Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Artist Galleries Moody's Sketchbook|Updated: 8/10/22

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 22:03:04 )

@MoodyBats: I used to always hide my hands.
So I can totally relate to that. XD
But... you'll figure 'em out eventually, I have every confidence you will ^ ^

And it's ALWAYS good to like changes to a character!

♯ Lay on a field of green | with Mother Eve | with Father Pine reaching high | Look at yourself in the eyes of aye-aye | Unfolding rendezvous ♯

Voltie — Moody Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 22:12:35 )
Batsy Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Amber Lynne: yeah i use to do that too but i also use to not use references for hands.
But since using reference i feel it's been super helpful.
I am also trying to train myself to warm up first. Which is very challenging lately.
Thank you.

I can't wait to finish her. I've been working on her for a few months I think?
I even made a sim character of her in sims 4 lol.

@Priestess of Pie: i think every artist has done that at least once.
Though since i've been drawing hands using references i feel it has helped a lot.
As well as learning how to break it down into different shapes.

I am so bad at shapes.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 22:14:33 )

@MoodyBats: Yeah i've tried that too but there's so many small parts that overlap when drawing hands, and foreshortening besides. I do... ok... but I still have a lot to improve.

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 22:18:42 )

@MoodyBats: For some people, referenecs aren't so required - I rarely use them, for instance.
For others, they are a godsend!
Never be ashamed of using references, either~<3 (Not that you are, I just know people tend to be. DX)

And ooohhh, that's fair!
As long as her creation is going as you're liking, all good ~<3

♯ Lay on a field of green | with Mother Eve | with Father Pine reaching high | Look at yourself in the eyes of aye-aye | Unfolding rendezvous ♯

Voltie — Moody Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 22:25:18 )
Batsy Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Priestess of Pie: foreshortening i have not even begun to try. :vanora_sweat:
Hands and art is art. I feel so far from my art goal.

@Amber Lynne: It depends on where your at in art.
I feel very beginner so I am super dependent on them as I don't really draw a whole lot.
I would love to draw everyday but i don't always have ideas or the energy unfortunately.

I use to be and then i started following a lot of artists on my social media and telling you not to be afraid of using them.
So then i began to use them. Plus whenever I drew a pose without it, it looked really bad.
And i want to get better so now i hoard a ton of refs on my pinterest.

I feel it is. I feel the final touch though is some sort of boa or fur coat as I feel it suits
the vibe i have for her.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 22:27:09 )

Yeah references are such a touchy subject for some people, but they shouldn't be. I think some people confuse "reference" with tracing but that's not it at all. I use references all the time when I don't know how to draw something. I like to pull up several images from different angles so I can see what the thing looks like and get a feel for it in 3 dimensional space. That really helps me visualize.

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 22:30:02 )

@MoodyBats: That's very true.
Just because you are dependent now, there is no guarantee you'll always be reliant.
Eventually, you'll just have to try without a reference and see how it goes~<3

And yeah... I hate how people are so ... iffy, I suppose, with references. It's just... whyyy?
I mean, ok. Don't directly copy it line for line or whatever, and make sure to SAY you used a reference if it wasn't your own photo or whatever, but... I just don't get the stigma regarding it, personally.

Also, ohhh, sketch 'em both and see what you prefer?

Voltie — Moody Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 22:40:04 )
Batsy Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Amber Lynne: True. Though I don't mind being reliant on them.
I tend to be a very lazy person and think "Oh i can just draw it without it"
and find out later i can't lol.

I'll probably try once i get better at value and coloring and drawing.
It's pretty far from trying without them since i did just start recently using refs. :vanora_sweat:

Some people think using references is Cheating in art. Which is kinda weird.
Like you won't be good at something new when you first try it.
Digital art honestly in general gets a bad rep and thinks the computer will do all the work for you.
Like we aren't that advanced in technology where it does the work for you XD
There are some programs where it makes it easier but not do the work for you lol.

Yeah i think i will. Collecting refs on it right now.

@Priestess of Pie: for real. I read a post once from an artist who teaches and when her students
say they used no ref to kinda brag about it she feels she kinda has to burst their bubble
as it shows in their work when they don't use references. Some people just think it's cheating.
But your not going to learn if you don't use them. Soon you won't need them but in the beginning you do.

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 22:43:37 )

@MoodyBats: To be perfectly honest, if I see two hyper realistic images, one digital, and one traditional, tradition is more impressive to me. Granted, digital is just inherently easier, what with layers, layer styles, changing brush sizes so quickly and easily, oh, and UNDO being a thing. There's no under when you work traditionally, LOL.
Plus, if you work in pencil, you gotta try not to smudge all of the graphite. Which is annoying as hell. Lol.

Now, that's not to say that I think digital is super easy. It still takes skill. It's just easier overall, I think.
I do both, for whatever that's worth

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 22:45:08 )

Honestly most professional artists DO use references of some kind. To not would be limiting yourself. Learning to draw is learning to see and to translate what you're seeing into a 2 dimensional image. There's almost no instance when a reference wouldn't improve the quality of the image.

Also, digital saves time, but without the fundamentals like anatomy, perspective, composition, etc. it doesn't mean much.

Voltie — Moody Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 22:53:54 )
Batsy Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Amber Lynne: probably why i don't do traditional art.
No layers and undo buttons.
I work with a lot of layers though i'm noticing. At least 20-40 layers I use lol.
It doesn't seem like it though since my art is pretty basic. :vanora_sweat:

I only do practices in traditional. Everything else I do digital.
I don't think either is easier than the other. Mostly because i've been struggling very much to the point
of many break downs over digital art alone lol.

@Priestess of Pie: Very true. It's just overall good to use references.
References are just nice to have and use.
And yes that is also true.

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 22:55:34 )

@MoodyBats: Everyone has their personal opinions on things. Just because I think digital is inherently easier and you disagree, don't mean you're wrong =)
It's just imy experiences. Lol.

Also, aart can be hard.
BUT
The good thing is that you're working at it, you're trying to improve, and damn you're actually succeeding~<3

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 22:58:00 )

I do sometimes miss working with traditional media though... it's a very satisfying tactile experience that you just can't get with digital. That being said, I don't miss having my hands covered in pencil and marker. ^^; Don't even get me started on pastels.

Voltie — Moody Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 22:58:45 )
Batsy Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Amber Lynne: True everyone has their own opinion and experience as well.
I use to want to make nice traditional art so i could do like post cards or something.
But makes me too nervous i'll probably have a mental breakdown over that too.

Art makes me have many breakdowns haha.

Makes me happy to hear that since i've honestly been struggling for months
and thinking "I'm not improving at all."

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 23:00:20 )

@MoodyBats: That's relatable. you don't always see your improvement, because you see the entire progress, if that makes sense?
If you want to test your improvement level, draw a piece again.
Grab one that you either loved or hated, whatever, but one that you felt... I suppose.. notable? for your style at the time of drawing it, and redraw it. Change it as you wish and compare them after the fact.
I can pretty much guarantee you'll see a difference between them - whether it's good or bad

Voltie — Moody Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 23:02:51 )
Batsy Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Amber Lynne: i'll probably redraw my alien witch piece I did like...2 years ago.
it never got finished because i didn't use a reference for the pose at all.
I actually want to redraw that one though because it kinda holds somewhat bad memories for me
since i drew and made that character when i was with my now ex.

Very true. Though looking at that piece i can tell i have improved at least with faces and heads.
And i struggled so hard as i first drew it when i didn't have a tablet.

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 23:05:41 )

@MoodyBats: Ohhh, seeing any improvement from jus tlooking at a previous image is definitely a good thing!

Honestly, I never liked your art at first. I felt your well.. everything... seemed really skewed, and not in a stylised way.
I've been watching your improvement though. While I didn't like your art in the beginning, I DID see the potential. Nice clean lines and whatnot, for instance.

And redrawing that one would likely be a good idea. Could be a healing one if you need it too!
Associate the new one with pleasant things, stuffs you like and enjoy now~<3
Could be a very very good idea ^ ^

Voltie — Moody Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 23:10:28 )
Batsy Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Amber Lynne: tbh i don't think anyone did lol.
Not even myself.

Though i'm still in the phase where i don't like my art much or i don't feel
many do. I like maybe one or two pieces at a time. So i'm constantly doubting my skills. I'm trying not to as much as it just
acts up my depression a lot and adds unnecessary stress to me.

I really love colors. I might even ask ideas for a new name for her.
As it still has the name my ex gave her. And I just want nothing of him glued to that piece
because I do love the character. Just not anything associating it with my ex.

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 23:12:52 )

You should redraw her then. ^^ Reborn with a new name and a new pic. I'm looking forward to it.

And self doubt is something that all artists struggle with from time to time, but I guarantee you that you're better than you think and that no matter how good anyone gets, there's always someone better and always someone worse, so don't bother to compare. Just focus on your own journey and have a good time doing it.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/24 23:14:39 )

@MoodyBats: That's fair.
Again, I can totally relate.
A lot of my earlier crap is... horrid and I'm embarrased by it. Lol. (there are a few that are good and I like, but overall? yeahhh I'd rather burn it. LOL)
But it's good to keep to see my progress~<3

And renaming her is completely fair.
If you need/want help, I'm willing to help you come up with a name. I like naming characters. XD (I create characters JUST so I have a chara with X name. Lol)

My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.