Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat So there's a possibly major hurricane headed my way...

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/2 19:17:14 )

@CooperationIsKey: it’s going to be very hard to get things including gas. I would call places ahead of time and ask what they have.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/2 21:58:15 )
@CooperationIsKey: Give it a few days - supplies are no doubt being redirected to the areas hit worst by the hurricane right now. You're not like out of options for food or anything are you, given the apparent limited supplies in the local stores??

@Totalanimefan: Ohhhh that sucks! Note to self: Do not buy new car during hurricane season XD

Hurricanes are definitely a reminder about life in general, and about specific things like how much sh*t you have (clutter), and what's really important (people), and priorities about what's important to live in this world (certain documents, perhaps)... what you have, what you lack (in terms of preparation), etc.. Everything else is just "fluff", really... It's sobering...

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/2 22:54:07 )
@Wildfire: our internet is back today thank goodness!!!!!! it's so nice to be at my computer and not be limited to offline games. i didn't realize how much i missed just having the option of talking to people and playing online games.

Donator — whatever Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/3 09:02:18 )

@Totalanimefan: Fortunately Walgreens at least shows me if stuff is in stock in the store on their site, so that's helpful. They're probably more likely to have water as well, at least marginally more likely. I'm almost out. We also have like no meats for dinners so we've gotta see what the store has in that regard. That'll be fun. Bleh.

Oh god, and we need dog food, aaa.

@Wildfire: I am almost out of water and we need meats and vegetables for dinners pretty badly. I know we're going to the bank today and likely Walmart, and I'm going to ask to stop at Walgreens for a nasal irrigation kit (this cold sucks) and maybe buy water there if they have it. It's like $4.50 a pack last I saw, which is a lot, but better than nothing.

@Alorrena: Yay for internet! :D

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/3 13:28:00 )
@Alorrena: It's amazing what a little time without electricity or internet puts in to perspective, huh? XD I'm glad you're "back".

@CooperationIsKey: I'm sure that some people in this area who bought extra water are probably returning it at this point, if they haven't donated it to Ian's wake and supply trucks are probably coming in and restocking places now. Good luck though :3

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/3 17:40:15 )

@Wildfire: Yeah really, I was like that really sucks, and it wasn't their only car that was lost. RIP RIP
But I agree about how it teaches you what's important and what is a need and what's a want. I remember after Wilma we had a lot of damage and I spent all my daylight hours working on the clean up for a whole week. We eat bread and snacks during the day and at night we would have like canned soup or beans heated up with the grill burner attachment we had haha. One thing I did always like was laying a towel out on the driveway at night and looking up at the stars. My mom only let me do it for like 15 mins cause she was worried about me, but it was super beautiful.
I heard that you lost so trees, did they damage the house, or they just fell over onto the lawn?

@Alorrena: That's awesome! It's soo nice when the internet comes back! It's like Christmas lol

@CooperationIsKey: That's good. It's nice that places have their stock levels online so you don't have to call anymore. I'm assuming you have power and running water. What about canned soups, pasta, beans and rice, or something like that? I'm not sure of your guy's dietary needs, but maybe you guys would be ok without meat this week? You could also look up meatless recipes.

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/3 19:20:48 )
@CooperationIsKey:
@Totalanimefan: it was hit or miss last night for a while, but i got a call saying the outage was officially over so it's all good now!

@wildfire: Yeah, no kidding. it's definitely something i took for granted.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/3 19:22:40 )
@Totalanimefan: yeah, post hurricane stuff is weird. As long as you're safe and have at least the bare essentials (food, water, shelter), it's almost like a strange camping trip. Almost. And there are a lot of "IFs" in that statement too.

I didn't lose any trees. The wind knocked around a couple of my hibiscus, but I didn't lose them. Oh - and an already dead tree ended up slanting downward a little more /shrug/ We had zero damage from the storm, other than to our wallets, trying to get prepared to deal with the absolute worst case scenario.

@Alorrena: that's VERY easy to do :3

Donator — whatever Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/3 19:29:51 )

@Wildfire: Walmart was out of everything but Zephyr Hills spring water, which I hate. But! Walgreens was fully stocked with their Nice brand drinking water. :D

@Totalanimefan: We're gonna have to get by without meat for a few days at least I think. Doesn't bother me but roomie is a bigtime carnivore. :P We do have power and water, yeah, and we've got some various canned stuff. I think I'm making chicken and yellow rice tonight with canned chicken.

And omg seriously, I *hate* making phone calls.

Urgh, I think my cold is trying to get into my chest now; I've just resorted to a cold medicine that has a cough suppressant in it because I'm having enough dry coughing to get on my nerves.

The medicine is a syrup (yuck) and positively heinous.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/3 20:46:30 )

@Alorrena: Nice!

@Wildfire: Yeah so many ifs and each storm is different too.
That's pretty good. I remember sometimes even the smaller storms bringing down small tress and branches. I guess you will use up the extra stuff you bought.

@CooperationIsKey: Oh that sounds really good. Too bad I'm not coming to yours for dinner tonight lol. I think I'ma make biscuits and gravy. :) (Gravy will be homemade). It's pretty cold here today since it's been raining here for days thanks to Ian. (But little wind, it's just light rain that won't let up)
I don't like making phone calls either. My husband does make me do them if one of us does have to make a call lol.
Sucks that your cold is worse. I am still taking a cough suppressant at night for my dry cough. Today was the last day of antibiotics for me. I HATE the taste of the cold meds. They suck.

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/3 21:10:06 )
@Wildfire: I realized that i'm really bad at hurricane prep. I didn't even fill my gas tank before the storm. or get feminine supplies, knowing full well i would need them. I finally found a gas station on thursday after the storm mellowed out that had gas and was able to get both needs met, thankfully, but i didn't get a full tank of gas, and struggled saturday night to find gas again. We also didn't buy any water or canned goods or anything, actually.

Donator — Medical Biller Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/3 23:12:41 )
you all are doing okish.
@CooperationIsKey: That's good that Tampa barely was touch by the storm. I know watching the news they did originally predict it was suppose to hit there. Either way some parts of the State is dealing with the aftermath. Stay safe.

@Wildfire: Thank you for the verification. It seems like the insurance companies are always trying to find ways to not payout during disasters time. However, it is strange that the article did add about insurances while Floridians are suffering now.
You guys get too much rain and where I live we need the rain since we are starting to run out of water again. Be safe.

@Totalanimefan: Thank you for clarifying. It seems like the insurance companies are always trying to find ways to not payout during disasters time. It also seems to me that these Hurricanes get more and more monsterous.

Donator — whatever Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/4 05:58:39 )

@Totalanimefan: I ended up not making dinner because a friend of my roommate's brought us gyros earlier in the day and that was enough for us lol. So probably tomorrow. She keeps trying to convince me the chicken & ramen she accidentally left out the other night (until I found it at 3am) is still safe to eat, but I'm not touching that shit. Biscuits and gravy sounds glorious, omg that seriously sounds so freaking good. I haven't had biscuits and gravy in... years?

And oh god I finally broke down and started the cold syrup today because of the (mostly) dry cough I've been dealing with. It's heinous, good god.

Please ping me!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/4 13:09:50 )
@CooperationIsKey: Well, at least you found water - and a brand that you prefer too! Congrats :3

@Totalanimefan: Yes, we'll use the extra stuff that we bought, and yeah - only the already dead stuff that really, if FL had any type of regular wind outside of hurricanes, would have fallen from the trees already. There was one tree in the neighborhood that went down, but it was sitting in a swamp and probably going to go down soon regardless.

@Alorrena: uhhh, ouch. You might want to revisit your hurricane preparations for the future XD I'm glad you found what you needed though :3 Just as a general rule, I try to keep some canned goods around the house because you just never know when you're going to need them around here but in case of a storm or prolonged loss of electricity, they're really important to have (as I'm sure you know) :3

@Qiqi Agatha: Yeah, insurance companies are something else, aren't they? :/
We are going in to the dry season with little rain to be expected now. Over the summer though, we have a tropical weather pattern that includes a fair amount of rain and humidity. I'm sorry to hear that your area is starting to run low on water again though :(

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/4 16:34:46 )

@Qiqi Agatha: Yeah I agree with you 100% and honestly its just awful that they do that. These people already lost their house or their cars or just everything and then the insurance tries to say you didn't document correctly or you didn't do it in a certain way.

@CooperationIsKey: Oh those are so good. I could go for that.
I also wouldn't be touching that left out food. Not worth the risk imo. I haven't had it in so long either. With the cold weather I was like, I could go for that. I'm still using small amounts of cough meds right now. I'm even dealing with a dry cough as a type this lol. I want it to go away. But the taste, OMG I hate.

@Wildfire: That's true, the winds weren't that bad in your area.

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/5 08:20:21 )
@Wildfire: Yeah, usually we prepare a bit better, but honestly i just didn't really think about it until after it started getting windy here. And by then there was no gas or water, and i just didn't really think much of it. Normally we have some canned veggies on hand too anyways, just cause it makes dinners easier.

We've been struggling with the internet the last few days since we're technically still in an outage, but apparently the internet access keeps getting paused and we keep having to call in to unpause our devices (mostly his pc, but just now, mine). It's quite annoying, really.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/5 13:15:11 )
@Totalanimefan: Nothing was terribly bad in my area with this storm. I'm incredibly thankful for that.

@Alorrena: the unreliability of devices you've grown to depend on can be maddeningly disturbing, can't it? Hopefully it won't be much longer before some of those issues are ironed out for you.

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/5 15:39:56 )

The power is still out for my cousins houses and my aunt and uncle. One of them was able to use FB cause she is currently living in a hotel in Miami with her kids. She told us the others were ok (as I've said before) but still nothing directly from my other family members. I knew that power would be out for a while, I've gone a week without it before, but I just wish they could go somewhere with service and power and stay somewhere nice for a few days.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Medical Biller Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/6 04:24:24 )

@Totalanimefan: Yes, I hope they are able to get what belongs to them

@Wildfire: I am too. It doesn't make any sense
Ensuite, je suis le fantôme de Novembre!

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/6 08:07:56 )
@Wildfire: today we had no issues!!! Hopefully it lasts through tomorrow and i can go back to work.
Call me Rena (Reh-nuh)! <3 married 02/02/2020
Rena's Quest

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.