Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Isn't annoying

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/9 19:38:31 )

When you order a used book, and the vendor does not warn you that there will be library markings?

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/9 19:45:02 )

That really sucks. They should have told you.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/9 19:46:06 )

They really should have. Like I'm not super 'must be perfect' like some book nerds, but I'd appreciate a heads up is all.

Donator — ILOVEPUGS Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/9 20:04:40 )
@another movie addict: where did you buy from? Have you heard of thriftbooks.com? They have really cheap used books and free shipping on orders over 20, and they tell you if it's a library edition of nah :3

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/9 20:05:11 )

I order a lot of books from thriftbooks, so I am used to stuff like that.
Doesn't bother me.
As long as there's nothing really wrong with the book, I don't care.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/9 20:08:56 )

@Luffer Nutter: I buy using the 'used' options on Amazon, since how I buy books it through one of those pts for gift cards sites. They used to have those pre-paid credit/gift card things. But just Amazon cards now.

Donator — ILOVEPUGS Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/9 20:11:27 )
Ah I see, I've never bought used books from amazon so I am not familiar with their practices, but I would think anytime selling a used books you should say if it's from a library >w<

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/9 20:12:44 )

Most of the vendors I buy from do, but every once and a while you get those ass holes that won't tell you. One didn't even mention that the hardback I ordered didn't have it's dust cover anymore.

Donator — ILOVEPUGS Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/9 20:12:59 )
@anarchist beauty: I have a serious thiftbooks addiction XDD

But as far as my experience goes they state if it is a library edition, I have yet to get any surprise markings in my books, though I do wish they wouldn't put the barcode sticker on the side sometimes they're difficult to remove from paperbacks X____X

Donator — ILOVEPUGS Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/9 20:13:40 )
@another movie addict: okay I would flip about the missing cover and absolutely want to return it XD

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/9 20:14:33 )

@Luffer Nutter: Eh I donated it to my local Goodwill, not because of the dust cover though. It just wasn't something that I was going to ever reread.

Donator — ILOVEPUGS Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/9 20:26:45 )
@another movie addict: that is a good idea to do, especially if it wasn't something you super cared about and didn't want to deal with the hassle. I usually buy used book to try to collect first editions of my faves so the condition of the book is relatively important to me >w<

eeee ee eeee smoke weed everyday
(legitimately googled if this was pg-13 appropriate because I try to be a respectful stoner. So like you're welcome teenagers)
Working on a new signature.
PS-I LOVE PUGS

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/9 20:33:28 )
That, and giant stickers on the front / spine of delicate books. I once bought an aged collection of Oscar Wilde's writings, and someone at the thrift shop decided to put the price tag on the paper cover rather than the more durable spine. Went to remove the price tag (carefully, mind you) and totally ripped some of the paper off the cover.. q-q The more papery stickers (as opposed to glossier, more plastic-feeling ones) are the worst culprits. >:C

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/9 20:40:01 )

@Luffer Nutter: Yeah when I got after the first few books of the Dresden Files, then I'll give a shit about the condition of the books. Especially at the price most of them go for now.
@Vii: Ugh I hate those stickers so much, there were idiots that would put those ON THE COMIC BOOK whenever I buy comics at a thrift store.

Donator — pancake Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/10 12:21:08 )
I never order used books because I'm always worried about them being worn out...

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/10 18:00:39 )

@blinkini: Sadly I have to order used, it's just way cheaper for me.

Donator — pancake Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/10 21:43:12 )
@Another Movie Addict: That's very fair. All I ever do is order ebooks and read them on my phone, in the dark. =/

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/10 21:45:55 )

@blinkini: Oddly most books I want to read, the hard copy is actually cheaper than the ebook version. Not every time, but sometimes. I pick the format based on which one is cheaper.

Donator — pancake Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/11 10:14:52 )
@Another Movie Addict: That's pretty darned crazy! :O
I just find it easier, as I only usually want to read when my boyfriend is asleep.
And I live in a studio apartment, so there's not really anywhere I could go that would be comfortable and I could turn a light on... =/

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/11 13:27:26 )

D< ugh, different book. Some idiot lamenated the dust cover, then glued it to the book. So I can't remove the library markings.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.