Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat So there's a possibly major hurricane headed my way...

Donator — whatever Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/30 01:34:20 )

Yeah I heard the bridge into Sanibel Island is just gone, and some others too. I hope anyone who rode it out on the islands will be okay for a while because I don't think help is going to be coming for a while.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/30 11:57:54 )
@Aisukohi: I'm happy you had a place to go where evacuation wasn't needed. Did you make it through the storm ok? - it looks about to make 2nd landfall in SC now, so the worst of it, for you, should be over with.

@Totalanimefan: Yeah, cell phones are wrecked down there right now - even if people managed to hold on to theirs during the chaos, do they still have a charge? Are there any towers still up to make calls out? I'm sure that the emergency and infrastructure people will make some decent progress today in the beginnings of a rebuild. *crosses fingers*

@CooperationIsKey: Yeah, it looks like the bridge is down - a section looks to have fallen during the storm. Emergency crews will set up ferries or put up a temporary bridge... anything they can do in order to get the people the help they need :3

@Kory: Key and I and Aisu are safe now - the storm has bypassed us. Thanks for thinking of FL

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/30 20:05:00 )

@Wildfire: I finally heard from family. Only the one that works at the hospital has service, but he said they were ok and that they stayed. (Which I think they are kinda crazy for doing lol)

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/30 20:47:24 )
@Totalanimefan: I'm glad you heard from your family and that they are safe.

Donator — whatever Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/1 09:02:30 )

@Totalanimefan: Oh I'm glad you heard from your family! I heard from mine in Orlando, via my mom, this morning, and they're okay too. So afaik my family got out okay.

What a week.

Oh so my brother and his girlfriend, who were with us at stepmom's house during the hurricane, had a cold. And guess who has it now? Yaaaay. :(

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/1 12:10:18 )
@CooperationIsKey: I'm happy to hear that your family is safe.
A cold sucks, but it's better than some of the other likely options to occur over the last couple of days. Feel better soon, k??

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/1 15:24:40 )
@Wildfire: Yep, we made it out of the storm great. Lots of debris around, but that's cool. No damage to speak of for us.

How about you?

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/1 16:41:36 )
@Aisukohi: We had very little rain (~6") and the wind blew a couple of my hibiscus plants over (one went one way, the other went the other way, although they were right next to each other - lol) and just the random already dead twigs dropping from the trees. That's it.

I'm glad the effects of this storm weren't anythign more than that for either of us :3

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/1 16:44:56 )
@Wildfire: lol that sounds pretty funny about your hibiscus plants. I had no idea they could get so big if left unattended. The ones we have at work easily reach the second story in height.

Yeah, mostly dead palm fronds and parts, plus the usual leaves, twigs, and such from other trees.
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/1 19:19:34 )

@CooperationIsKey: I got a cold or maybe something worse well I was down in FL two weeks ago. Almost done with the antibiotics.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/1 19:21:14 )

As for the update from my family in Ft Myers. I haven’t heard much but that it seems everyone is alive and that it wrecked my aunt and uncles cars and their house started flooding. So idk what they are gonna do about the house. Still no direct contact from them. Heard it from my cousin (their son) who I think was only able to contact me cause he works at the hospital.

Edit: I also saw pictures of Orlando near UCF. Everything was washed out. There are pretty much no working cars left cause they all got flooded. Lots of people had to be rescued if they lived in a first floor apartment.

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/1 21:43:36 )
@Totalanimefan:
@Aisukohi:
@Wildfire:
@CooperationIsKey:

I am okay, our power flickered a couple times, but it was fine. However (and the reason I haven't posted) on Thursday around noon(right before I was supposed to go to work) the internet went down. The outage might last through the weekend. Which sucks because its so incredibly boring without internet, but it's nice cause no work and I believe I'm getting paid for the time gone. Also spectrum should be giving us a big credit for it being out for so long. So that's nice. My phone has shoddy signal at the house so I'm actually at Walmart sitting in my car right now as I write this out. We might be going to our friends apartment tonight though since they have internet.

Donator — Medical Biller Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/1 22:41:33 )
on the Floridian Voltries, from the West Coast. Are you guys ok and how much damages does Florida have from Hurricane Ian? Also, how much of this article is accurate? You guys stay safe and I'll be back on Monday.
Ensuite, je suis le fantôme de Novembre!

Donator — whatever Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/1 23:15:42 )

@Wildfire: Oh absolutely, I'd much rather have a head cold than what they're dealing with south of us. :(

@Totalanimefan: Ah yeah, I remember you posting about being sick. Hope you're feeling better! Also glad you heard from your family.

@Alorrena: I can't stand not having internet, I totally get it. Even during the hurricane, with no power, I was using the internet on my phone (Verizon was kind enough to give everyone unlimited talk/text/data until like the 4th, otherwise I would have surely run out quickly). Everything is tied to the internet these days, it seems! Hope yours is back up sooner rather than later!

@Qiqi Agatha: Definitely depends on where you are in Florida, tbh. Tampa Bay, which was initially predicted to get catastrophic flooding, came out almost unscathed (a few downed trees/signs/powerlines mostly). South of us in the Fort Myers area, though, was hit disastrously. I think I heard it was like at over a six-foot storm surge, which did massive damage via flooding, not to mention being hit by essentially Category 5 storm winds, and it was moving slowly so it just kept churning there. It's going to take months and honestly years for them to recover. There was also a lot of river flooding further north-east in the state, with the Orlando area getting apparently unprecedented rainfall in such a short time as to flood pretty badly there.

I guess the article is mostly right but the Tampa Bay area didn't really see that much damage, like I said; mostly wind damage, that's already mostly cleaned up. I don't think there was much flooding here except maybe really low-lying areas next to rivers maybe. Also the storm may have actually been a cat 5 when it made landfall as some were recording cat 5 windspeeds, but I have no idea if they'll retroactively declare it one or not.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/2 06:07:58 )

@Alorrena: not surprised. I feel like half the state doesn’t have internet atm. Glad you are ok.

@Qiqi Agatha: it’s not that well written. For example Charley was an 2004 hurricane that hit the area as a Cat 4 too. But not everyone has flood insurance but FEMA will also bail some out but also insurance companies love to try and not pay up so I’m sure some people won’t get their money because “things weren’t documented correctly” happens a lot after hurricanes. It will also take some people and cities years to rebuild.
The pics are real. There are lots of places that used to have homes and now they are nothing.

@CooperationIsKey: yeah still sick but mostly better.
Technically I just heard it through my dad who heard it through my cousin (who does live in Ft Myers). It would be nice to hear from them directly but I also know there is no way for them to contact me atm you know?
How are you doing?

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/2 06:20:00 )
@CooperationIsKey: i hope it's up soon too. my husband and i have been bred out of our minds this weekend without internet. we've been sleeping a lot to pass the time. We just got to our old roommates' apartment and are leeching the wifi for a bit to download a few episodes of things for tomorrow. I'm hoping it will be back tomorrow, but chances are slim, i think.
Call me Rena (Reh-nuh)! <3 married 02/02/2020
Rena's Quest

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/2 13:42:25 )
@Aisukohi: LOL, yeah, hibisicus can get pretty big around here. Mine were only ~2' tall and maybe 4' across. They've since been trimmed.

@Totalanimefan: I'm glad everyone is ok. It sucks about the car(s) being lost and having to deal with flooding in the house, but it could have been SO much worse for them :3

@Alorrena: It's good to hear from you & I'm glad you're safe, if a bit bored without internet. My phone (all our phones!) get shoddy signal at the house too, so I feel ya on that count. It's annoying

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/2 13:59:16 )
@Qiqi Agatha: Thanks for checking in with us. I'm not sure, off the top of my head, if Ian was the first cat4 hurricane to hit the FL coast (I tend to doubt it), nor am I sure about those statistics about flood insurance (which seems kind of an odd thing to put in such a short article about a hurricane, tbh). In terms of actual damage done to that area (& not just sensationalized media), it looks pretty bad. Without taking the drive down there myself & not having talked with anyone directly who has been there, it's hard to tell exactly how bad the reality is, but yes, there was some very high and volatile storm surge, lots of flooding, high winds, etc.. the storm basically sucked all the water out of this area (Tampa Bay; just north of where Ian hit) and dropped it there, in addition to bringing his own water and sitting there for hours upon hours (a bad thing even for lesser storms because it means a LOT of water). Right now, I'm just trying to stay out of the way of emergency personnel and workers and will help/am helping if I can. The photos of the area seem to be legit. They honestly remind me of Katrina/MS from several years ago. :(

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — whatever Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/2 14:09:29 )

Urgh, trying to make a Walmart order but there's no water, no bread, no frozen items of any kind. Gonna try to get roomie to go to Walgreens and maybe the local grocery store today. We need to anyway.

Please ping me!

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/10/2 19:15:48 )

@Wildfire: yes I agree. It seems that everyone has their lives. Although one of the cars was brand new and never driven yet (except to drive it home). I also saw pics of the garage flooding. It is-was disgusting. And all the work it’s going to take to clean and throw out. I don’t miss that shit

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.