Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat 2 week attention span

Voltie — she/her Posted 7 months ago ( 2023/10/3 14:42:06 )

I have noticed lately that I can only keep up with something for 2 weeks before I seemingly-uncontrollably become distracted.
Have not really put my finger on what exactly I get distracted by. But I think I've kinda always been this way, its just more noticeable cause I'm spending too much time at home

This is meant to be read in a lowkey tone, its not really serious (hence putting it in general chat). But it does get in the way of personal projects.
So it is something I'm trying to work on getting better about!

Do any of you relate to this?
What do you do to combat it, has it helped?

Voltie — she/her Posted 7 months ago ( 2023/10/3 15:27:29 )

I cant afford a therapist, which is why I have to ask in this way

but I'm also anti-meds (for myself, only, not at others!!) so there's no real point anyway, for how expensive it is.
but I rather not elaborate on that here

Aside from this, I'm doing well!!
I got SO addicted to baldur's gate 3 recently, so I've been spending a lot of time on that
and drawing as usual ♥

Donator — She/her Posted 7 months ago ( 2023/10/3 17:23:32 )

I think maybe it’s not as rare as it seems. 14 days is a long time and it’s possible to get tired of things and you can also pick it back up later. :)

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — They/He Posted 7 months ago ( 2023/10/3 17:43:02 )

ah yes, that'd be what I refer to as my commitment issues
cuz while the term is usually used for relationships
I can't stay committed to literally anything ever and its a problem

Don\'t know how to use/read tone tags?
Go Here!

Donator Posted 7 months ago ( 2023/10/4 13:40:38 )
This happens to me too... mainly with video games, and things I get intrested in. I've been playing a fair amount of Starfield lately so I totally get the BG3 thing, lol.

Donator — she/her Posted 7 months ago ( 2023/10/4 21:28:33 )

I struggle with this a lot. Like Max's reply, I believe it has a lot to do with my commitment issues and the other issues that stem along those lines (verified through therapy). Committing to things is so hard for me that a few years ago I tried challenging myself to commit to things and kept tally of the days I succeeded. But then it got hard to commit to tallying, so eventually I gave up entirely. ==; I might try it again just to see how it goes.

❀❀❀❀

Check out my shop! Currently selling Winter '21 Plasma Orb Items and more.

Voltie — she/her Posted 7 months ago ( 2023/10/5 14:27:44 )

@Totalanimefan:
Thanks for the encouragement! Trying to put it into that perspective might be helpful ♥

@MaxIsConfused:
@Ark:
Commitment issues makes a lot of sense. I definitely have thought about this frequently for a long time.
I commit well when it comes to people/relationships! But for some reason with anything else, I have a hard time.
Of course, I wish I could pick a therapist's brain about it, but without the funds to do so I just have to search for behavioral exercises myself. XD

@neon:
Oh I used to have a sticky note widget on my phone screen to help me keep track of things. Then it became 4 sticky notes, each of them full of text, and it killed my battery
Did it help?
Maybe with one or two things, but not a life changer.

I just made a solo discord server too, just for jotting things down.

@macsen191:
I heard Starfield is really good! I'm avoiding it so I dont feel tempted to spend money on it right now XD
Like... maybe next year! BG3 consumed so much of my time already, I had to force myself to CHILL and take a break from it.
I picked up ACNH again with the idea that if i dont time travel, I'll get bored and just turn it off in a reasonable time HAHA
Did I?
no
I could collect sticks until every tree stops dropping them--

@Stinky:
Sorry you're having to struggle with that!! I do hope the doses help you ♥
It is certainly a troublesome feeling, cause I have so many projects I want to do xD

Donator Posted 7 months ago ( 2023/10/6 12:40:14 )
@jolly: I used to be that way in animanl crossing too... but I didn't care for the switch lite so I gave it away to a friend thinking I was going to get a regular switch but that never happened. I have gamepass on xbox and I've been cloud gaming Starfield when it lets me.(My computer is new but the specs can't play starfield, and I don't have an xbox x yet, so I play the only way I can. And that is also when my son isn't home cuz he likes to hog the xbox.(He can't wait til he's 18 so he can get a job, buy his own xbox and keep it in his room, lol.)

Voltie — she/her Posted 7 months ago ( 2023/10/8 15:42:51 )

@neon:
Yesss same! Discord has really kept my social life together this year, that with twitter shenanigans
I can keep up with people easily

@Stinky:
Yeah I heard about the shortage. Its really bad, especially since you're not supposed to stop cold-turkey
I hope everyone who's prescribed and waiting is doing ok, health-wise.

But yes, you're exactly right. I always have to trick my brain in ways so I can get things done.
Sometimes its simple things like getting out of bed right away in the morning and jumping in the shower, it puts my brain in work-mode for a certain amount of time.
There's a point where the habit will break, like with anything in a two week time. If I have a consistent routine (do the same thing at the same time each day) I get really tense and muck it up before long. But I still dont want medicine, cause I always get rly bad adverse effects from any medicines Ive ever taken D:

@macsen191:
How dare he not just buy his own xbox XD /jkjk
I dont have kids, but this reminds me of when my parents would play on the game consoles (nes or ps1) when my sister and i went to bed as kids. Sometimes I would catch my mom playing and it blew my little 5 yo mind that mom likes games too (but really I just never saw it because we hogged it lmao)
I remember my sis and I would brag about how cool our parents are because they play final fantasy. meanwhile kids we brag to had no idea what that was-

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — He/They Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/10/15 01:31:05 )

Honestly, I can't imagine being able to focus on a single thing for two whole weeks. If I haven't finished a project in two hours, I'm likely to never pick it back up again. ;A; But maybe it depends on what the thing in question is? Like if it's trying to get a new habit to stick, supposedly it's normal for that to take months. Whatever it is, best advice I have is to set a timer or something to dedicate time to it every day. I find it easiest to do things when I feel like I "have to", like it's an appointment or something rather than a leisure activity.

ALWAYS PING ME

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.