leapt from her ribbon to beautifully contort along its length.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 18:10:53 )
    Oh God these puzzles keep on hurting my brain lmao

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 18:11:51 )
But Ran is so pretty

Question- Are numbers repeated or are they only used once?

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 18:13:02 )
@sunny: I know what you mean! Tha-thankfully I have you all to help me...

@Mousy: Thank you, miss!

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 18:17:30 )
@Mousy: Numbers can repeat in a clue, so be ca-careful!

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 18:17:43 )
Alright- so if the 3rd and 4th numbers have to add up to 12 and assuming numbers aren't repeated we have

for those 2 numbers.

This is where I'm starting.
If I figure it out, i'll put it in a spoiler. XD

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 18:19:50 )
All numbers are different then? the 7 of them?

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 18:20:39 )
Oh boy, more puzzles :^))
i feel like this is going to be like those dream where you're trying to call someone but just can't get the number right, rip
Sorry if Reply late!
Please ping me!

Questing

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 18:21:37 )
I had to use some funky algebra and guessing to solve this

381/500

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 18:34:48 )
hasn't it been... 20 minutes... xDD

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 18:36:59 )
THE GIRLS DIAL THE NUMBER... THE PHONE RINGS

Ran crossed her fingers hopefully as the phone rang. However, instead of hearing the sweet voice of a little girl, she was met with a booming, “Hello my friend?”

“Ah… Hey Berry. I’m sorry, we m-must have dialed the wrong n-number!”

“Well I am wishing you many lucks in dialing the right one!” The strongman cheered, “Also be sure to eat well, it’s past lunch havings and you’re already so small! You’ll disappear!”

WRONG NUMBER. A NEW NUMBER IS PRESENTED TO YOU...

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 18:49:00 )

my brain hurts now @.@

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 18:52:33 )
THE GIRLS DIAL THE NUMBER... THE PHONE RINGS

The phone rang once more, and Ran’s eyes lit up as a voice came purring from the other end, “Hello darling.”

Shaking her head, Ran smiles faintly from the familiar voice, “Heya Arika… S-Sorry… C-Connie touched my phone and my contacts are all a mess… I d-dialed the wrong number…”

"Oh, no worriess my sweet! Whether accidental or intentional, I'm alwayss available for you," the sultry voice pronounced each word as a snake would hiss. "You ssay Connie damaged your phone in ssome way? Hm, that one could use a sspanking of sseverity."

The acrobat sweatdropped, "Uh-heheh, well! Just be su-sure she can still walk, okay? None of us are good at being a clown!"

WRONG NUMBER. A NEW NUMBER IS PRESENTED TO YOU...

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 18:54:23 )
I Am Way Too Slow To Keep Up. Aaaaaaaaaaghhhh

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 18:54:53 )
@Godawful: You can do it *\o/*

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 18:58:14 )

Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Donator — she/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/28 18:59:45 )
I tried the first only to find out I should have looked that i was behind the crowd lol - not great at these number games. Good luck to anyone who tries

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.