Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat What do you ACTUALLY call them?

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/4 17:27:43 )

It occurred to me that I rarely call anyone, especially my pets, by their name.

For talking to people, I usually just say what I need to say, unless I'm trying to get their attention from across the room or we're in a group or something. In that case, I usually just use their name... but not for the person I live with, who's been my best friend for many years. We call each other the same nickname, or variations of it (at this point it could be anything that starts with the same letter, but usually the same few), and have been doing so since high school. At this point, it feels more natural than using actual names.

Then there are the pets. We have two cats, Goblin and Gremlin. They rarely get called that. I feel like I could fill a book with the nicknames they get called. Some are shared nicknames that get used for both, others are unique to each cat. The most frequently used nicknames are at least related to their actual names, but many aren't. I am tempted to make a chart of all these names...

do you normally call your friends and/or pets by their given names? I apparently do not.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/4 17:54:37 )
I call most of my friends by their names. :> Unless they have a preferred nickname.
I call my 3 huskies whatever name I need to call them because they are huskies. -3- I feel bad for my neighbors because I got momma doggo Fae, who is "Fatty!" "DerpDerp" or "White B-" She never wants to come inside unless she thinks I have food. So I sit outside hollering for a few minutes a day trying to get her attention.

Voltie — Caffeine Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/4 18:39:28 )
I'm the same. It often feels weird, perhaps too formal or personal, to call people their names; especially if I don't know them well. So I typically open conversations just by talking, or with physical cues, and refer to people by nicknames.

It works pretty well tbh since my coworkers know I mean business if I call them by their real name as opposed to a nickname. xD Kind of like when a parent uses your full name.
There is protection from near everything, from fire and damages from storm and frost;
oh, add whichever blows may come to mind, but there is no protection from mankind.

Donator — PomePome Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/4 22:03:06 )
@Count Trashula: well the real name of my cat is lilly but i always Call her lisbeth its like a reverse Nickname

Donator — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/5 02:43:23 )

@Count Trashula: honestly i usually use nicknames for, like, everything

i call my brother bro, dude, etc, or just shorten his name, and i do the same with my sister, but her name is already short so i can't really shorten it ashjd
for my cats (rip) their names were tiger, fluffy, and megan, and i would call them variations of those names
tiggy, tiges, floof, fluffers, meggy, megs, that sort of thing
sometimes i'd say their actual names but it was usually a nickname (especially for fluffy because floof made us laugh for some reason askjhdjn)

bonus: i call tongs 'grabby things' because one time i forgot what it was called and for some reason it stuck

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/5 03:02:23 )
For people, it depends on how comfortable I feel with them to use their names vs. nicknames.

For pets, 90% of the time I use nicknames, which are usually plays off of their actual names, but sometimes unrelated ones too. They have first names and last names, but I never thought to give them middle names for some reason. I should, that way I can use their full names when I mean business instead of just their first name. xD I mean I use my human son's full name when I mean business (not that he cares since he's a toddler) but should be consistent with my fur babies too. :P
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/5 03:35:09 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

Well obvously i dont call my mom and grandparents by their real names lol but i know thats not what this is ab.
Bv i tell ab i do have to say, i have a half brother who is now 15. Before i came out he called me "zus" (sis in dutch) and after i came out he started calling me broer (brother). And to this day i find it crazy lol, its like the stereotypical thing in movies. But at this point its just wierd when he calls me anything then brother. Meanwhile i just call him by his name.

Now my friends, since the first day ive met my best friend 6 years ago, weve had nicknames for eachother. Theyve changed alot over the years and i bet they still will in the coming years. One i used alooot on her was "Lau" It was just her name shortend and she would call me Jo.
But then one day she did something stupid, back then we werent at that base of casually calling eachother stupid and i din wanna offend her... so i called her an egg.... And now shes just been Egg for years.
For awhile she called me potato but just last year it changed to Gob wich is short for Goblin. And now everybody that knows me online (my dnd group and awhile discord server) calls me Gob lol.

Then i have another friend that i used to call Jon, their name isnt Jon. It was just that my friend egg and i had nicknames so we wanted to include that friend... so Jon happend. They also are... very special and its quite fun to say "No jon, you cannot eat candles".
But a few months it changed into sausage. They where basicly dubbed "the horney one" and we thaught sausage was a fitting nickname lol.

And then somebody in my dnd group is nicknamed flammy bc he loves flamingos...

Now my dog.... My dogs called Izzy so unless she isnt listening ill call her anything that rhymes with it. But i mostly call her bebe.

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

♦ Gob | 23 | Taurus | Belgium ♦
Insta | Toyhouse | Gallery | Carrd

♦ My Art Shop ♦

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/5 19:23:32 )

@Miss Sandman: We do that, too.. sometimes we call Goblin "Robert" as if that's his full name lol

@squishy sloth: I can never remember the names of things off the top of my head. Yesterday the cutting board was the cutty choppy plastic flat thing...

It occurred to me I do this when watching movies/shows, too. I give most of the characters nicknames and if the person I'm watching with mentions them by their real name, I'm like "Who??" I guess I'm just bad with names.

Donator — PomePome Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/5 20:51:45 )
@Count Trashula: Yeah pets just age this way so we need to name them diffrent though xD
~Pls Ping me~
Nothing fancy to see here!!!

Donator — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/6 02:15:28 )

@Count Trashula: chopping boards will now forever be the cutty choppy thing i love it aksjhd

also same i'm terrible with names, i could be super into a movie, love it, and i'd STILL forget the characters names and people think i wasn't paying attention ):
like no becky we were watching we just can't remember names smh

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/6 07:57:01 )

@GoblinsAndTea: egg, sausage... sounds like breakfast :U also +1 gob, except mine is a cat.

@squishy sloth: it's not our fault people's names are so unmemorable!

@koneko: well, you know what you gotta do. cats need nicknames, it's the law.

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/6 08:38:13 )

Donator — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/7 02:46:24 )

@Count Trashula: who needs names when you call things 'grabby thing' or 'choppy thing'!!

also i love how you just call them 'cat' because i used to do the same with ours LKSJKJDH

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/7 03:01:49 )

@squishy sloth: lol, all the names in the world but sometimes what you really need is just "cat".

Donator — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/7 03:31:01 )

@Count Trashula: honestly, sometimes the word 'cat' just does the job perfectly~

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/7 03:43:19 )

@squishy sloth: alternatively, sometimes Gobby is "weasel" instead of "cat", since he's kind of long. He looks less like a weasel now that he's put on some weight and grownup fluff, but he's still wiley and annoying as ever. :^P

Donator — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/7 03:47:38 )

@Count Trashula: akjshdj cats are always annoying but cute as hell and that's why they're so lovable >w<
i have never seen gobby but i love him because cat :3

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/7 03:56:36 )

@squishy sloth: We tell them basically that every day lol. They're lucky they're cute; imagine a human screaming "WHERE'S MY DINNER" 2 hours before dinner time or trying to pierce your nose with their teeth.. sheesh. They're really sweet when they're not being little buttholes, though.

and if you haven't seen Gobby, you should.

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/7 03:58:19 )

i need to take a fresh pic of them, something seasonally appropriate if I can manage it.

ALWAYS PING ME

Donator — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/7 04:32:23 )

@Count Trashula: ajshghdg they can only get away with it because they're cute and they know it
also I LOVE THEMMMM they're so pretty omg

Shop | Art Thread | used to be cowboy belphie, buggaboy, kairosama | forum bunny by kouenli

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.