Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Cirque ad Infinitum Act 2: Constance the Illusionary Clown

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 17:43:00 )

At the fairgrounds, volunteers gather early before the crowds.
A focused Vyc can be seen intently reading a flyer while rubbing his chin,
standing by the collection of individual troupe tents. After he is finished,
he gives a self-assured nod to himself, as if to confirm his comprehension.
Then, he finally notices you and the rest of the volunteers waiting patiently for his direction.
Smiling at you, then folding the paper into his back pocket, he waves hello,
and walks closer to everyone so that he could properly greet and address the group.

“Hey folks! Glad you could make it. I’m not sure how great I’ll be at organizing this volunteer stuff, but I’ll try my best
not to overload anyone.”
Placing his arm behind his head, he begins scratching at his neck and his eyes showing hints of guilt,
trail off sideways.
“Sorry, I don’t have much of the details yet of exactly what we are doing? I THINK we are waiting
for a member of the troupe to find our group and give us direction?...”

For the average person, it would be truly an honor, one that brings excitement- to meet and greet a member of the
famous troupe. Let alone help them physically set up for the ‘show of a lifetime’. Vyc however, seems rather unfazed,
though not necessarily disinterested.

"I swear I have been waiting for years. Where on Earth, are MY volunteers?
A young girl, who stands no more than 4’10” and dressed in full berry colored, clown garb, exits her mint hued
tent and begins pacing in circles while flailing her arms at seemingly nothing but pure agitation.

Looking slowly back to you and the group, Vyc gives a skeptical and concerned smirk.
“I believe that is our cue.”
Vycs optimism unintentionally falls flat. You all begin to approach the fuming clown, hearing her angst crescendo
as you get closer. Vyc stops just short of communicative distance from her to address you all once more.
“Virgil gave me solid advice once..... and that was to ‘never, ever meet your heroes'.Soooooo,
I hope that doesn’t apply to any of you here, heh….I’ll handle the little hot head. Just kick it back for now,
while I try to, uh- chill her out.”

Before the group or Vyc had realized, she was already staring them down. Arms crossed and nose up in a judgmental
demeanor that only thickened the air of her impatience and high expectations that were to be delivered.
Rhythmically tapping her toes, as if counting the seconds down it takes Vyc to initiate.

"You with the tattoos. Is it I, you’re here to amuse?”
She asks, tilting her head to the side in curiosity, eyes unwavering from Vyc’s.
Giving a sigh that with it releases any preconceived judgments, Vyc extends his hand down to the clown girl so to
convey a respectful gesture.

“Yes, hey there. Name’s Vyc. I have a group of volunteers with me as well.”
He takes a single step backward to half turn and point in your general direction.
We’re happy to help with whatever you need. Just point us where, and we’ll be there. Heh.”

The young girl reciprocates the gesture by reaching up for Vyc’s hand to shake. She flashes a charming smile that
implies both innocence and also mischief. Shaking their entwined hands with excessive vigor- she successfully startled Vyc.
He rolls his eyes and sheepishly smiles; understanding she is playing her role. Quickly releasing her hand from his,
she twirls on her toes so to face away from the group. Clears her throat. Then quickly spins back around and assertively points at Vyc.
This time, the extent of a reaction from him was simply to raise a brow.

"Call me Constance the clown. My wit, cannot let you down.
Permit me to practice on you, my favorite riddles. For I must test to see if your minds are fit as fiddles.”

"What kind of labor based volunteer work, requires a sharp intellect?”
Vyc’s question was meant to be to himself but he ended up muttering too loudly. He scratches at his neck
while trying to organize his thoughts on the matter.

Rolling her eyes and giving a quick smirk to the volunteers who are presently covering their mouths,
Constance smacks her own forehead in exaggerative disappointment.
"The kind that requires you to be on your toes and not fall for silly tricks, ya redneck.”
The volunteers who were successfully stifling their giggles now break out in a full laugh. Confused on why he was called a redneck ,
Vyc shrugs his shoulders and hands up as if he was saying 'What gives?' But as he did so, he then noticed his hands stained with
red ink, and it then also clicked that he stained his neck by scratching at it. An old trick, in an old book.
Vyc gives a sappy ‘ah-ha, you caught me. Ok. Ok. Moving on.’ Using only body and hand gestures,
as it was pointless to speak over the laughter. Constance begins to pace, as if it is a necessity to compile her thoughts,
and not doing so would prevent coherent communication. With every rhyme she tells she would speak a little bit
faster and move a little bit more chaotic. The scuffles of dirt and rocks beneath her very large shoes, layered with the
squeaks of her rubber soles in an absolutely obnoxious display.

"The mentally inferior shall not work for me! I have a business to run, I must earn my fee! If you were to
be dumb, how could I trust you? Might as well do it myself, dirty my own shoe. Take the challenge or stop wasting my time.
Every moment has a value, nickel and dime.”
Constance suddenly stops pacing, and rushes over to climb on top of a wooden
crate placed by her tent. Now, barely standing taller than Vyc she points her index finger to his forehead.
His face is blank, but not from annoyance. "Stand up to the plate and accept your mission, soldier!
But try not to take too long, I’ll get bored and grow much older.”

It quickly becomes evident to Vyc and and everyone else, there likely isn’t any real work to do here.
This young performer is simply excited to have a group of henchmen to command around and entertain her every whim.
Vyc turns to you, giving a friendly but semi-strained sarcastic look of ‘oh-how-exciting’.

He excuses himself to Constance for just a moment as he approaches the group again and starts muttering under his breath:
"I wouldn’t have signed up if I knew it was babysitting duty. Buuuuuut a jobs a job, so let’s pucker up and show
the kid what we got and solve her riddles..... We DID say we would help in anyway that we can, right?”

You aren’t sure if Vyc’s question is actually to you, or an out loud thought for himself. You come to terms that it is likely both,
and prepare yourself for Constance's challenge.

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 17:43:10 )

[size=18]The rules are quite simple you see.

Just stick around to solve a riddle, two or three.
Please make sure you put your answer in a spoiler tag.
Or else others who show late can't play, it'd be a drag.
Oh and before you cheat, captain Mcdougal.
Not all of these riddles can be found on google.
Courtesy of yours truly-that would indeed be me.
Wouldn't be a show if it didn't have some originality.
You could just quit, thats an option to select.
But you'd fail the test, due to weak intellect.
-Anticipating disappointment,Constance.

What's the next number? Hmmmmm?

I'm extremely healthy for you.
If you never heard of me before, you'd think I'm crunchy chocolate.
Im hard and fiberous hairy on the outside.
In times of extreme crisis, when there is no other option,
I can be used short term to help with transfusions or
hydration. Due to that little fact, a lot of exaggeration claims
have come about my usefulness in the holistic community,
resulting in people getting hurt over using me...or relying on me
to treat things I never could. It's even featured on snopes...
What am I?

Sunny went to the police to report that someone had stolen her vintage ring. When the police got to her house they notice that the window was broken, there was a total mess inside, and there were dirty footprints on the carpet. But, there were no other signs of a break-in.

The next day, the police arrested Sunny for fraud. Why?

Berinhard is put in a cell with a dirt floor and only one window. The window is too high for him to reach. The only thing in the cell is a shovel. He won’t be able to get any food or water and only has two days to escape or he’ll die. Berinhard can’t dig a tunnel because it will take him much longer than two days to do it. How will Berinhard escape from the cell?

A chemist was murdered in his own lab. The only evidence was a piece of paper that had the names of chemical substances written on it. The substances were nickel, carbon, oxygen, lanthanum, and sulfur. The chemist only had three people come by his lab on the day of the murder: fellow scientist Claire, his nephew Nicolas, his wife, and his friend Marc. The police arrested the murderer right away. How did they know who it was?

(After all solved, feel free to follow along the thread to hear several jokes...and insults...and other riddles.
I'd tell you don't worry Constance doesn't bite...but she does...so...at enter at your own discretion. Its probably
entertaining to read through the pages too. -Vyc)

[/size]

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 17:44:20 )

"Alright, Constance. We won fair and square. No more riddles.
You can give us the big boy work now. ”

Vyc slightly raising his octave to appear friendly.
Constance gives a hesitant giggle while looking down at her feet, as she circles her shoe in the dirt making meaningless shapes.
You just don’t know it yet. Sorry- life’s a craze.”

Something about her tone didn’t seem to fit the playful narrative to Vyc. For a moment a pinching guilt nabbed at his chest
as it sinks in a bit deeper than before that she’s likely just a typical kid, like any other; that has a lot of pressure on her and
wanted some form of emotional release. At the end of the day, it must be hard being a full time worker at her age, clown or no clown.
Extending his hand out, Vyc pats her head and tells her she did a real good job. Detailing how she made the volunteers laugh and
have a good time. At first Constance seems startled . Her eyes meet his confused for a moment. Drips of Vyc’s empathy for her
can be felt from his touch and she pulls away in recoil. Quickly, she recovers back in character. Excessively dusting off her pants
that didn’t need to be dusted and reinstating her trained demeanor.

" Alright, alright, that was just a sneak peek! If we hang out any longer, my show will reek.
Off be with you all, to the seats in the tent. Thanks for letting my riddles have a good vent. Good bye, and farewell!
But hush hush, others do not tell!”

Vyc lingered, letting most of the volunteers get a head start. His guilt still left him with a compulsion to give praise to Constance
that he figured she doesn’t hear enough. "I hope you regularly remind yourself of how good you are doing.
Working to help make others happy. Quite noble, if ya ask me. Take care of yourself, kiddo.”
Vyc says smiling while
walking away, waving good bye with his back turned.
Constance contemplated his words for a moment and how they made her feel. Then- rapidly shaking her head to dismiss the thought.

"How good I’m doing? No I don’t.
I can’t and I won’t.”

"Was th-that really all you wa-wanted them to do, Connie?”
Constance looks up to see Ran, the Sky Princess of the circus:
her fellow friend and barely older sister from the orphanage.
Ran, presently donning a robe over her outfit- likely to prevent unfinished makeup from flaking off onto it,
prompts Constance to follow her back to the makeup room within the tent.

Constance states blandly while leaning on the desk and mirror set Ran is doing the final touches of her makeup at as she pulls out
her own calculator and pen to finish tallying some loose ends.
"You only rh-rhyme around me when you are stressed …Is there something I can help you with? I have a good piece
of free time ri-right now.”
Placing her fake eyelashes and fanning them so that the glue may dry quicker, Ran turns back
to face Constance, unashamed of how silly she probably looks fanning her eyes aggressively. Constance stifles her chuckle.
"My bad. Just been harder for me to break character lately, ya know?
I’m still envious of how you approach every job…always so cool and…disturbingly chipper”

Constance starts biting at her fingernails out of nervous habit. Clearly distracted by anxiety inducing thoughts.
Ran decides to close the case of makeup in front of her, so to give Constance more honest attention. She scrunches her lips for
a moment and twiddles her fingers as she tries to sort how to approach something of a lighter subject.
"Constance!! How about when this show is over I teach you how to do ma-ma-makeup?”
Ran suggests with extra pep in her tone and eyes full of hope that this would change the mood for the better.
A fire now returning to Constance’s tone from the previous funk she was in, she lashes her head away from the
calculator towards Ran defensively.

"Are you seriously suggesting that I do not 'know how' to do my own clown make up? ??
Ran’s facial expression shifts from alarmed, to confused to a laughing acceptance of the miscommunication.
" No, you silly girl. I don’t mean c-clown makeup. I mean fe-feminine makeup! Getting DOLLED up.”
The tenseness that could initially be seen on Constance’s face quickly fades to nonchalant. Which is still a win for Ran’s efforts
considering Connie is no longer gnawing at her nails anymore. "Oh…But I always have to wear clown make up.
So what would be the point? My face needs to breathe on non performance days if I don’t wanna look like a pepperoni pizza.”

Ran popped up over Constance’s shoulder startling her. Her silent movements, famously spooking her over the years.
The look of excitement and anticipation filled in Ran’s eyes gave Constance nothing but heebie-jeebies as she knew
Ran was already plotting and planning a non-consensual glitzy glammy bonding session.
The point is, imagi-gining a life, outside of the circus. Don’t you w-want to fall in love someday??”
Retreating back to her chair, Ran twirls around in it while looking to the ceiling so to more easily envision her thoughts while talking.

"Life outside, huh? Didn't know you were such an idealist, Ran...”
Constance was being sarcastic, but Ran didn’t catch it.
"You don’t have to be an i-idealist to have goals! Makeup also has other uses too! Like if you aren’t fe-feeling
well on a specific day, it can help hide your tiredness, ya k-know? People perceive you differently and with m-more respect.
It can be liberating.”
After trailing off, Ran realizes Constance is no longer beside her and is now in a distant corner;
counting and organizing money from the last minute ticket sales. Frustrated, Ran whines out.
"C-CONNIEEEEE!”
Constance turns to re-acknowledge Ran, blankly. Still not ceasing muttering numbers under her breath as she continues to count.

"Did you hear a-anything I said!”
"Ninety-six, ninety-seven, ninety-eight, ninety-nine, one flippin hundred! Times nine full piles, equals $900
in last minute ticket sales. And yes, dear sister, I was listening. Makeup may mask problems, and make you feel empowered.
Money however, can FIX problems. Money can buy and become power. Spending money on makeup therefore feels
irrational to me.”
Placing the stacked and separated piles of income into a safe, Constance locks it and sits ontop of it,
resting her face in the palm of her hand while giving her attention back to Ran.

"Ba-bad Doggo! Much chastising. Such cli-cliché.” Ran teases with her eyes widening as wide can be.
In response, Constance hops up and begins clucking like a bird in a competitively more exaggerative fashion.
"Sorry (cluck) TRASH DOVE (cluck), can’t hear youuuuuuu. (cluck, cluck)”
Ran laughs and dabs her eyes carefully with cloth, so not to smudge any of the fine detail work she achieved on her look.
"W-well this conver-versation turned into a trainwreck qu-quick.”

"Not as much of a trainwreck as it is your efforts into doing your makeup on non-work days;
despite the fact the object of your affection is uh, BLIND!”

Ran’s face scrunches up in a flare of annoyance and she raises the mascara in her hand threatening to throw it at Constance,
who in response giggles and slips behind the curtain as Lin announces her on stage. A cleverly timed comment.
"Looooove youuuuuuu.” being the last thing she states before completely dashing off.
"What a b-brat.” Ran says to herself in a mild hissy. Despite her heart low key stinging at
Constance’s comment, she takes a deep breath that lets her forgive her on exhale. Sealing up the cap of her eye liner,
Ran stares herself in the mirror sadly before flicking the lights off. Constance has enough ethical integrity to not tease
Ran for her stammer, but struggles to understand what jokes may or may not hurt others.
The troupe as a whole often forgives her, knowing she means no harm and just in her own way, struggles to socialize.

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 17:45:52 )
In a single hop that almost looked like gliding, Constance boards her miniature firetruck and drives it forward to center stage. The crowd having mixed cheering and Awes as they gushed over her adorable appearance. Making a deliberate effort to perish those thoughts- Constance unwinds her fire hose and rapidly fills a balloon 10 times the size of herself with water. She holds a simple small needle and makes comical gestures to pop the balloon as a threat to the audience. Anticipating they will get soaked, the crowd shouts out mixes of No! from parents and yes! from kids- bracing themselves to be splashed with an eruption of water. Satisfied with herself, Constance pops the balloon anyway, but just as it looks like water would spray the entire audience, instead they are greeted with rainbow confetti and not a drop of water to be seen. The crowd shows relief, laughs and then cheers unsure of how she did it.

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 18:23:33 )
Ok gonna give this a try :')

That's *cough* obviously *cough* a crafting recipe for a portal to my way out * tries to fit everything in pitcher*
Abra kadabra
Ahem, totally works

When they opened the window either a bee/butterfly/other insect that that pollinates/likes sweet stuff got in and led him right to the
real flower?

Money, makes or breaks things, brings together or tears people apart, it all depends on what you do with it?
Oh and the shapes, virtual, coins, paper etc

no clue, had i had any knowledge about physics however, hmm
Totally didn't try to consult google to step up my physics game.
Ions?? I don't even know how all that works rip, forgive me

No clue, a scream? That's totally how I scream

My brain hurts :^)

Voltie — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 18:26:59 )
What does the future hold~?

Ah, riddles, a weakness in mine brain. I like them but I'm not great, either... Haha...welp. I think I got some but *shrugs*

584/750

I will find out one second at a time~
"I'm the loser of the game you didn't know you were playing."

Ping me for a response.

"Someday, somewhere, somehow..."

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 18:28:07 )

I'm gonna have the pitcher pitch the sphere and smack it with the brown bat for a home run or as jack gets told on accident in hook a run home so that I may escape the trap.

Voltie — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 18:29:39 )

I suck at riddles but here are my guesses.

You throw the ball at the wall so that it bounces back towards you. You grab the bat and swing. Three strikes you're out.

A butterfly landed on the real flower?

Is it maybe Money?

Is it maybe H2O?
I honestly have no idea with this one.

The answer is Eye.

And I thought saltine crackers were salty.
Chat with me here if you wanna!

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 18:30:56 )
Open a flap, cuz this sounds like a softball batting tent

A bee came in through the open window, and lead Jack to the one real flower.

A die, part of a set of dice.

A battery

Envelope

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 18:33:11 )
We\'ll carry on

/stares at the clown
O.O

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 18:33:41 )
me reading the other answers:
ohh that kind of pitcher :vanora_sweat: i thought the glass thing, rip. Baseball isn't that big of a thing here, at all, omg.

Sorry if Reply late!
Please ping me!

Questing

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 18:39:10 )

Siron
the idea is that as a riddle you think of the glass pitcher and a living bat. :3

Either a bee or another insect game in through the window to land on the real flower. Or the real flower is the only one that turned towards the sun because flowers do that.

Currently recovering from large amounts of PTSD. I'll post when I can, please ping for replies. Things are very difficult for me right now.

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 18:40:54 )

Mousy: You got #2
Shadami: Close so close but no!
Kiwi: Got 5 right
Boss Rimi: 1&2 right, the rest no
Ralla: 1 no but close
the rest you got!

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 18:43:41 )

WHICH SIDE OF A CAT HAS THE MOST FUR?

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 18:50:54 )

YES

A KING, QUEEN AND TWO TWINS ALL LAY IN A ROOM.
BUT HOW IS THERE NO ADULTS?

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 18:53:25 )
they're cards
Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 18:53:47 )

WRONG

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 18:53:59 )

Constance:
[size=16][align=center][color=#3EB095]
YES

A KING, QUEEN AND TWO TWINS ALL LAY IN A ROOM.
BUT HOW IS THERE NO ADULTS?

[/color][/align][/size]

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 18:57:40 )

YES

WHAT FLIES WITHOUT WINGS?

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/27 18:57:43 )
I'm so bad at riddles
These answers are such a stretch

The room is made entirely of glass, so you could use the brown bat to smash your way outside??

Wow this answer is uhhhh
So when the man opens the window, bees and butterflies come into the room to pollinate the real flowers. So the man picks the only flower that has been pollinated?? that can happen in 20 minutes right (... this country has a large population of bees and butterflies...)

Fingerprints??? Idk I can't even explain

Blood???
I don't really understand the “innie and outtie” part but uhh blood goes in and out of things (veins/arteries??)?? Maybe this is referring to the dented shape of red blood cells?
BLOOD (plasma) HAS ELECTROLYTES
Blood types are referred to by letters and umm I guess you could refer to the amount of red blood cells by number?
Blood types can be positive or negative...

envelope

357/500

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.