Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Literature Recent Book Purchases

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/5 23:22:55 )
Locked due to 6+months of inactivity in the thread. If you would like this thread unlocked, please PM a mod.

I've been buying books like Vengeance buys nail polish lately, and I was curious about everyone else's recent purchases. Any of them you'd recommend? Any you wish you'd never bought?

My recent purchases:

Donator — He Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/13 15:57:28 )
I just bought "What If It's Us" and its quite good tbh

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/20 19:38:55 )
A bunch of books about herbs and gathering stuff in forests. Since you know, I live in the middle of one. XDD;;

Oh my love, I know you are my candyman
And oh my love, let us fly to bounty land~~

Közi (“Kouji.”)
He/him

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/2 03:10:54 )
Decided to buy everyone books for Christmas this year, and socks...I bring the gift of imagination and comfort! Lol

Donator — She/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/25 13:48:02 )
The last books I bought were from a tag sale and definitely worth it. I already read the Terry Pratchett one. I would definitely recommend reading anything by Terry Pratchett. His books are so freaking funny. I also picked up Pet Semetary by Stephen King and Handmaid's Tale.
Feel free to ping me. I'm forgetful.
Temp Free Avatar Art
Trading and Selling Items

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/27 18:08:00 )
I try so hard not to buy more books until I work through my enormous TBR pile, but...I fail!

Right now I'm reading "The Body Institute" by Carol Riggs. I asked my parents to get me that for Christmas...two years ago. lol!! Meanwhile, I preordered the debut volume of a new graphic novel series and it arrived today from Amazon and I read that, too. But I still have older things that need catching up on! Never enough time.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/31 23:07:35 )
I bought Prison Profiteers a while ago but I haven't actually gotten around to reading past the first few pages. It's not a bad book; I just have an infamously bad attention span and medication didn't do squat for it.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/2 22:05:22 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

Just bought these last week:

The Selfish Gene -Richard Dawkins
Willpower Instinct -Kelly Mcgonigal (starting today)
The Righteous Mind - Jonathan Haidt
The body keeps the score -Bessel Von der kolk (Just finished this one yesterday)

It's my thing to buy four books at a time- read them then buy four more. Otherwise
I'd just buy hundreds of books and get a backlog. xD

Voltie — she/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/7 07:08:03 )
Ahh so I bought a few kindle books for this long car ride I am going on. (I won’t be driving.) they are mostly cheesy, grocery store quality romance novels. I’m a real sucker for those. The one I am recently got is called “the summer house” if I remember correctly there wasn’t any defining features to the main character, so I like to imagine she looks like me! That’s one of my favorite things to do when there is vague or no details on a characters features, haha.

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/12 06:18:03 )
Last books I bought?

Both current volumes of Pop Team Epic.

...manga counts, right?
See what conventions I'll be at next

Final Fantasy XV: Worst. Bachelor Party. EVER.

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/12 15:39:11 )
╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍
Oh! I've read the Asylum series. It's... Interesting? I have mixed feelings about it because I like the concept of the plot but for some reason I couldn't get myself into many of the characters. Felt rather plain to me... but that's just my opinion.

My recent purchases are mostly just books on writing. How to write character arcs, how to create compelling plotlines, etc. One book I am looking forward to receiving in the mail is one by Hirihiko Araki... In it he describes his creative process as a manga artist and that kind of thing is fascinating to me.

╍╍Gʀᴇᴇᴛɪɴɢꜱ Fʀᴏᴍ╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍Tʜᴇ Lᴏɴᴇʟʏ Cɪᴛʏ╍╍
Pʟᴇᴀꜱᴇ @ ᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ɢᴇᴛ ᴀ ʀᴇꜱᴘᴏɴꜱᴇ.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/12 17:43:23 )
I would give anything for you to shine down on me

@another movie addict: whenever I go to a bookstore, I always end up with 2-4 books when I wasn't planning to buy anything
recently, I've been buying lots of poetry books and memoirs/think-pieces by black/af-am writers

@selikait: oooh i've been meaning to read handmaid's tale, and i've always wanted to read stephen king novels, but i get scared waayy too easily lol

I've recently been reading Harry Potter for the first time, so I've had to keep myself away from bookstores until I finish the series

@ me tho. | Hangout. | OCs. | Avatars.
looking to buy: ARIES

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/13 20:25:04 )
Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!

@Deaa: How are you enjoying the HP series so far? I originally read it while it was still being written, so going to the book releases was a real treat :)

I write Harry Potter fanfiction now -- I find that I almost enjoy some of the fanfics more than the books at this point! Especially the darker themed ones :D Right now, I'm focusing on a couple of crossover fics - HP as BCC Sherlock's son, which has gotten some pretty good reviews.

And, of course, In Renascentia Azkaban, which I've posted the first part of here on Voltra. That one is a crossover between HP and The Old Kingdom / Abhorsen Series by Garth Nix. The link is in my signature, if you want to check it out :)

I should probably give the books another read-through, though. It's been a while since I sat down and read them in full.

We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?
Mellonin's Ramblings

Donator — Any Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/16 04:49:45 )
I've recently obtained 11/13 A Series of Unfortunate Events books. I wanted to pick up where I left off when I was a kid, and I was going to watch the Netflix series after.

[Quests][Store]

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.