Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Holiday Traditions

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 03:41:39 )
@Saeyra: Ahhhhh! I love wearing warm clothes. I wish it got colder here. =( I own so many coats and jackets and scarves but only get to wear them a few weeks out of the year most years.

It's actually been a little chilly this year so I'm happy but every now and then we'll have a 60°F day.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 03:52:14 )

@Priestess of Pie: Haha well on the bright side you'll save money on the warm cups of chocolate if it doesn't get cold at your place!

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 03:56:46 )
@Saeyra: Nah I still drink it. XD

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 03:59:44 )

@Priestess of Pie: In my home I have tons of liters of milk every winter for all the hot coffees and chocolates I need to survive it. I guess you could consider that a Christmas tradition haha

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 04:02:31 )
@Saeyra: I'm the kind of person that keeps it stocked year round. XD If I have time I like to make it with milk, but when I'm in a hurry I just dump a pack of cocoa mix in my coffee.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 04:04:03 )

@Priestess of Pie: Haha yeess coffee with chocolate is liiiife!! +

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 04:37:56 )
Hmm my family doesn't have very many holiday-specific traditions. There's usually just a large party with tons of family members and friends, consists mostly of talking and eating food all day. There's one for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Independence Day, and other random days of the year...

I may be jumping the gun a bit because this is a few months from now (maybe? I haven't checked tbh), but the only holiday that my family has specific traditions for is Chinese New Year's. Eating dim sum and seeing lion dances is pretty standard, but my favorite tradition is the money dumplings. The older generation makes a large batch of dumplings and hides a dime in a select number of them. Each person gets 4 dumplings. If you eat one with a dime inside then you get $20. I won $60 last year heh

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 05:00:36 )
@Hachi: That's awesome! I've only had dim sum one time with some friends and I ate so much I thought I was going to die (but die happy). I also find the combining of food and money to be very intriguing.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 05:09:39 )

@Hachi: Oh my god Chinese New Yeeeaaar!! My favorite holiday!! (I can't recall any other chinese ones other than mooncake festival) I hate to admit it but I like it way better than christmas! Sorry everyoooone!! Good food, piles of money, fireworks, lion and dragon dances...ah it can't be beat.

Always ping me please.

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 05:18:12 )
@Priestess of Pie: tbh i'm always worried that i'm gonna choke on the coin one of these days
but the prospect of free money........... you do what you gotta do

I love dim sum it's so expensive though! best not to go out for it too often haha

@Saeyra: MOONCAKE FESTIVAL! but tbh the only thing we do to celebrate that is.... eat mooncake.... lotus seed paste is the best everyone can fight me
hmm the only other Chinese holiday my family celebrates is Tomb-sweeping Day but that's uhhh a different kind of celebration
New Year's is definitely the best. i think the giant heads on the lion costumes are really cute haha

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 05:20:47 )
@Bioshock: Ah yes, the screaming. Our family was kind of the same way when I was growing up in that most of the relatives would come over to our grandmonter's house AFTER we freaked out about our new toys. We then usually had a secret santa situation with relatives outside our immediate family.

The movie thing sounds fun, but I bet it's hard to stay awake sometimes after all the excitement and food. XD

@Hachi: It IS expensive. >.< I think I spent like $30 on just myself.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 05:23:50 )

@Priestess of Pie: huh.. that's.. cute..

Star's Memory Jar | Star's Quest |Star's Runway | Shadow Realm Market
Pls Mention as i wander

Avi art is best gift

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/20 04:10:50 )
Nothing special or unique, really. We all meet at my parents' house and open gifts, then eat and watch TV (usually there is a football game on), then we go home. lol

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/20 05:25:33 )
@Eldweena: You know, growing up I never cared about football. Well, I still don't, but I find the sound of football on in the house nostalgic and comforting, even if I'm not watching it myself.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.