Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts Moody's Bat Cave

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 20:10:45 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Bearnas Tyr: Hello and welcome!
Motivation can be very tough.
But starting is always the hardest part.

If you are unable to self teach maybe skill share can help as it's kinda like
taking classes and you get feedback. Though it's $10 a month if that is an option for you.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 20:22:51 )
@Moodybats: I feel like none of my pieces come out how I want XD But, I use a ton of references, and I draw the hands like 4 or 5 times, so it's not so bad??

But I've never tried drawing eerie creatures. ><

@Bearnas tyr: I also crave a proper education. It's so hard when school is expensive, and then the quarantine, but I try and submit some of my works to redline groups that help me on anatomy or something like that.

Selling my soul would be so much easier.

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 20:25:33 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@CheshireCat: Well practice helps you get better.
I'm terrible at hands. It's one of the many things I need to make time to work on.
They just always come out terrible in the end lol

Eerie creatures are my JAM.
It's like my art only comes out good when I draw them.
Probably because I enjoy to draw them the most.

Regular hoomans? Nah.

Donator — Dumbass Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 20:25:44 )
@MoodyBats:
I definitely find finishing to be the hardest part haha
've got a large folder of WIP's to attest to that xD

I did consider Skillshare! Sadly I can't really afford it atm. Maybe in the near future I can get some classes ^^

@CheshireCat:
It really would be.

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 20:28:41 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Bearnas Tyr: It takes a lot to finish something.
I only started finishing art this year.
I basically have to keep the mindset of "finished is better than perfect"
as being a perfectionist severely held me back.

I can relate. I hope you'll be able to afford it one day.
Youtube has some useful tips too sometimes when it comes to art.
I practically live on youtube. :vanora_sweat:

Voltie — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 20:49:50 )
@Bearnas Tyr: Proper education is... not all it's cracked up to be. It can be very good for some and I did benefit from in class work. But you're only gonna get out of it what you are wiling (and able too) to put in. If you can't self start then proper education isn't going to fix it.

I struggle with motivation a lot. A thing that has helped me is accepting that not every piece I fart out has to look great, or even that good. Another is learning to forgive myself when I don't meet deadlines and finishing it anyway. Most important is that not every piece has to be finished. It's ok to leave things as sketches, or lines, or flats. I still learned from it and I'll be able to do it better next time.

Self starting doesn't come naturally for many people. It's a skill just as much as art is. You have to work up to it.

I wish quarantine was just some extended holiday we were all on but it's not. Don't be so hard on your lack of success right now because we are in global crisis. It is so, so much harder now than it is normally to stay motivated.

(Sorry I know this is a lot but it pertains to the journey I've been on after quitting art school not once but twice lmao)
~Instagram! Twitter!~

A Big Ole Quest Thread

Ping me, I'm easily distracted

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 21:20:15 )

yayyy more artists joining the site recently \o/

also art school is a scam

Donator — Dumbass Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 21:24:21 )
@Lilykin:
I come from a family of proper artists; half of them are self taught, the other has had education. All of them are...waaaaaaay better than me in what they do. I had a short taste of art education and did amazing compared to my peers, but ended up changing direction bc I didn't think a degree in art would help me get a job, since drawing was "just a hobby" in my mind. I ended up picking something considered "more useful" and ended u regretting it all those years later.

My siblings are the same as me. We can learn by trial and error, but we can't really break a subject into smaller parts, we're more like very inefficient sponges -- absorb everything and anything without structure, resulting in getting a flood of information but only skimming over the necessary basics, if that makes sense. It's difficult to explain I guess. We thrive best when we have structure and assignments give me a clear direction on what to focus on.

My younger sister stuck with her art education, and she developed into an amazing painter with that guidance. The structure of school helped a lot for her, and it would have helped me too if I didn't switch courses. (She hated art education and has threatened to quit more than once herself so I have an idea of how demanding it is. I probably would've hated doing it, but it would've developed my skills insanely fast.)

I've been drawing longer than my sister in years, but i don't even come close to well, anyone in my family. I didn't used to mind, but the ever-growing difference in skill has ended up sucking the fun out of it and making it a Frustration Fest 80% pf the time. I admit I'm having trouble with NOT comparing myself to the rest of my family at this point.

The perfection thing is relatable too, the "It doesn't have to be perfect" mindset hasn't fully taken root yet, but I'm trying to. I seem to be content to just finish a sketch and slap some base colors on it lately, so I guess that's "not perfect, but complete enough" in my mind.

You're right, quarantine isn't doing a lot of people's mental health a favor.

And don't apologize haha, any input is good input. Always good to see things from multiple perspectives.

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 21:35:43 )

Donator — Dumbass Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 21:44:37 )
@pachi:
My first tablet was a Wacom Bamboo Pen&Touch. I've had it for almost a decade and haven't upgraded from it yet haha, so that also makes it my most recent.
I keep being told to invest in an Intuos or Cintiq, or even one of Huion's tablet models but...
As long as this thing works I'm not gonna buy another. It serves me just fine. Plus I'm too broke to afford anything else lmao.

It's been discontinued fairly recently tho so I'll have to upgrade eventually since I won't be able to get the same model haha

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 21:47:55 )

recently there's been a lot of pretty good display tablets in the ~$500 usd range if you're going for one of those :o
    my friend got the huion kamvas and loves it, and i've heard good things about xp-pen too
    i keep watching review videos and going i want them but i don't need them--

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 21:48:59 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

I use Huion Giano.
Huion's largest non-display tablet.
but am planning to upgrade or downgrade to XP Pen's Star 06.
Because it's smaller.

The Huion tablet I have takes up all of the room with my desk. so I can barely fit it with my laptop and tablet
at same time lol.

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 21:50:46 )

yeahhh i actually bought an intuos pro S a few years ago because i wanted to downsize and have a wireless tablet
    but then i bought my surface pro so that poor thing is just collecting dust now hahah

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 21:52:32 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

current one is wireless but it charges for 7 hours and pen requires charge.
But XP Pen's star 06 is wireless but only requires minimum of 2 hours and no to charging the pen.
So it would work better for me. and has a lot more pen pressure to it.
Giano only has around 2k. But at the time thought that's all I needed.

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 21:54:46 )

~_~ i hate pens that need time to charge
    the 1 thing i miss with drawing on wacom is the pen!!! surface pen needs AAAA battery and has no grip

also i never really pay that much attn to the pen pressure lolll
    2k is enough for me
    can't even notice the difference

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 21:59:13 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

I notice it in my work since I do mostly linework.
and can't draw correctly without stabilizers in my lines.

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 22:03:45 )

i've been having this issues basically since i started drawing print size where i feel like i can't control the pen pressure tapering on my lines so now i like more even thickness lines ~_~...

also how high do you set your stabilizers? mine's around 3-5 on csp :o

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 22:05:10 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Mine has to be set up as high as 13 for every brush.

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 22:06:45 )

at a certain point the stabilizer will just lag while it corrects the line so i set it low lol
    but i also draw with really quick strokes--

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/15 22:08:55 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Mine doesn't lag being up so high. but if its below 13 the lines just don't look great.
at least for me.
My art very dependable on lines since I cannot color for the life of me yet lol.

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.