Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Voltie — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/17 02:18:39 )
-+-[🖤
🖤]-+-

@Totalanimefan: Oh that is exciting! I'm really happy for you, and 5 minutes ain't bad at all lol. Moving can be really stressful but it seems like you have all your ducks in a row, and what a nice relaxed time frame you have to sell your current house. I'm gonna be facing a time crunch soon with moving and it's really scary and stressful.

-+-[🖤
🖤]-+-

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/17 02:40:24 )

@CyclonicMicroburst: I think it's a little longer than 5 mins, but it is only 5 miles away. Not far at all.
Moving is stressful. I have done it so much times in my life, some long distance and other local but it's always a lot of work and it takes days to pack and unpack things even if it's only a 1 bedroom apartment. I don't even have that much stuff! (My husband likes his toys though lol).
It is more relaxed which I like because we own this house still, so I don't have to try and do an overlap like when it's an apartment to apartment move. Those are stressful. Or cross country moves were everything has to be done and boxed for the movers that day. (That's the worst)

You are moving soon? Moving out? Buying a place? Renting an apartment? Local or distance? If it's your first time, decide way ahead of packing what you want to keep and what you want to get rid of. I like the Marie Kondo method of only keeping what sparks joy and starting with clothes and ending with sentimental items (if you have any). Then you are only moving what you really want to keep. But don't try to do it when packing. It's just too much.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/17 02:55:52 )
-+-[🖤
🖤]-+-

@Totalanimefan: Oops, I misread miles for minutes, but still not bad!

This is not my first move, but actually my second cross country move next year. I flew my longtime friend out to California 2+ years ago, we packed up my car, and we hit the road. We arrived in Florida 5 days later and I've been living with him ever since. He, my partner, and I are all moving to Oregon and there's a lot of planning that we've done. Most planning can't be done quite yet because of how far out it is. My friend owns the house we're currently all living in, and we're going to have to look to buy over there purely because we have 7 cats, so renting is out of the equation.

I've been kinda documenting stuff about myself in my undercurrent here on the first page and I talk about it if you want some more details ^^

I have not heard of the Marie Kondo method, but it makes the most sense. I had the luxury of leaving a bunch of stuff at my moms house when I initially moved, and I don't have much stuff now. I surprisingly didn't accumulate that much stuff since I've been here, haha.

-+-[🖤
🖤]-+-

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/17 13:41:49 )

@CyclonicMicroburst: we are actually really similar. I come from a small seaside town in Florida. (Actually moved to England first) and I moved to CA for work. I’m guessing we lived in the same place. Silicon Valley? Lived there from 2015 to 2020 then I moved to DC and that’s where I am now.
I saw that you were thinking about another coastal place to live. What about a city on the east coast? They tend to be progressive as well. Don’t change your plans for someone on the internet but maybe research were else would be good. :)

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/17 13:42:47 )

Oh and about the method, she has a Netflix series now but originally she wrote a book about 10 years ago. It’s a good one. It’s probably just faster to google the key points online. ^^

Voltie — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/17 17:38:58 )
-+-[🖤
🖤]-+-

@Totalanimefan: That's so funny that we flopped around the same states. I'm from Northern California, Mendocino county, but I know where Silicon Valley is. I was there until I was 25 then I hopped ship and drove all the way here. I miss the blue states so much, and the greenery there. The coastal forests are beautiful as I'm sure you're aware.

I appreciate the suggestions. West coast is definitely where all three of us want to be. We were looking at probably Portland, that way there's plenty of work opportunity for everyone, especially the other member's on my partner's family who are coming with us. They have two little girls together.

I'll have to check out her Netflix show and peruse Google about it, thanks!

-+-[🖤
🖤]-+-
🖤 she/her | blissfully taken | ping me for I am a forgetful creature 🖤

Donator — they/them Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/18 12:41:46 )
@CyclonicMicroburst:
No problem at all! Apologies that it took so long to respond.
I hope you have a beautiful day ahead.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/18 15:08:35 )

@CyclonicMicroburst: Yeah. CA is pretty for sure. And I miss the food there too, but wildfire season is/was horrible and the cost of living in the Bay Area is also awful. And both of those things are getting worse. I think that Portland is a cool place to live if you don't mind the weather.
Marie Kondo method is the only one I've been using for years, since the book first came out in English.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.