Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Cleaning Day!

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/26 15:20:10 )
// AI-COM MNRVA : activate MIDNIGHT EXIGENT(aurora knives)

I'm so tempted to just dive into projects as usual, BUUUTTT I've been neglecting the housework lately so I'm putting my own foot down. For myself. xD

If I can do some dusting, get all the trash / crumbs out of the bedroom, and clean the bathroom, I think I can allow myself to relax a little. c': And then it's back to the keyboard, cranking out some code!

• Wash Dishes - done!
  • Kitchen Shelves - done!
  • Kitchen Floor - done!
  • Appliances - done!
  • Dust Living Room
  • Vacuum - 70%
  • Bedroom Shelves (trash) - done!
  • Bathroom Surfaces - done!
  • Bathroom Floor - done!

Ahhhh halfway there. I can do it.

Keep me accountable! Share your tips / hacks / least favourite tasks!

// AI-COM : return // end of line

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/26 17:32:17 )

Good for you! Today I’ve done the dishes and vacuumed my whole house! I know you got this.
A tip I heard is to start cleaning by putting a load of laundry on and then start cleaning other areas while it’s running. :)

Admin — He/Him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/26 18:13:28 )
You've inspired me! Maybe I should probably put away my laundry... lol
If you need assistance or just want to chat, you may contact me anytime by ping or PM.

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/26 19:56:22 )

@Totalanimefan: Ayyy well done! I always have to knock out the dishes first thing, as it's the one task I'll really drag my feet on; but if I get it out of the way, everything else seems inconsequential.

I do still need to vacuum the rugs, but the dogs are lazing around all over them and I always feel guilty by giving them such a rude awakening... c': And I definitely should have started the laundry already buuut I have a massive pile of unfolded clothing and towels to contend with. QwQ

@Vozzy: You can do it! do it before it gets too bad oh god I shamefully crammed mine back into the dryer before work yesterday just to get it out of the way. xD For a while I was pretty good about keeping up with it, but some rough weeks at work messed up my rhythm, and getting it back has been hard. c':

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/26 21:28:36 )
I dislike cleaning the washroom here, but it's only because it's shared. And my worst habit is that I don't make the bed and tend to leave little things out all the time--particularly when I'm pre-occupied with a project.

The other day I watched an episode of Marie Kondo and I think I'd like to take some time tomorrow and go through my own clothing. It's kind of tough to decide what to keep because I haven't worked in an office in so long so it almost seems like a waste to have all the business clothing. Then again, once we all go back, I'll probably need something more than two black dresses.

I usually like to clean room-by-room because sometimes the house on its own can be a little overwhelming. I moved in with my partner, so his entire life is here and I'm slowly finding room to fit in but there's just so much...well, shit.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/26 21:33:43 )

@Vii: good for you for getting the hardest one out of the way ^^
Maybe you can vacuum when your dogs are awake.

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/26 22:19:56 )

@blue: Oh so relatable. I have clothing that's never been worn, or that's from high school, that I've been trying to get rid of. And the number of times I've promised to do just that is laughable; but like your situation, a lot of it is formal/business casual or for special occasions and I think "well, what if?" and hold on to it. :[

Imho room-by-room can be best in most situations. Making rounds can be exhausting and take a lot of time; and there are tools one can use to keep from becoming too hyper-focused on one thing. Plus, even if you decide that's enough or run out of time, you have somewhere tidy to retreat to. xD

@Totalanimefan: I got most of the vacuuming done; just have one area rug to do, but my Golden is back to sleep (different spot, same rug) so I guess that's good enough for me today lol. Might get done later but I have to work in a few hours so probably not. xD

@koneko: Ayyy thank you! I was tempted to give up about halfway but then talked myself out of it. I do think I'll leave the dusting for tomorrow though lol

We can have a cleaning party! Put on some tunes, order some pizza, and jam out until 3AM! |D

Voltie — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/27 00:30:15 )
Sounds good! I just got finished with working on the lawn in the sun. It was a bit of a pain, but I feel really good now that the place is tidy. <3

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/27 04:36:52 )

@Vii: congrats! I ended go going to the store too. So I finished that task too! Tomorrow is laundry ^^

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/27 07:26:34 )

@koneko: Right?? It's so much faster, easier, and more fun with and extra set of hands! And you never know which one of your friends might have a great eye for interior design lol. Plus for some reason it feels like less of a chore when you're helping someone else, but I have that weird mom-friend trait too so idk. xD

@Pospeb: Oooof working out in the heat is something I just cannot do. Huge respect for folks who can do it, and do it by choice to less! Well done! You definitely deserve to kick back and enjoy the fruits of that labour!

@Totalanimefan: Yasss! I need to do some laundry tomorrow too; work uniform and sheets. And do all the dusting in one swoop... OH god and that big pile in the dryer that needs folding--

why do I do this to myself lol

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/27 15:36:46 )

@koneko: And then it gets to the point where you're like "no, seriously, PLEASE let us help you, we have no dishes left" lol

I started some laundry and am working myself up to folding the big pile that's been floating between the dryer and the chair for a week. |D Everything else will feel like a cakewalk once I get that monster out of the way c':

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/27 16:23:43 )

@Vii: I'm so bad with the folding part too. Do you have a friend or SO to help you? I'm washing all of my towels today. I didn't realize that I had so many to wash and the washer is pretty full in this load. Oops lol

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/27 16:53:20 )

Pro tip: If you have lots of loads to do, do the towels and sheets first. They are easier to put away when done compared to clothes and then you won't not wash the towels and sheets because you don't want to fold the dry clothes in the dryer. :)
That's what I always do. ^^

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/27 17:12:26 )

@Totalanimefan: Thankfully my boyfriend will usually put away the clothes after I fold them, but folding is pretty much off the table for him. xD I wouldn't mind putting his clothes away if he didn't seem hell-bent on destroying his dresser every time he gets ready... oTL

@koneko: Precisely! Plus towels are so big and bulky that four of them can make up an entire load. Which is annoying when it looks like you have so much more laundry than you really do. >:C

I did finally tackle the massive clean laundry pile, washed all of our clothes save for whites, and dusted the
living room; gotta make some breakfast now though~

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/27 17:15:57 )

@Vii: What timezone are you in? It's already noon for me. ^^ I walked to a local bagel shop and had that for breakfast! It was nice to get a walk in before it was raining today, but it was still pretty hot out. Congrats on doing so much before breakfast!
My husband folds and I put away most of the time.
I pick out the PJs, underwear and socks and I sort that and then my husband picks out the shirts and pants and folds or hangs those. Divide and conquer works for us.

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/27 17:43:02 )

@Totalanimefan: I'm in MST, so it's about 9:30-ish right now! I like to get up fairly early so I can get a head start on the day and make lunch for my boyfriend on days he works. It feels really nice to look at the clock around this time and already have things done; I've found that if I sleep in, I tend to get lazy and then all I want to do all day is sit around, which then makes me grumpy in the evening. c':

Which is not to say that I think others are lazy for sleeping in and easing into the day! Tbh I wish I could sleep past 8 without being sick or hungover LOL

You and your hubby have some good teamwork! As long as it gets done, that's the important thing, right? And breaking things down into smaller, more manageable bits is the key to progress.

It's really neat that you're able to walk to a local cafe for breakfast! Q-Q I'd love to live somewhere like that but we're in a pretty rural area. (My neighbours have horses and cows!) The closest thing to a cafe around here is the gas station 15 minutes away, or the Starbuck's a few minutes farther from that lol.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/27 18:11:00 )

@Vii: Yeah when I sleep in I don't do as much during the day and the day goes by faster without me having done anything.
We are being so productive today. I hope that keeps up for the both of us. I've been reviewing my study notes so far today. I should take the plunge with learning excel but I've been hesitating.
Towels are in the dryer now. So I just need to do one more load and it will be clothes and then I've done my cleaning for the day too.

The bagel place is about half a mile away, but it's all very walkable. So it's like 10 mins to there, and then a 10 min walk back. It was 80% humidity today, so that part wasn't nice. I love where I live because you can pretty much walk anywhere. And if not there is a metro train about 7 mins walk from my place. From there I can go wherever in this area. And it also connects to the airport and Amtrak too if I need to leave the region.

It's also cool to live somewhere with horses and cows. They are good neighbors. ^^

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/27 18:30:08 )

@Totalanimefan: That sounds so nice honestly. I know the grass is always greener, and you probably have your fair share of struggles and annoyances in getting around, but do I miss living in a more developed area.

As a kid, we lived in the suburbs of Chicago where there was always so much stuff going on and so many places nearby to hang out, get snacks, etc; then we moved here to AZ where everything is so spread out, everything is beige, and things like Chinatown are only in movies. c':

But living out here definitely has its perks. All the animals are cute and we have a good amount of foliage, even if most of it is weeds (lol). We're mostly in an area where everyone pretty much knows everyone and has each-other's backs, but minds their own business, which is nice.

Dirt roads and dust though...not nice. :c

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/27 19:00:38 )

@Vii: I would take your area before the suburbs. I feel like that's the worst of both. Still around people, in in the sense of traffic and busy grocery stores, but also it feels isolating since you tend to be far away from friends or family. Or the only way to get anywhere is driving you people tend to be out of shape. Commutes to work or school are long and tiring. And to add to your point, AZ is just an urban planning failure. lol

When you are in the countryside, you are far from the store, but you get to be surrounded by greenery, forests, water, animals. All things that are stress relievers. And it's pretty quiet too.

But when you live in a more urban place that's walkable you see people on the street interacting with people. You walk to the farmer's market, the bank, the store, the post office, coffee shop etc. It's good for your health. The people you know tend to live closer to you so it's easy to see them. Then there are the perks of living in a big city or close to it. Like in DC there are always things to do on the weekend. Biking trails, museums, live shows, good restaurants, etc.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/28 06:31:06 )

@Totalanimefan: Yeah there are definitely perks to both ways of living! The funny thing is that I miss all the activities and excitement of living near the city, but I'm such a hermit anyway and really... don't ever do anything. xD That and crowds can get overwhelming after a while.

And the birds are so loud around here that they don't even sound real! So pleasant though. <3

Living in DC seems like it'd be really cool with all those museums and monuments to visit, not to mention the food; but all the people and tourist traffic probably gets old real fast. We kind of get it with the snow birds and that's bad enough, but at least that's seasonal. xD

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.