Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Reaping Ritual 2022: Hide and Shriek! Hide and Shriek | Investigation 3: The Khiebus

Npc — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/13 19:00:00 )

The VPD already faced many horrors during this investigation, but none quite as powerful as their next foe... Valentina.

"Good evening, officers!" A huge grin is plastered across her face as she runs up to them, carrying a large device, "Thought you could use some help bagging this creature! I got juuuuust the thing."

JC squeezes his eyes shut, rubbing the bridge of his nose, "Valentina... The offer is appreciated, but-"

"Ohhh don't thank me yet! I haven't even explained what this marvel does! See, this here emits a blast of radiation that will-"

"Alright! Alright, stop there," Officer Milly sighs, turning to JC, "Didn't you give her a restraining order the LAST time she brought us a nuclear device?"

"Aw, come on..." Valentina shrugs innocently, "That restraining order expired ages ago. So as I was saying-"

"I know," JC cuts in quickly, "That you want to help, Valentina... But you need to understand that your inventions can be a bit.... Uh...."

"Destructive?" Milly offers, "Unstable? Disastrous? Any of those help? Let's not forget she's the reason the volunteer fire department disbanded."

"Heh... Yeah, okay, you got me there. But this time I have a real winner! I swear I can help!"

A shout catches their attention, ending the argument, "Guys! Guys the results on the bitemarks just came in! They said it looks like the victim was bitten by multiple creatures!"

"Multiple...?" JC hums, a troubled expression on his brow, "But all the witness reports only mentioned one creature..."

"Aha! I told you I could help!" Valentina puffs up her chest proudly, "Your creature is none other than The Khiebus. A two-headed creature- it has to be your perp!"

Pondering for a moment, JC nods slightly, "That's not a bad thought... How can we find it?"

Valentina gestures widely at the sky, "Famously, The Khiebus can only be found under a sky full of stars. Legend says it is a creature of knowledge, and to earn it, you must be willing to undergo a trial. If you succeed? Boom, endless wisdom," she grins widely, "Not only do you catch your suspect, but you've got a guaranteed confession. The whole package!"

Garry laughs nervously, "Cool uh... But how do we summon it?"

"Easy!" Valentina ushers everyone to stand back, before cupping her hands to her mouth, "Hey WEEBUS. I heard you think you're soo smart. Wanna bet? Huh? I challenge you to a battle of wits! Let's see who really has the best brain around here! I'll let you in on a little knowledge of my own... It's not you!"

To everyone's horror, the sky begins to darken as the moon appears to change in colour, reminiscent of a lunar eclipse. But they don't have time to ponder that long as the sudden leer of six glowing eyes pierces through them.

"A challenger of The Khiebus? Oh, how fun how fun..." It scales down the building before them, suddenly looming over Valentina, "Tell me, girl, you feel up to the challenge? Do you? You have such confidence... Would you be willing to wager your very life on it?"

"Pfft, yeah... What could go wrong? Deal!"

art by ghost

Npc — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/13 19:00:28 )

"Maybe this isn't the best idea," I began. "Remember that this beast is considered almost a Guardian to some...it doesn't seem wise to toy with." My brother, a braggart, let out a laugh.

"Just as I would suspect from someone as cowardly as you. Remember, I know more than anyone! The Khiebus creature is no match for me!" I worried for my brother's safety. Yet, I knew reasoning with him would be near impossible. The sky shifted colors as the summoning began.

"Ahh...here once more. Again, I return." The Khiebus appeared before us. It looked over my brother - his arrogance plastered over his face. "Hmm, you are quite confident in your ability to defeat me, I sense. I do, I do. But what makes you so certain you can win my trial?" My brother scoffed, placing his hand proudly over his chest.

"I know all there is to know!" The Khiebus laughed - a haunting laugh that is burned into my memory.

"We shall put that to the challenge. A wager, however! I will take something from you...should you lose. I will decide, I shall, what that is. Yes!" My brother nodded in agreement.

The trial began, and my brother effortlessly answered each question. The Khiebus seemed impressed. The two heads curled their mouths into eerie smiles.

"I have but one question left for you. Indeed, I do." It traces a large claw across his chest. "Tell me...what was my wager? Hmm? What do I win, when you lose?"

For once, my brother actually looked nervous. He hesitated for a moment, thinking. Once more, ego washed over his face, as he stuck out his chest confidently.

"My life, of course! It is the most valuable thing to me!" The Khiebus chuckled - a low, growl like chuckle.

"That is wrong," it began. It circled my brother. "So arrogant, even when it comes to this. You are! Taking your life would be a mercy by compare. So unsatisfying! Instead, my wager was the very thing that makes you...you." My brother paused, giving the beast a confused look. The Khiebus raked a claw along his head. My brothers eyes shut for a moment, then opened once more. "I will give you a gift, however," it began. "I will leave you with one thing for you to ponder. I do hope you enjoy it." The Khiebus laughed, vanishing into the night.

I rushed to my brother's side, checking him for injury. He turned to me, no longer the confident and egotistical man I knew. He seemed a shell of his former self. I laughed slightly, anxious...sad. Surely the Khiebus was lying. He did answer all its questions, after all - it was just a bluff.

"Hey...how about making me look the fool I am? That always cheers you up."

Silence.

My brother's face twisted in confusion. He simply looked at his hands. He frowned.

The horror dawned on me. It was true. The Khiebus really did take the very thing that made him..him. I feared he did not even truly know who I was - who he was. He opened his mouth to say something. I waited with bated breath. He glanced at me, with furrowed brows. The only words to ever leave his mouth again:

"Why?"

Npc — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/13 19:01:27 )
M E C H A N I C S

A deal has been made with The Khiebus - in exchange for its wisdom, Valentina must answer a series of questions. The Khiebus will provide her with three statements - two of them being factual, and one of them being false. The Khiebus wants to know if Valentina is able to see through its lies.

Help Valentina determine the correct answers to each question by providing The Khiebus with the false statement.
Ping @Valentina: with each incorrect statement in the batch.

Remember to keep all answers in a spoiler to allow other users a chance to answer the questions.
You may work together to solve the questions. Incorrect answers can also be attempted again through the duration of the activity timeframe.

ITEM UNLOCK AND STORY PROGRESSION

The Khiebus item as well as the closing story will be unlocked after:
at least 5 participants or 10 correct answers are provided
-OR-
24 hours have passed if either of the above criteria have not been met

All participants will be granted one The Khiebus.
Users will also receive 10 evidence for each correct answer. If all questions are answered correctly, a bonus of 50 evidence and an additional goodie bag will be rewarded.

Users can participate in the activity at ANY TIME during the event, even if it is not the current active thread. Users may also re-attempt any incorrect answers.

Answers must be provided by December 23rd at 11:59 Voltra Time.

Npc — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/13 19:01:55 )
T W O
    T R U T H S
      A N D
        A
          L I E

Figure out each incorrect statement in the batch.

ONE - THE MOON
          1. The moon is drifting farther from the Earth.
          2. The moon is 700 times larger than the Sun.
          3. The moon is in a synchronous rotation with the Earth.

TWO - THE STARS
          1. Stars are always seen as they were in the past - not the present.
          2. Smaller stars have a longer lifespan than larger stars.
          3. Stars are only visible at night because they are asleep during the day.

THREE - THE SUN
          1. The sun is the largest object in our solar system.
          2. The sun is just 50 years old.
          3. The atmosphere of the sun is composed of three layers.

FOUR - THE EARTH
          1. The Earth's core is filled with chocolate pudding.
          2. The Earth’s axis is at a tilt of 23.5 degrees.
          3. The Earth is the fifth largest planet in the solar system.

FIVE - THE MILKY WAY GALAXY
          1. The center of the Milky Way galaxy has a black hole.
          2. The Milky Way galaxy is made of candy, hence the name.
          3. The nearest galaxy is the Andromeda Galaxy.

SIX - ASTEROIDS
          1. The asteroid belt is a fashion term and not a place in the solar system.
          2. Asteroid impacts with the Earth are not as common today as they were in the past.
          3. Asteroids can have their own moons.

SEVEN - CONSTELLATIONS
          1.Different constellations become visible at different times of the year.
          2. Constellations follow the same path as the Sun in the sky - east to west.
          3. The Big Dipper was originally called The Giant Dunkaroo.

EIGHT - THE PLANETS
          1. The “inner” planets are rocky planets, while the “outer” planets are gas giants.
          2. Earth is the farthest planet from the Sun.
          3. Jupiter is the oldest, and largest, planet in the solar system.

NINE - BLACK HOLES
          1. Black holes don't actually exist and are just fiction.
          2. Nothing can escape a black hole - including light.
          3. The center of a black hole is known as the “singularity”

TEN - THE UNIVERSE
          1. Sound cannot travel in space because it is a vacuum.
          2. The universe is constantly expanding.
          3. The universe is 500 years old.

Current participants: 5
          Correct answers: 10

Npc — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/13 19:03:28 )

With the help of the Monster Task Force, Valentina stood proud before The Khiebus, having answered every question without fail.

The Khiebus' heads glance at each other, intrigued.

"Oh. What's this? A victory, I sense. Indeed, indeed!" It begins to circle Valentina, who tries not to show her nerves, "As promised, I will bestow my wisdom upon you. So much of it! Tell me... what is it you wish to know?"

Valentina glances back to the VPD, who give her a nod of approval. She hums, taking her time to really ponder what she should ask. Eventually, she settles.

"There was a victim that was attacked by a creature not long ago. The body has two bite wounds, and you have two heads. Was this your doing?"

To everyone's surprise and unease, The Khiebus throws its heads back in a fit of haunting laughter that echoes in the night air.

"Ahh, such petty affairs! Not I, not I. It has been a long while since I have been summoned," Valentina sighs in defeat, turning to leave before the creature's voice stops her in her tracks, "However..." She turns, seeing The Khiebus begin to vanish into the darkness, "You have indeed impressed me. You have! I shall leave you with some knowledge that may aid you along further. It will, it must!"

Meanwhile, Officer JC nudges Milly, who fumbles to begin recording what the creature says.

"A victim indeed... It is missing something. Quite valuable, it seems! Find this, and it will lead you to one you seek."

Before Valentina can even open her mouth to ask a follow up question, The Khiebus has vanished, and the moon has returned to its original colour.

There is a moment of silence, before Valentina slices through it with a shake of her head. "Well, that was pretty anti-climatic. I was hoping for something more spectacular!" She turns to the VPD with a shrug, "I'm sorry I wasn't more useful to you."

To her surprise, JC offers a soft smile. "Every piece of evidence helps. It also eliminated one more suspect. Good job, Valentina."

Valentina swells up with pride, grinning, "Seriously? Great! I guess I can be more useful to you than I thought, huh?" She picks up the device once more, slapping the metal, "Any chance you'll reconsider my offe-"

"Good night, Valentina," the VPD wave her off, already climbing back into their squad cars and driving off. Valentina shrugs, glancing down at Bernard.

"I mean, they didn't say that I couldn't use it, right?"

Donator — They/them Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/13 19:24:32 )

@Valentina: the lies i spy
          - THE MOON

TWO - THE STARS

THREE - THE SUN

FOUR - THE EARTH

SIX - ASTEROIDS

SEVEN - CONSTELLATIONS

EIGHT - THE PLANETS

NINE - BLACK HOLES

TEN - THE UNIVERSE

(Avatar Closet)

Donator — Am Potato Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/13 19:56:37 )
          @valentina:

ONE - THE MOON

TWO - THE STARS

THREE - THE SUN

FOUR - THE EARTH

SIX - ASTEROIDS

SEVEN - CONSTELLATIONS

EIGHT - THE PLANETS
          .2. Earth is the farthest planet from the Sun.

NINE - BLACK HOLES

TEN - THE UNIVERSE
          Call me Rena (Reh-nuh)! <3 married 02/02/2020
          Rena's Quest

Donator — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/13 19:58:18 )

Questing :
          Squirrel Away x2 | Untamed Outlaw | Song of Sixpence: |

...ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ @Valentina: I THINK i got them right I dunno

ONE - THE MOON

TWO - THE STARS

THREE - THE SUN

FOUR - THE EARTH

SIX - ASTEROIDS

SEVEN - CONSTELLATIONS

EIGHT - THE PLANETS

NINE - BLACK HOLES

TEN - THE UNIVERSE

<:3( )~~

Star's Memory Jar | Star's Quest |Star's Runway | Shadow Realm Market
          Pls Mention as i wander

Avi art is best gift

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/13 20:48:50 )
          @Valentina: Interesting...

Lots of questions this time!!!

[KEY: strikeout = incorrect statement]

ONE - THE MOON

TWO - THE STARS

THREE - THE SUN
          1. The sun is the largest object in our solar system
          2. The sun is just 50 years old..

FOUR - THE EARTH
          2. The Earth’s axis is at a tilt of 23.5 degrees. [note: it depends on the day?... this is within range, but it's not an absolute #]

SIX - ASTEROIDS
          2. Asteroid impacts with the Earth are not as common today as they were in the past.

SEVEN - CONSTELLATIONS

EIGHT - THE PLANETS
          1. The “inner” planets are rocky planets, while the “outer” planets are gas giants.

NINE - BLACK HOLES

TEN - THE UNIVERSE

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/13 21:24:25 )

@Valentina:

ONE - THE MOON

TWO - THE STARS

THREE - THE SUN

FOUR - THE EARTH

SIX - ASTEROIDS

SEVEN - CONSTELLATIONS

EIGHT - THE PLANETS

NINE - BLACK HOLES

TEN - THE UNIVERSE

Please ping me!

Npc — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/13 21:24:50 )
          Good work! Participation Goal Met!
          [The Khiebus item has now been added to Joyful Jamboree.
          New Story Update on post four has also been unlocked.
          Continue to join in and play, the game isn't over until the end of the event]

Npc Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/13 21:39:52 )
          Great job everyone! Your assistance in this matter is most appreciated.

You have received your rewards via inventory and trade.

Keep it up!

Reminder: This activity is available to participate in and earn rewards on until December 23rd 11:59 Voltra Time.

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/13 22:57:57 )
          Think I got this right, one of them was a bit tricky to me ^^;

@valentina:

ONE - THE MOON
          Lie 2. The moon is 700 times larger than the Sun.

TWO - THE STARS
          Lie 3. Stars are only visible at night because they are asleep during the day.

THREE - THE SUN
          Lie 2. The sun is just 50 years old.

FOUR - THE EARTH
          Lie 1. The Earth's core is filled with chocolate pudding.

Lie 2. The Milky Way galaxy is made of candy, hence the name.

SIX - ASTEROIDS
          Lie 1. The asteroid belt is a fashion term and not a place in the solar system.

SEVEN - CONSTELLATIONS
          Lie 3. The Big Dipper was originally called The Giant Dunkaroo.

EIGHT - THE PLANETS
          Lie 2. Earth is the farthest planet from the Sun.

NINE - BLACK HOLES
          Lie 1. Black holes don't actually exist and are just fiction.

TEN - THE UNIVERSE
          Lie 3. The universe is 500 years old.

Donator — Medical Biller Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/13 23:08:55 )
          Hi @Valentina: & Happy Holidays!
          My corrections/answers in the spoiler.
          ONE - THE MOON 2. The moon is 700 times larger than the Sun.
          TWO - THE STARS 3. Stars are only visible at night because they are asleep during the day.
          THREE - THE SUN 2. The sun is just 50 years old.
          FOUR - THE EARTH 1. The Earth's core is filled with chocolate pudding.
          FIVE - THE MILKY WAY GALAXY 2. The Milky Way galaxy is made of candy, hence the name.
          SIX - ASTEROIDS 1. The asteroid belt is a fashion term and not a place in the solar system.
          SEVEN - CONSTELLATIONS 2. Constellations follow the same path as the Sun in the sky - east to west.
          EIGHT - THE PLANETS 2. Earth is the farthest planet from the Sun.
          NINE - BLACK HOLES 1. Black holes don't actually exist and are just fiction.
          TEN - THE UNIVERSE 3. The universe is 500 years old.

0ne question, I am not sure about the answer.
          Ensuite, je suis le fantôme de Novembre!

Donator — they/them Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/13 23:31:53 )
          ════════════════⠀ ∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

@valentina:

ONE - THE MOON

TWO - THE STARS

THREE - THE SUN

FOUR - THE EARTH
          2. The Earth’s axis is at a tilt of 23.5 degrees.

SIX - ASTEROIDS

SEVEN - CONSTELLATIONS

EIGHT - THE PLANETS

NINE - BLACK HOLES

TEN - THE UNIVERSE

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ⠀════════════

⠀∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀art shop⠀·⠀gallery⠀·⠀closet⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀buying / questing: capricorn ⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

art by kiwi and koneko <3

Voltie — They/He Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/13 23:47:43 )

@valentina:
          ONE - THE MOON

TWO - THE STARS

THREE - THE SUN

FOUR - THE EARTH

SIX - ASTEROIDS

SEVEN - CONSTELLATIONS

EIGHT - THE PLANETS

NINE - BLACK HOLES

TEN - THE UNIVERSE

Don't know how to use/read tone tags?
          Go Here!

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/14 00:33:33 )
          ˑؘ ۪۪۫۫Formerly known as ChiffonOrange ۪۪۫۫ ؘ

@valentina:

1. THE MOON
          The moon is 700 times larger than the Sun.

2. THE STARS
          Stars are only visible at night because they are asleep during the day.

3. THE SUN
          The sun is just 50 years old.

4. THE EARTH
          The Earth's core is filled with chocolate pudding.

5. THE MILKY WAY GALAXY
          The Milky Way galaxy is made of candy, hence the name.

6. ASTEROIDS
          The asteroid belt is a fashion term and not a place in the solar system.

7. CONSTELLATIONS
          The Big Dipper was originally called The Giant Dunkaroo.

8. THE PLANETS
          Earth is the farthest planet from the Sun.

9. BLACK HOLES
          Black holes don't actually exist and are just fiction.

10. THE UNIVERSE
          The universe is 500 years old.

Voltie — HIM Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/14 00:41:02 )
          You gotta @Mention me.

@valentina:

ONE - THE MOON
          2. The moon is 700 times larger than the Sun. - False

TWO - THE STARS
          3. Stars are only visible at night because they are asleep during the day. - False

THREE - THE SUN
          2. The sun is just 50 years old.- False

FOUR - THE EARTH
          1. The Earth's core is filled with chocolate pudding.- False, but that would be sick.
          2. The Earth's axis is at a tilt of 23.5 degrees.

2. The Milky Way galaxy is made of candy, hence the name.- False, but that would also be sick.

SIX - ASTEROIDS
          1. The asteroid belt is a fashion term and not a place in the solar system.- False

SEVEN - CONSTELLATIONS
          3. The Big Dipper was originally called The Giant Dunkaroo.- False, but we should change that to it's real name

EIGHT - THE PLANETS
          1. The "inner" planets are rocky planets, while the "outer" planets are gas giants.
          2. Earth is the farthest planet from the Sun.- False

NINE - BLACK HOLES
          1. Black holes don't actually exist and are just fiction.- False, but I mean, has anyone ever seen one in person? I thought not.
          3. The center of a black hole is known as the "singularity"

TEN - THE UNIVERSE
          3. The universe is 500 years old.- False

Art by kiwi

Npc Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/14 01:02:51 )
          Good work! Looks like you really know your stuff!

You have received your rewards via inventory and trade.

Keep it up!

Reminder: This activity is available to participate in and earn rewards on until December 23rd 11:59 Voltra Time.

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/14 03:24:29 )
          @Valentina

ONE - THE MOON

TWO - THE STARS

THREE - THE SUN

FOUR - THE EARTH

SIX - ASTEROIDS

SEVEN - CONSTELLATIONS

EIGHT - THE PLANETS

NINE - BLACK HOLES

TEN - THE UNIVERSE

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
          Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
          Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.