Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Anyone have cool hobbies or side hustles?

Voltie — she Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/21 19:43:36 )
I'm still trying to figure out what i wanna do and if it will involve my drawing. I'm still trying to get used to Krita on a tablet and im considering switching to a different software
buuuuuut watching tiktoks are making me wanting to do something with my life lolol.
Working with resin looks pretty cool, so does glass paintings (the anime ones) but so does getting a cricut and making things

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/21 19:48:45 )

I'd love to get into resin too but its very expensive! And tricky to work with from what I've been told.
The materials are toxic so be sure to get a respirator mask so you dont breathe it while you work, and be near an open window or outside for proper ventilation :D

I also like to consider what sort of side hobbies I can do. I draw of course, but sometimes its nice to do something more traditional. I have some miniature crafts like a mini wooden ramen stand to build, but I need to find a way to keep them without my kitten breaking them so they;re in a box unfinished right now. Still training her to keep off my book shelves XD

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/21 19:57:31 )
    I’m writing a novel. Well, I’ve written it, now I’m in the editing stages. It’s not very good just yet, but that’s the joy of editing.

Voltie — she Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/21 20:04:49 )
@Jolly: I used to work in the paint booth (for cars) at my old job so i kept my mask which would be perfect! Resin is just so cool and there are so many possibilities. I especially love those who take items from their deceased pets (like a toy and their collar) and but them in a pretty resin wonderland
What's the wooden ramen stand?? And do you mind sharing your drawings? I'd love to see them!

Voltie — she Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/21 20:05:34 )
@sunny: Woooaaw that's so cool! I miss writing, i used to write short stories with my OCs (NERD) but i've shifted my energy to other things

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/21 20:18:04 )

@ryume:
Thats a very sweet idea, the pet thing! O:
Thankfully my child is still very much alive *waves hand covered in cat scratches*
But that would be something I'd love to do in the distant future.

This is what the ramen shop will look like when I finish!

It came missing pieces for the bench, sand and bushes. But I have ideas to get creative with it >:D

And sure! I post my stuff on twitter mainly (@ ninabeandraws) this one's a recent one ive been happy with

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/21 20:24:50 )
    @Ryume: writing for me is a hobby. I don’t expect to ever earn any money from it, I’m just happy to enjoy the experience.

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Voltie — she Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/21 21:11:16 )
@Jolly: Yes the pet thing is super cute! I want to do it for my past doggo but i have also since rescued another and he is my angel
THAT RAMEN SHOP IS SO CUTE WHAT THE HEEEECCKKKKKK
AND YOUR ART <3 <3 <3 Its uh-mazing!!!!!!

Voltie — she Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/21 21:11:59 )
@sunny: that's great though! It can be used as a nice outlet or like a time to "meditate"

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/21 21:23:40 )

@ryume:
ISN'T IT? My mother got me the kit for christmas, as well as two other (larger) miniature structures. Asian-style houses and whatnot. They're so friggin pretty but so expensive! I might need to make a clear case for them to keep them nice when I finish building ;v;

Having a cat makes me feel like I need to put everything breakable into a bubble..

And thank you!! I was trying to practice magic effects so it hurt my brain lmao

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/21 22:34:16 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

Ive got several hobbies! The uh "biggest" ones are: worldbuilding/character creation, from there on it splitts into difrent things bc of that i started to draw and i play dnd and i collect bjds (and before the lockdowns i went to cons cosplaying my characters).

Ive always liked doing creative stuff and have been fortunate enough to have been suported from both family and school so ive done quite some difrent things.

By tablet do you mean like a wacom intuos or one of them fancy apple things?
If the first then i can recomend firealpaca, its compleatly free!

Resin is cool but take this from somebody who cellcts dolls made out of them, ITS SO EXPENSIVE D^':
I wanted to make eyes for my dolls and that requires resin, i already have white resin (for other stuff) and needed the transparent stuff but oh god just the thought of me messing up something that costs so much... no thanks.

Glass painting seems easy enough to try, you basicly only need glass n paint... mayby one of the thick plastic sheets could work instead if thats cheaper?
Ive used a cricut on an internship, not my favorite but it did the job.

Things i sugest you can try:
Embroidery: you basicly only need a needle and thread. Fabric can be an old shirt you where planing on throwing away. With that you can make patches to sew on to anything. You also dont "need" the embroidery ring if you only want to try it out. I saw a tiktok of somebody using the lid of an icecream container and that worked just fine.

Sewing: i sew all my cosplays with hand (pain in the ass but its absolutly posible without machine!).
You could make "artdolls" wich can basicly be anything, some are like plush animals that can bend at the knee and others are hyperrealistic pokemon. They can be human, humanoid, furry, whatever. You can again make patches with it, or if you really wanna try clothes!.

Ive heard knitting can be fun... ive tried several times and im considering once more just to make my doll a damn sweater and not pay 80$ for it.
My tiktok also seems to be full of ppl crocheting lil animals... yea...

Id recomend bjds (and know some cheaper alternatives that arent fake copies) but no idea if your into dolls so before i get into that and write my essay on them i should see if you would or not
My bjds are my characters, so its like my characters are tiny and actually in my room lol. You can do basicly anything with them, change the hair, eyes, clothes and makeup. Ontop of that they come in every size and shape. My main thing to collect is fantasy, i have a faun, a harpy and a humaind with wins and a unicorn horn + im waiting on alot of fantasy dolls atm (Another faun, half dragon faun hybride, another harpy, a naga, one thats like humanoid but with redpanda features and more lol). On top of that theres alot of ppl that are so creative with them... hence why alot are compared to sid from toystory... You know just the regular changing out a head for another, dyeing, shopping off arms and making elfears ect... yea totally normal stuff... And i now see ive written alot on bjds annyway....

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

♦ Gob | 23 | Taurus | Belgium ♦
Insta | Toyhouse | Gallery | Carrd

♦ My Art Shop ♦

Donator — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/21 23:35:26 )

My main hobby is drawing. I even have a degree in animation, but I think I like art more as a hobby than as a potential career. With my drawings I mainly focus on character design and illustration.

Aside from drawing I love to take walks, listen to music, and study. I've been studying Japanese for a little over 3 years, and sometimes in my free time I like to study dental hygiene and the various subjects involved in dental care/ the dental field.

❀❀❀❀

Check out my shop! Currently selling Winter '21 Plasma Orb Items and more.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/22 11:58:44 )

@Ryume: right now I’m going back to school and cause of Rona don’t have a side hustle. But in the past a dog sat or walked dogs for some money lol

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/23 17:55:47 )
    I cook as a hobby. Recently I've been tossing the idea around in my head of making some hard candies.

I don't have a side hustle because the main hustle typically encompasses my life.

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/27 06:16:48 )

Recently my hyperfixation has been my person website (linked in my sig), which I built on the throwback-to-Geocities host, Neocities. I just finished (maybe...) a special seasonal Halloween page that I'm very pleased with. :D

Now that I'm hitting a bit of a wall on updating my site for the time being (at least until I take some nice new photos of my plants for the plants page), I think I'm going to dive into working on the profiles for my characters that don't have proper profiles on Toyhouse yet (also linked in my sig, lol).

I really enjoy web design, even if I'm not very good at it. I'm learning as I go, though to be fair I've been 'learning' since I was about 13 customizing my shop and pet pages on Neopets! (I'm almost 38 now, for perspective, lol.)

I'm also in to a bunch of other stuff, including raising invertebrates (I have isopods and usually have sea monkeys and similar, and I want millipedes and a jumping spider!), caring for plants (I have a bunch), collecting little souvenirs in tiny vials that I keep on a chain, I aspire to build terrariums and I enjoy aquariums as well though I haven't done any in years. I'm also in to YouTube and have two channels on there, my main being mostly fandom stuff currently but I'm hoping to do Let's Plays in the future, and a second channel that's focused on my invertebrates hobby.

I also draw a little, write when my brain will let me, roleplay with my friends occasionally (via Discord these days), and I'm trying to get back into making stuff with Sculpey (polymer clay), a hobby I really enjoyed when I was younger.

As for things I'd like to try, I really would love to get into making stuff with resin, but getting started requires money I don't generally have handy. ^^;

Please ping me!

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/27 10:34:13 )
I love to draw, cook and bake stuff. :3

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.