Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Life is calling and a move is in my future

Donator — SIR Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 07:57:02 )
β„πŸŒˆToday is a fresh start, do the next best thing and check in on your friends! πŸŒˆβ„

Recent events have caused me to reevaluate a lot of things in life. In doing so, I decided to stick around voltra but remove myself from other sites.

Also, I'm looking at moving. Currently I'm in Arkansas but looking at moving to AZ, northern CA, or CO currently. Would love to hear from fellow volties in those areas to help better my decision as to where I might relocate with my kiddo. This community has been a blessing and I want to make the best choices for me and my lil man. AR represents my past and people who are there when convenient. I have friends in each of the places listed but would like more information.

So, tell me about your area and why it might be a good place to make a new home and life for my son and myself?

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 10:43:42 )
@xanthan: im not from any of those areas im from northern ireland.. i just wanted to say goodluck and wish u well on ur new journey hope you and ur little man find a nice place to settle down in <3

Donator — SIR Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 14:20:58 )
β„πŸŒˆToday is a fresh start, do the next best thing and check in on your friends! πŸŒˆβ„

@LilMissKushy: omg I'd love to leave country and go bogging in Ireland. Thank you for the well wishes. I miss traveling and I have been restless. Alaska looks noce but I know nobody there at all. But it is nice and cold and omg the aurora borealis would be magical.

Where in ireland are you from? I had a penpal for over 7 years from Ireland. She's now in London I believe. We reconnected on FB some years ago. I'd love to hear more about where you're from.

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 14:26:59 )
@xanthan: im from the north of ireland its seperate from ireland now they went independent many years ago.. but both places have pretty views and tourist attractions..
I live in a wee town outside Belfast.. its nice and quiet here.. where i live i can look out my window and see all the hills and fields and a big mountain with a tower .. its called scrabo tower..
I would love to see the aurora borealis too its so pretty

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 17:24:14 )
I'm from Colorado. I quite enjoy it here. What sorts of questions do you have?

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 18:46:45 )
γ€Ž Moody Says. . .』

β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…

I live in CO, but housing can be very expensive.
Even apartments.
Traffic always gets very backed up easily. It is a pretty decent state to live in but
there are up and downs.

But it is beautiful here. Not sure which area you want to live in, in CO.
Denver I do not recommend because it just has a lot of traffic.

Donator — SIR Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 23:53:45 )

@LilMissKushy: sounds divine.

@Glume: I'm not sure exactly. Looking for friends. Ideas. I enjoy a quiet serene life but city access. Just tired of where I am. I want a better life for my kiddo.

@MoodyBats: thanks for the info. My friend is a children's boom author. She's near Colorado Springs I believe.

All in all I know I'm taking risk but nothing here in AR is for me any longer. Not my family. Nothing. Everyone seems so fair weather and I am ready to move forward. To do so you take risks. Im not adraid of that.

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/14 01:30:52 )
γ€Ž Moody Says. . .』

β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…β–…

@Xanthan: I live in the Springs.
I can say for sure, it is NOISY.

Though I would stay away from The east and South side of the springs.
I sort of live with the North i believe.
I lived in thee South part a couple years back and it was the worst. there was quite a bit of crime[where literally someone was killed in the apartment behind mine].

West side wasn't too good either but it could've changed in the time i lived there when I was growing up.
don't know too much about the west side but generally the North side is better.

Places here, even apartments for one person can go from $1000-1500 maybe more.
But if you can afford it, that's awesome!
Colorado is a decent place though. Beautiful mountains, pretty good weather.
It does snow..sometimes. lol.
Sometimes even randomly.
It is also a pretty dry climate.

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/14 03:26:27 )

I live in Northern CA. I would not come without a job already lined up and you need to make sure your job will pay your enough. Rent is normally at least $3000 for a one bedroom. More in SF. Their average one bed is $3400 a month.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/14 04:38:03 )

I used to live in Sacramento and can confirm that literally everything is going to cost you more there, not just rent. Gas, groceries, everything. It would not be my first recommendation.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/14 08:49:41 )
@Xanthan: I live in Thornton right now. I'm in a cute little house in the friendliest neighborhood I've ever experienced. When I was in an apartment, things were mild... occasionally you'd see children causing a bit of chaos but neighbors minded their own business. This neighborhood is somehow full of children but there is no chaos... my neighbors are constantly bringing me food and buying things for my new baby. Its strange to me to have neighbors with a sense of community, because I did not experience that anywhere else I lived. I kinda feel like I'm slacking in reciprocation lol

Locally, there are a lot of things for me to do socially... the comic shop I used to work at is a few blocks away, and they host events and let people just come hang out whenever, with plenty of games available to play. There are a few farmers markets with great food. Lots of small-business style restaurants that treat you like family. We're not too far from Denver, which is a bit more hustle-bustle-y... there is a bit of a homeless problem, but they're almost always just nice people down on their luck. I've never been afraid when in Denver. We have an amazing local music scene, and local shows are very cheap. Bigger acts often roll through on the cheap as well, and play smaller venues so you can get up-close and personal with them.

As Moody said, our weather is rather unpredictable... but to me, that means you're not stuck with unfavorable conditions. If it snows, its usually melted by the next day or two.

The mountains are gorgeous, and whenever we drive up, I feel a bit healthier. My sinuses clear up, I can breathe better, and there is a good mental clarity that comes from being far from other people. Camping in the mountains is simply lovely.

Its worth mentioning that marijuana is legal, not that everyone doesn't know that already. If you're ok with that, its great, but I can see how it might be annoying if you're not. There are an abundance of dispensaries... like a LOT. My husband and I both partake to ease our anxiety, so its very convenient if you use for medicinal purposes. Its also easy to get CBD for medicinal use as well (its the only thing that takes the edge of my migraines.) If you get yourself a med badge, there are tons of job opportunities in that field, and they can pay very well. Its also not hard to avoid contact with marijuana, its not as though everyone is walking down the street smoking... but its nice to be aware that its a thing I guess.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — SIR Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/15 05:36:27 )

Thank you all. Love the feedback. Going to get with my kiddo and go over options.
🌈 Have you ever been touched so gently you had to cry or invited a stranger to come inside?
🌈

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/15 05:48:22 )
I live a little south of Sacramento. Things are costly - though they aren't horrific until you head to the bay like SF. However, this is also from the perspective of someone who has lived in CA her whole life, so the high prices seem moderate and the way high prices seem high to us. The cost of living is definitely something to consider. While CA is gorgeous, and there is so much to do, I recommend you actually live in a residential town that's off-set from a big city because it'll be easier to afford there. City living is tough to afford.

I think there's so much variety depending on where you're considering in California. Mountain living up here is rather pleasant, with absolutely stunning environments and nice communities. I prefer the central valley, though, because I like my weather hot. I think you'll like the people that live here, and we do plenty of soft talk in CA like you would expect from the midwest. If you're thinking of living in way-up North, consider living in Oregon and driving down haha (Oregon has gorgeous weather but I also love commuting/driving so I'm biased)
returned 6/7

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.