Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ┤▒├ Wildfire's World ┤▒├ All welcome, all the time - come say Hi!

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 16:29:51 )
@Koah: It is amazing what spending a few hours outside can do, isn't it? I'm glad you got out and are feeling better for having done so!
I am on my second cup of coffee - I'm not sure it's helping me much this morning, but not sleeping well tends to have that kind of effect :(
-cheers-
What's on the kids' school agenda today? Anything interesting?

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 16:47:44 )
@Wildfire: -cheers- sometimes coffee doesn't do much with poor sleep. </3 I hope you get better sleep tonight.
I'm hoping today I get some direction from their teachers. I'm thinkin' I'm going to email them and see what their weekly schedule looks like. Feels like everything is sort of chaotic. I ended up crashing pretty hard this weekend from trying to keep my kids focused and doing homework.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 17:23:45 )
@Koah: Thank you. It would be very nice to sleep well tonight!
Things are still chaotic with their classes? I would think a lot of the initial bumps would have been ironed out by now. Chatting with the teachers sounds like a good idea, though - there's really so much going on it's hard to keep everything organized and keeping the kids focused is not an easy thing to do sometimes - especially when they're home and there are pets to play with, video games tucked just around the corner, a fridge full of food to raid... whatever the distractions! Good luck!

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 17:55:55 )
@Wildfire: lol, yup indeed. Lots of distractions. I put my daughter in her own space, so she can't see the dogs, her brother, or the fridge.
Kids are doing their work now.
It feels chaotic because I'm expected to keep my kids focused, but I'm not told directly what they're supposed to be doing.
Anyway, What plans do you have for today? c:

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 17:58:15 )

Not really. I might go to Michael's in a bit, before I gotta work this afternoon at 3.
      I'm in need of being surrounded by crafting things.
      And I also want to see about getting some new washi tapes and maybe a few new Tombow's.
      I also need some inspiration for my October spread in my bullet journal...

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 18:01:27 )
I wanna go with you!
Taking a trip to a craft store sounds relaxing.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 18:02:25 )

Sounds good, let's go. lmao

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 18:05:08 )
Dangit! Don't tease me! lol We have a JoAnne's nearby but not a Michaels'.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 18:06:54 )

Aww boo.
      My Michael's is closer than my JoAnne's.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 18:08:35 )
I'd have to drive another half hour to get to a craft store.
I haven't made any friends yet in my new state/town. :d

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 18:13:46 )
@Koah: Oh that does not sound like a good combination - how are you supposed to help them or keep them focused if you don't know what they're supposed to be doing or how long it will take, etc.?

@Anarchist Beauty: Fun! I wanna go to Michael's and get craft stuff too!!

I'm surrounded by craft stores - there are at least two or three Michael's and Joanne's each within a few miles of me, plus a couple other places that sell craft supplies. It makes it difficult, sometimes, to not spend all my money on craft stuff!!

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 18:20:14 )
@Wildfire: My son's teacher has sent me very vague instructions. So I'm sort of guessing/doing what I think he's supposed to be doing.
My daughter's teacher tells her students what to do. However, once the class meeting is over, my daughter is a squirrel. She goes "Uhhm.. I thiiiink.. I'm supposed to... do math?"
*mommy facepalm so hard*

-
I always spend too much when I walk into a craft store. I always go with a list though, so at least I get what I really want or need for a craft.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 18:25:31 )
@Koah: That does not sound like an easy situation to try to manage with your kids and their schooling - it doesn't sound like you really have the teacher's help or support, tbh. I'm sorry :(

I have to avoid the craft stores usually. It's far too tempting to buy all the things and I always seem to get distracted doing things other than my intended creative projects, so I don't need to spend the money or try to figure out where and how to store the stuff until I eventually, maybe, get to using it one day...

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 19:01:10 )
I'm proud of myself, the last 2 times I've been to craft stores, I walked out spending less than 30$.
I've become a lot more organized recently. I've moved a lot in the last 2 years and I couldn't afford to move extra art/craft stuff.
I'd love to get back into doing crafting and artsy things. :d But I don't know where to start.

I know my son's teacher is dealing with a website not working, so I'm doing a supplement site until she can get it back up and running, but it's been a solid week since her website went down.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 19:15:02 )
@Koah: You start with one project you find interesting, or with one material you want to work with and go from there. What types of things do you like to do?

Technical issues are no fun at all, but a week to have one down seems a bit much - especially if the teacher and kids are relying on it for school.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 19:21:58 )
Every year I do something different with crafting. I made quilts one year, did jewelry the next, painting, digital art, india ink, list goes on.
Last winter I did carving and gave the faces I carved to family on Christmas.

I haven't had a new itch yet this year. I bought stuff to make new curtains for one of the rooms in the house. But just haven't done it yet.
My mom is bringing me more of my stuff this week and she'll be giving me my instruments. So maybe I'll pick up music again. :d

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 19:23:54 )
You have a nice little creative process set up for yourself, don't you? - that's awesome! <3
What musical instruments do you play?

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 19:29:46 )
I play piano. c: Our house came with a beautiful piano, however, the keys stick really bad. I'm unable to play music on it without it sounding super wonky.
I have a Viola, lap drum, and a theremin. .. and an electric guitar. I haven't touched them in a few years. Been moving too much.
Maybe i'll learn the viola this year. :d

What do you do for hobbies? crafting?

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 19:38:33 )
Oh, now that's a question!! Let's see - what do I do for hobbies or fun? I play on avatar sites and do some online work. I do visual art -drawing, painting, collage, whatever - but can't seem to get in to my studio to actually do anything "real". I like being outside, but don't get there often enough, tbh - kayaking, hiking, bicycling, the beach, camping, etc. I was teaching myself how to play ukulele but that has dropped by the wayside. I'm trying to learn Italian. I cook a lot (teenage boys), and until very recently, the majority of my days and weeks was taken up with homeschooling - co-ops, classes, schedules, curriculum, etc. Some days it seems like all I do is cook and do dishes.

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/28 21:00:31 )
@Wildfire: If you have any quick meal ideas, I'm all ears. I'm not very good at cooking and I need to get better. My kids are only getting older and hungrier.
I'm learning Norwegian as well. :) Learning a different language makes my brain feel sharp.
I need more outdoor hobbies, all the things I did outside sort of stopped once all my moving and working started. I miss hiking... hmm, I wonder if that's something I should do with my smalls tonight or this week sometime.

I'd love to see your artwork sometime. :D

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.