Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat So there's a possibly major hurricane headed my way...

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/28 16:56:20 )
@Totalanimefan: Yes - that's what I'm seeing too... 155mph right now, down where Ian is coming ashore. It's barely doing anything here - a gentle rain and an occasional minor gust of wind. My overly-anxious dogs aren't even hiding!! I just went for a walk and it was actually kind of nice.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/28 19:11:44 )

@Wildfire: That's great. The storm surge of 10ft already in Ft Meyers where my fam is. I also have an Aunt in Vero (Where I stayed last week) and they have a tornado warning even though they are on the Atlantic side). It's really affecting everyone.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/28 19:27:58 )
@Totalanimefan: it's a big storm...

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/28 19:33:07 )

@Wildfire: Yes. I can't believe how far out the hurricane force and TS force winds are. It's almost the whole state minus the panhandle. And the rain, just wow. Some places are going to be flooded for days. I remember at the end of my road, it would flood and even on a TS with lots of rain it would take about 2-3 days before all the water was gone. It would be up to my hip as a high schooler.

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/28 21:18:42 )
@Totalanimefan: @Wildfire: my mother in law just sent me a picture one of her coworkers daughters friends took from her 3rd floor of the neighbor's house and the water is up to the roof in fort Meyers. Pretty intense.

I'm glad Tampa is doing okay, but I feel so worried for Fort Meyers and the surrounding coastal cities. It's so intense. It's been raining off and on here with a bit of wind. We probably won't get much until tomorrow morning

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/28 21:28:11 )
@Totalanimefan: Aren't some of the bands going up the coast to where you are??

@Alorrena: oh, ouch! I really hope that's the exception instead of the rule!!
Yes, I feel for them, but we can all help them once the storm is gone and we know what we're looking at in terms of damage.
Your weather sounds like what we've got going on here...

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/28 21:59:21 )
@Wildfire: yes, definitely. And yeah, thankfully it's not too bad yet, but I know it will get a bit worse later.

I'm still hoping that the power stays on, at least until I get my quilt done. I'm so close to being done but right now I have a LOT of pins in it and I have several more to add before I can run it through my Machine to quilt it.

Also I need to charge phone before the storm hits just in case.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/28 22:20:21 )

@Wildfire: In a few days I will get this storm in DC, but it will be a remnant storm by then. You guys still have power? Over a million household without power already.

@Alorrena: Charge that phone now lol. I saw the pic of the water up to roofs in Ft Myers. Really not good.

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/28 22:27:44 )
@Totalanimefan: lol yes ma'am! Haha

I know, it's crazy how bad it is, but also that it could be worse!
Call me Rena (Reh-nuh)! <3 married 02/02/2020
Rena's Quest

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/28 23:01:54 )

@Alorrena: Yes agreed. You are a bit safer not being near the cost. The southern west coast is really getting battered.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/29 00:07:07 )
@Totalanimefan:
@alorrena:
Yeah, Ian is really battering the Ft.Myers/Naples area, but we're ok here... still have electricity, etc. I hope it stays that way! We are getting a little more rain and a few more gusts of wind lately, but still... we've had heavier afternoon storms. The dogs don't want to go outside, but they're not hiding either...

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/29 13:13:02 )
Just updating that I'm fine and everything is actually pretty normal here (~2-3hrs north of Ian's landfall).

@alorrena: How did you fare with Ian??

@CooperationIsKey: .... and you? How was your first hurricane experience? And more importantly, are you safe??

Donator — whatever Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/29 14:30:42 )

Yes , I'm okay! Glad to see you guys posting, too!

We rode out the storm at my stepmom's place. The storm came at such an angle that we were able to sit on the screened porch and watch the weather, lol. It turns out my stepmom's place is now zone A (just barely, like maybe the last house on before Zone B) as of the last rezoning, but we kept a really close eye on what the storm was doing and were ready to grab our stuff and run for my aunt's if need be. We did lose power yesterday afternoon, but stepmom has a gas stove so we were able to cook a hot dinner (my brother cooked some killer steak and my stepmom made an amazing potato salad that I'm still kind of dreaming of, lmao). It was kind of fun in a weird way and I understand the "hurricane party" thing better now.

Also my house doesn't have a scratch, I think the worst that happened here was the trash bins blew around. Power didn't even go out here (I'm back home as of an hour or so ago) so we didn't lose food or anything (which is really good because neither of us can really afford to replace it right now).

I feel really fortunate that Tampa didn't get that direct hit, but oh my god I feel so bad for the communities south of us. :(

Please ping me!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/29 15:16:17 )
@CooperationIsKey: I'm happy to hear that you fared the storm fairly well. Our area definitely dodged a proverbial bullet with Ian and his last minute shift to the south. It's too early to tell what the reality of the damage is around Naples/Ft.Myers (& not just the sensationalized media interpretation of it), or how to best help the people there, but I'm thinking about heading down to help, if there's anything that I can do that will actually BE of help instead of just one more person being in the way of cleanup. A bit of survivor's guilt, maybe XD We'll see.

LOL - yeah, as long as you're not in immediate danger, hurricanes can be a weird sort of camping experience XD

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/29 15:28:51 )

@CooperationIsKey: I'm glad that you and your place are ok. I still haven't heard from my family in Ft Myers. I'm sure they will update me when possible. It will be days or even weeks before the power is back everywhere. Just make sure to look for the helpers and maybe be a helper in the next few weeks. There are always stories that go around of some smear campaign against humanity but often after the storm people come together to help others.

@Wildfire: Good to hear. You guys really dodged a bullet.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/29 18:32:17 )
@Totalanimefan: Yes, yes we did. It would have been absolutely disastrous had Ian come up Tampa Bay the way he was initially headed...

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/29 19:44:08 )
Just checking in that I'm doing okay. I'm so fortunate that I'm in the Jacksonville area, so we pretty much got the tropical storm level of Ian. Saw some footage of our southern neighbors and I feel for them a lot. Matthew and Irma did a number on us a few years ago, and this was our 4th time evacuating within 7 years. My workplace is in Zone A, as well as my apartment. Hoping one day when I can get a house, it won't be in an evacuation zone, because evacuation is exhausting.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/29 20:22:51 )
@Aisukohi: Glad you're ok, Aisu, & that Ian was "nice" to you! <3

I have never had to evacuate but the orders were issued for us (zone C/D) when Ian was headed up Tampa Bay. I was a bit shocked, tbh. I can't even imagine it, actually, partly because I'm sure it's absolutely nerve-wracking and exhausting!! I'm sorry you had to evacuate. Again. :( Glad you're ok. :3

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/29 21:27:22 )
@Wildfire: Thanks. <3 It's not so bad if you have a plan on where to go and how to get there, but when that gets tossed in the air, then it's nerve-wracking. My workplace has historically evacuated to a specific hotel up by the airport and they had a bus on reserve for such a purpose. However, both of those plans were shot this year, so we were scrambling to get plans in place for our residents and staff to evacuate. We are hoping to return as early as tomorrow afternoon, but might have to wait until Saturday.

I'm staying with my parents, whose county didn't get mandatory evacuation orders. Which is odd because usually when I do, they're soon to follow. And normally we evacuate to my aunt's, who lives in a non-evacuation zone, but luckily we didn't have to do that this year.
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/29 21:29:59 )

@Wildfire: Yes agreed. I guess the disaster just got moved south, but I'm glad that you are ok.
It's pretty bad in Ft Myers. Little to no cell service, no power, hard to get around, still mostly flooded, bridges gone, etc.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.