Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Cleaning Day!

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/28 19:55:12 )
A friend in DC is living their best life; they moved back after we graduated. There always seems like so much to do, and it's a nice blend of green spaces and city. I'm in one of the biggest cities in the country and almost every week I experience an opportunity that makes me feel like a country bumpkin, hahaha. I'm originally from a very rural area that had a lot of wilderness and mountains, so going to a huge city after is very eye-opening. It's a totally different way of life.

Not good or bad, just different.

I think Seattle was probably one of the first times I ever fell in love with a place. I used to visit often as a kid, then as a young adult, and I really loved how you could have these big patches of trees and hydrangeas even in the city. I think the only day I wasn't having a great time was when I was caught in a torrential downpour while wearing a dressed-up outfit for dinner. I showed up looking like a soaked rat, but everything went well.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/29 00:44:01 )

@Vii: Crowds really can get overwhelming. And with Rona there wasn't that much to do in person. It's a little better now, like today I went to an art museum and it was really nice. ^^ I do think that if I was living rurally I would miss it a bit because I grew up in a small suburb and lots of times as a teen the only thing to do was the mall or hang at a friends house.
Birds <3 I love them.
Snow birds? Do you live in FL? We use that term there too. I wasn't the biggest fan of snow bird either lol. DC is very cool. It's a city, but also it's beautiful and clean and there are lots of trees and parks. Lots to see and do as well. Today before the museum we also tried out a new bakery and it was really good!

@blue: I'm glad your friend is liking DC. I like it here too. Maybe when it's save to do so, you could visit them. The spring time is really beautiful because it's Cherry Blossom season!!
Wilderness and mountains are nice. I also like wilderness and the beach. :)
OMG You got soaked! Seattle seems like a cool place! I couldn't live there because I can seasonal depression easily and I need to see the sun! When was the last time you were there? Could you see yourself living in Seattle?

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/29 04:11:15 )
@Totalanimefan: Oh, I've always wanted to visit in the spring just to see the cherry blossoms. It always looks so romantic in photos.

I think the last time I was there was 2019, but only for a brief period. I lived there only for about a year, which is probably why it held so much charm for me. Although it has changed quite a bit since Microsoft moved in and really turned it into a little Silicon Valley. Downtown is full of ritzy apartment condoplexes, restaurants are all fast counter service, and it's all to suit the tech guys who work there. I don't think I could live there now; it's a city for a younger person with a faster pace in mind.

Ahh, the seasonal depression is a big thing! I grew up further north so it was common to be in the darkness with long winters. I don't think it bothered me too much because I was used to it, but it has a huge effect on people that didn't grow up there.

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/29 08:50:56 )
// AI-COM MNRVA : activate MIDNIGHT EXIGENT(aurora knives)

@Totalanimefan: That's kind of how I feel; I miss being able to walk to the library or the movie theatre, and the wider range of foods available. There are a surprising number of niche cultures represented down here, but it doesn't compare to a big city with literal cultural districts lol

I'm on the other side of the country in AZ! Still hot, but thankfully much less humid (and a lot less expensive!). And, like Florida, disproportionately populated by sunsetters during the winter months. lol. But it's been so long that this is pretty much home and I'm all but used to not being able to touch anything outdoors during the summertime.

We did visit DC a couple times when I was younger; I would love to go again someday now that I'm older and better able to appreciate everything.

// AI-COM : return // end of line

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/30 02:08:38 )

@blue: photos don’t even do cherry blossoms justice. They are just too beautiful. You gotta go to Japan or DC one year to see them.
Cities change but that’s a good thing in the end. Cities they don’t change stagnate and then die. Maybe you can just visit from time to time.
Yeah I grew up in FL so I get it pretty bad. I do have a lamp to help me. :)

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/30 02:24:00 )

@Vii: being able to walk everywhere or take the train is just the best.
It makes sense that AZ would get snowbirds too. When I used the phrase in CA everyone looked at me like I had 2 heads.
It’s a great city for adults lol

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/30 08:17:51 )

@Totalanimefan: I would definitely not begrudge living in the desert so much if we had strong public transit. But since everything is so spread out, it just isn't feasible in most places beyond the heart of the metro.

I suppose the term snowbird seems so odd to Californians because most of the retired folks just stay there year round? Honestly not sure. I know my grandma would have lived in Santa Barbara all year if she could have, but I don't know if it's still her favourite place or not. Definitely was very nice to visit; I could probably live there too, granted I could afford it. xD

Pls give me water ocean instead of dust ocean!

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/30 15:51:42 )
I thought snowbirds was a common thing! hahaha
Where I grew up, it was very common for people to leave in the winter to Hawai'i or Florida. Generally they seemed to prefer paradise to golfing, as far as I can remember. I do enjoy the winters, but sometimes those cold snaps can really be a catalyst for buying a plane ticket out of there.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/30 18:19:31 )

@Vii: I know AZ is like that and I hate it lol. It’s so ugly and not good for people or the environment.
Yeah that’s true. People stay there all year and don’t move around much. It’s like CA is it’s own bubble.

@blue: so maybe we aren’t crazy and it’s just those people in CA didn’t know about snowbirds lol

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/31 15:50:47 )

@Totalanimefan: Yeah and it's a total shame because there are loads of opportunities for development and such out here, but everyone likes how cheap it is and doesn't want everyone else to start moving here either. xD It's also funny in a sad way though because a lot of the people out here have a very close-minded or outdated mindset and just don't want the way of life out here to ever move forward... :c

CA is absolutely in its own bubble though xD Might as well be its own country. All those jokes about it breaking off the continent aren't just about earthquakes xD

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/31 15:57:52 )

@Vii: Yes preach! Not enough people understand that. It's the same way in FL except in like Miami. I just hate living in car dependent places. It's so draining to have to drive everywhere and then there is no time for working out either. If you don't have a car you just feel so trapped. And forget having a job if you can't drive.
I agree that it's like people are too afraid to be car free? Like all they can think of is being stuck at home but that's not what it means at all. We aren't going to take the car away from you, we are going to give you more options and make it so you have a better sense of community.

lol that's true. Big states are kinda like that. I feel like FL or TX could be it's own country too. I guess it's tough when you are hours away from a border.

How's the cleaning been going? I cleaned the bathroom yesterday and I felt so proud of myself. Like it was just one bathroom and it didn't even take me that long, but mentally I was dreading it and I was just like, ok do it and be done with it, even if you hate it.
But I didn't and I was just so happy about proud after that I checked that off my list. ^^

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/31 16:16:29 )

@Totalanimefan: Yeah it's like people think you can't be independent or free while using public transit? Idk. And I do get it, it is nice being able to go anywhere or do anything at a moment's notice, not beholden to schedules or other passengers; but like you said it doesn't have to be that way.

Trying to get a job out here without a reliable ride is impossible. Even in town where there are buses and the lightrail, they'll still pass up a perfect application if the applicant doesn't have a car. I've seen some people tough it out and walk places, but who wants to walk an hour in the AZ summer to work? Dx

I haven't really cleaned much over the past couple days :x I got engrossed in projects all day yesterday, and had a headache to boot xD I have been keeping the sink clear and trying to keep the living room from getting too cluttered though. And it'll be back to work today QwQ So gotta wash the uniform and stuff. I'm with you there on cleaning the bathroom; doing it thoroughly is a real chore and can get gross, but it is SO satisfying having a fresh bathroom! I often have to break it into two chunks: surfaces and then shower. We have really hard water out here and it coats the shower with all sorts of crusty minerals that don't budge. And then there's my long-AF hair everywhere xD

My weekends always go by too fast... but after this week, I had them reduce my hours so I can spend more time on Voltra, and that'll help a LOT. I'm way overdue for a vacation but there ain't no rest for the wicked!

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/31 16:20:11 )

Noice!
A cleaning day can be so hard to commit but is always worth it in the end~

Art DumpAvatar GalleryQuest Items

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/31 16:23:48 )

@Vii: Absolutely. I guess they just think about it the way that it is now with no improvements and think that change would force them to use it? That's honestly the only thing I could think of.

I remember having interviews in CA and they told me that if you didn't have a car to be able to get to and from they were going to hire you. I thought that was crazy! I would not walk an hour in the AZ heat. That's too dangerous.

You did do all the cleaning in one day, so that means you don't have to do it for a few days lol. Cool that you had stuff to work on yesterday. I got a headache too, I wonder what we got our from? Too much screens?
I agree with you with the bathroom. The shower or tub is just a different beast than the rest and it's such a pain to clean! In CA I had the hardest water and it sucked! Here the water isn't bad. It's not soft as NYC. They have the best water. But here is pretty good. It even tastes good from the tap.

Good for you! Take that break from work (and get to work on fun stuff like Voltra). I can't wait to see what you come out with! ^^ I'm glad that you could join them again as a Dev. ^^ You should probably go on a vacation soon, but with Rona it's like, what are you even going to do with time off lol

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/31 16:37:34 )

@Totalanimefan: I need to get better at spreading out my tasks and not spending 12 hours on one thing |D

Ideally I'd like to get back into doing a few chores every day to keep up on things, as I can feel myself falling back into my old ways...but it's like I can't let go of something until it's done. xD Cleaning, projects, video games...send help xD

I've gotten a headache for the past three Mondays. Too much screen time is probably it; I also don't have a great chair to use while on the laptop, so end up slouching, which absolutely doesn't help. D: Idk about you but I also know I don't drink enough water oTL We gotta keep each other in check! Sit up straight! lol

You've lived in / visited quite a few places, huh? o: We moved around a lot, but mostly within one state until we moved to AZ in 2009. But you've been all around the country! That's awesome c:

I'm excited to help bring more features to the site and be part of its growth! Hopefully soon I can get some game prototypes working, so we have a few more things for everyone to do, and to keep the more shy folks from feeling too sidelined.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/31 17:08:09 )

@Vii: Maybe, but at least you get it done.
Maybe writing down a list and telling yourself you are going to do two things form the list daily?
I have a planner and I've been writing down one cleaning task per day and that's been working for me and then I get to cross it off when I'm done. ^^

Balancing everything in life is hard and there is no right way to do it. Just the way that you find works best for you. That's no good. Make sure that you bring a big thing of water with you to the desk and then sip from it. That will keep you going without having to get up a lot.

I have lived in a few places. Deets about that is in my profile bio lol

That would be so cool! Games is most deff something that people have been asking for for a while. It would help, and if we have to spend more time at home in the winter again it gives people something to do. ^^

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/1 18:24:28 )

@Totalanimefan: I used to have a cleaning schedule and it did work pretty well, but once I slipped off the wagon (i.e. skipped a day or two) it would be disproportionately difficult to get back into the routine. c': Definitely couldn't hurt to try again, though; it's been quite a while, and though it's already been a year since we moved, we are living in a much nicer environment than we were before and that definitely motivates me to maintain things.

I've got a really big cup that's about two servings, so as long as I can drink a few of these a day, I should be good!

And that totally gives me more inspiration to get something working! Playing games was honestly always my favourite part of sites like these, so it'll be awesome to have more things to do (and more ways to earn currency for hermit crabs like me LOL)!

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/2 01:33:09 )

@Vii: I feel like that is going to be me. I fall off of it and then it's harder to get back on. But honestly with cleaning, any progress is progress. The days are there to help you out. Not to make you feel like you failed.
I've been drinking lots of water today, but I made the mistake of getting a small glass so I keep having to refill it lol

I know from the community discussions in the past we are getting a BlackJack game. I'm super excited for that one. I will probably play it lots lol

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/2 19:35:44 )
    I watched a couple episodes of a new drama, and then felt the urge to clean. I mopped the kitchen, vacuumed the house, changed the sheets, steam cleaned a pillow, then steamed the entire washroom. I can't even relay to you the horror I felt in my bones when I pulled up that shower mat. Needless to say, I steamed and sanitized it, then ordered stickers for the tub instead.

I'm pretty happy with what I did yesterday, though. Even vacuumed out the air filter.
    I think I'll probably just organize a few drawers today.

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/3 07:20:28 )

@Totalanimefan: I didn't want to say too much and end up spilling beans that weren't meant to be spilled, but the game is very close--some tweaks, some testing, some polish...hoping to get some good progress on it this weekend! Every time I get started I end up distracted in some way. |D

That is true. I need to stop being so hard on myself about housework; but a lot of it is just because I know I can do better. c:

Hey, each trip to refill your glass is a good bit of exercise too! Idk about you but sitting down for too long is too hard anymore. xD We can get you a nice big pitcher with a curly straw, fruit flag, and umbrella :3

@blue: Holy cow that's a lot! And those are all quality tasks, too! I can imagine it was horrifying, but the satisfaction has got to be proportionate. c:

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.