Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ┤▒├ Wildfire's World ┤▒├ All welcome, all the time - come say Hi!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 14:39:02 )
I'm glad you're feeling a little better. It sounds like it was a rough day at the shop though!

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 14:47:22 )

It was.

Yesterday I was scheduled to sort some books from a pre-sort gaylord (pictured below). These things are pretty big, and absolutely full of books, magazines, dvds, cds, and vhs. Eventually you get to a point where you have to get inside the darn thing. I got to maybe a little under half by the time I had to go get lunch. Goodwill makes you take a 30 minute lunch break. Like they get mad if you don't. Anyway after lunch I was supposed to switch with my coworker and work the register. Turns out we didn't have anything for them to scan into. Because I hadn't finished that gaylord. So we call the bossman and ask what we should do. His solution was for us to switch again and I finish that darn gaylord. My bruises are from getting in and out of the gaylord. My leg pressing down on the rim. Usually I take a box into the gaylord with me. Fill it up and sort the different price points on a table. Well the only way I've been able to finish sorting is by loading my box with more than I can safely carry. So I'm lifting a heavy butt box up and down the step ladder I need to get in and out of the gaylord. I'm carrying that weight backwards when getting out. Which is very nerve racking.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 14:53:18 )
Yeah, that sounds -and looks- like a daunting and potentially dangerous task! They really expect you to climb in and out of those things...carrying books? Yikes!

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 14:55:12 )

Yes they do. It's quite the work out.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 14:57:02 )
I bet it is! It seems like they -and you- would benefit from a modification to the box design... maybe a flap you can cut out and fold down or something once you get to a certain point in the unloading process...

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 14:58:17 )

Actually the retail stores do that. For some reason the bookstores don't.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:00:29 )
... because that makes sense. Not. I'm envisioning one of those things filled with something like dolls... much lighter than books... and they have a fold-down flap (or something similar) but books don't?? What's the thinking behind that - any idea?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:01:50 )

No idea. For some reason they thought it was more dangerous.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:06:04 )
Maybe, when the box is full to the top... if the "flaps" aren't designed right to hold the weight and pressure of books leaning directly against them, but that's a design issue and those can be overcome. I would think the hazard to humans would be more of an issue if they want you climbing in and out of those things all the time...

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:08:41 )

No idea. Goodwill decisions don't always make a lot of sense. Lol the best part is. I have to sort a full one of those an hour.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:10:59 )
Yeah, you've mentioned that expectation before. That too seems unrealistic... especially combined with having to climb in and out of the thing!

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:12:27 )

Yep. My boss can do it, and so could our area manager. But I'm struggling to finish one under three hours.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:14:12 )
I hope they're not giving you grief about your timing. Have you asked HOW they manage to do that in that time-frame? I'd be curious...
Maybe being able to do it is a hidden prerequisite for becoming a manager or something! XD

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:18:07 )

I kind of know what's slowing me down. Mostly I still hesitate at putting the item into a price point. I'm still not sure what is a 1.99 book or a 2.99 book. It seems like a small thing to slow you down. But each hesitation adds up.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:21:32 )
That makes sense, and yes, it's amazing what 30 seconds here and there can add up to when they're totaled. :3 Is the price point something that you can ask for clarity on? Or is it just a "choose one and stick a sticker on it" kind of thing - are you thinking about it too much, maybe?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:24:27 )

Honestly I've asked multiple times, and got pretty vague answers. Like smaller Hallmark gift books are easy enough. Generally they're 1.99. But 2.99 books can just as easily be 3.99.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:25:20 )
So maybe you're just overthinking it and you should pick one price and just stick it on the book... whatever price point comes first in to your mind?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:27:04 )

Might just have to do that. At worse someone corrects me later.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:32:31 )
Right - and it opens a dialogue for really figuring out what the differences between price points are. If I had to guess though, you'd be pretty good at picking one over the ,and an occasional difference in opinion about one price point versus the next isn't going to be much of an issue...
... and opinion about price points because it doesn't sound like it's very well defined - at least not to the point where higher-ups can easily explain it.

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:34:21 )

At least some of the are very easy to be sure. All VHS is .99, and 3.99 is easy because it's basically all the normal sized hardbacks.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.