Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I don't understand my mom's hatered for dishwashers

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/26 22:32:53 )
She's always hated them. She doesn't see the purpose of using gallons of water to wash dishes. And I get how it takes slightly longer to get the dishes clean. But during that time it frees up your hands so you can get more than one task done. She doesn't see it that way though. She sees them as wasteful devices for the lazy good-for-nothings.

I've never had a dishwasher until moving to my new house. I used to have one growing up for a short time. My mom ran it twice a year without dishes. Eventually she had it removed because she was embarrassed to have it in the kitchen where people would see. She insisted that people would judge her for it and say she was lazy. Literally no one judges people for having dishwashers other than her.

First thing she does when she sees my new house? Tell me I need to have the dishwasher removed asap before anyone else sees.

Also she's fine with laundry washers and dryers. I don't get her deal with it.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/27 00:27:34 )

I don't understand her deal either, but it's all in her head, and you need to live your life the way that most people do.

Also washing dishes by hand uses way more water. The dishwasher uses the same water over and over to get the dishes clean.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — He/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/27 02:13:04 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

My granpa used to be like that too! But eventually my grandparents got to an age where it was hard to stand in one place for longer thena few minuts (they are both disabled now)
So i got them a dishwasher, my gran felt so bad that she told me shes gonna pay it back... and for a year now shes been paying me around 10$ a month for it lol
I mean im also happy its here since i live with them, i dont get yelled at anymore if theres acidently a single glass sitting out in the open

However whenever i tell ppl we dont have a dishwasher for that long they always act so suprised. And before we had one everybody always told me the pros and why we should get one lol.
So here its kinda the norm to have a dishwasher

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

♦ Gob | 23 | Taurus | Belgium ♦
Insta | Toyhouse | Gallery | Carrd

♦ My Art Shop ♦

Artist Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/27 05:03:37 )
Totally understandable if someone doesn’t like or doesn’t want to use a dishwasher, but to judge people that do? Idk what’s up with that

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/27 22:50:03 )
@Ruby:
I know, rather hypocritical. She also harshly judges you if your toilet plunger is visible in your bathroom or if you have a window air-conditioning unit. It's all unsightly and undignified.

Voltie — They/He Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/28 00:40:47 )

We have one but it isn't functional. The pipes it is hooked up to are broken beyond reasonable repair and replacing them is just not in the budget. Wish we had one tho, washing them by hand makes me anxious.

Don't know how to use/read tone tags?
Go Here!

Artist Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/28 04:21:34 )
@Vampiretaco: where is one supposed to keep the plunger then? They don’t fit in a cabinet and if you keep them somewhere else its not easily usable?
And some people can only afford a window unit or their place was built before central AC.

Its sad that she feels the need to carry all that around in her head. It is not the norm.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/28 14:48:12 )
I’ve never heard those takes before lol. Like the person before me said, where else would you put your plunger if not next to the toilet?
I don’t have a dishwasher and didn’t at my old house either, but almost everyone else I know has one.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/31 02:17:44 )
@Starry:
@Ruby:
We always kept the plunger in the garage.

Artist Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/31 09:53:38 )
@Vampiretaco: so you have to run to the garage with a toilet overflowing?

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/09/8 21:06:45 )
@Ruby:
We've never had the toilet overflow actually. But I was always told to turn the shut off valve behind the toilet if that happened then get the plunger.

Voltie — Damned Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/5 06:35:46 )

It's somewhat fair to argue that a dishwasher is a shortcut but not entirely lazy.
As a teenager I lived in an apartment with a dishwasher, and it was my job to put the dishes in, which depending on the amount could be difficult to accomplish while ensuring it was able to close properly then remove them and put them away.

Since moving into our current residence, we no longer have one. This is my grandparents house and it's older than I am. My mom grew up in this house.
My parents have talked about getting a dishwasher a couple of times and I believe we do have one out on the back patio, but my stepfather needs to create the space in the kitchen for it and never gets around to it, it seems to be forgotten now.

Just as well I suppose. My chore is now to wash the dishes by hand, and they've already eliminated my vacuuming job by getting a Roomba.

No offense to your mom but to fear judgement for a dishwasher in an era where I am sure at least half the human population has them sounds like some severe paranoia that requires professional help.

Just because you don't see me doesn't mean I'm not here. I'm a lurker.

Deals With the Devil

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/5 19:09:26 )
I go on vacation in the summer with extended family (everyone staying in one rented house near the beach, keeps it more affordable for everyone), and there's one woman who will just stand there and do all the dishes for every meal because she will pull everyone's dishes out of the dishwasher and wash them by hand. We've learned that we can't win with her, so we just let her do it, but then she always complains that we "make" her do all the dishes. It's an unusual quirk, so I can relate to you!

Donator — Am Potato Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/6 03:09:51 )
Personally i think washing dishes by hands is disgusting, especially if you use a sponge to clean them. Dishes in a dishwasher come out with less bacteria on them even if they don't come out completely clean! Also washing by hand will also waste water! You use up to 27 gallons of water per load by hand versus as little as 3 gallons with an energy star-rated dishwasher.
Call me Rena (Reh-nuh)! <3 married 02/02/2020
Rena's Quest

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/6 15:11:19 )
The sponge thing really speaks to me. When I wash things by hand (like things that aren't dishwasher safe), I always use a clean dish towel, and then put it in the laundry after. I never feel like my dishes are clean if I use something that hangs out damp next to the sink 24/7.
It's just your friendly apple maiden!

Donator — Medical Biller Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/7 19:01:31 )
@Vampiretaco: 0mg, do we have the same mother... My mom hates the dish washer as well. Just very strange.
Ensuite, je suis le fantôme de Novembre!

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/8 04:56:44 )

Your mom would have had a meltdown seeing my old apartment--because of my landlord being stupid, I actually had two window-unit A/Cs in one bedroom. (one didn't work afaik) Which sucked because I couldn't open a window on nice days. But it was a really old building so there was no option for 'classy' internal air, and it was Los Angeles so no a/c at all simply wasn't an option for me.

I've never really had a dishwasher; I've lived with people who had them a couple times but they weren't generally people who used them much, mostly did the dishes by hand anyway.

Also our plunger lives next to/behind the toilet because honestly where the hell else is it gonna go? On top of the toilet paper under the sink??

Edit: Oh and regarding sponges, I make a point of setting our sponge on it's edge on the sink so it dries out completely between uses, which helps cut down on bacteria. My roommate has always used a dish cloth, and that's fine, but she's REALLY bad about cooking on/burning food when she cooks, and I was having mini meltdowns trying to do the dishes after she cooked because a dish cloth did NOT get crap off the dishes. So I took to buying my own sponges, which I swap out for new ones when they start to get funky. 🤷‍♂

Please ping me!

Donator — she/they/him Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/12 04:27:11 )

I've always dreamed of having a dishwasher
it gets things a lot cleaner than hand washing
in my experience and can use really hot water

☥ "Think of me when you look at the night sky" ☥

leave me msgs here

The Crooked Dog Inn

plz ping me!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.