Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Holiday Traditions

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/18 19:37:21 )
I love hearing about family traditions people have around the holidays. Tell me about yours!

Usually when I visit my family we end up playing board games. My brother is always a rules lawyer and my dad has to ask how to play every turn. My mom usually sits out and watches Hallmark movies, but when she does play she usually wins.

At one point when I was living too far from my family to visit and didn't have a ton of friends, I used to spend my Thanksgivings at the arcade/mini golf place. That was a fun time let me tell you. As much as I love board games and turkey, DDR and concessions is a pretty good replacement.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/18 19:56:45 )
You gotta @Mention me.

My girlfriend's tradition is to make a shit ton of lasagna.
Because that's what her mom made.
It's her favorite, and she only has it on christmas.

Join the Horde. We have bananas. 🍌
Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/18 19:58:49 )
@Rallaa: Oh man, that's rad as heck. Homemade lasagna is the best!

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/18 19:59:12 )
Some times we go out and see what is set up by the stores and businesses, but most years, especially recent years, we do not do much of anything.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/18 20:14:53 )
We started buying different cheeses and meats and doing a cheese board for our christmas day snacking.
we already do the giant dinner a month before in Thanksgiving so we might as well do something different for Christmas.
[54/150]

Graphic Artist // I love to draw avatars! // Cats are pretty great.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/18 22:13:56 )
@Little Crane: Aww that's too bad. It seems harder and harder to do the fun holiday things as we get older. =(

@Selaphi: That sounds great! I have a friend that's a cheese snob so he always brings cheese when we have parties.

@kiwi: Pajamas! Everyone can use an extra set. That's a great idea. I also like looking at lights but it also kind of stresses me out because of traffic lol.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/18 22:28:05 )
@Priestess of Pie: We do not focus on holidays much, unless we include Mother's love of going to every social event she can and forcing Father and me to come along. Neither he nor I like it, and by the time the Christmas and New Year social swirl is done, he and I are ready to sleep through the next several weeks.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/18 22:41:42 )
@Little Crane: Wow that does sound exhausting. It's hard to enjoy something when you're forced to do it constantly.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/18 22:48:00 )
@Priestess of Pie: Unfortunately, Mother is invigorated by it, and does not understand why Father and I are not.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/18 22:48:28 )
@Little Crane: Ah the classic struggle between extroverts and introverts.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/18 22:58:10 )
@Priestess of Pie: Indeed.
Item QuestHangoutSales

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/18 23:28:50 )

We don't have any traditions anymore, in fact nowadays I'm the only person who does anything for Christmas. But before my family gave up on the holiday all together. We used to pick a night and go cruising around our neighborhood looking at everyone's displays. We live way out in the middle of bum fuck nowhere, so it's really pretty to see lights in the midst of thick woods. Also we had a tradition of opening one present on Christmas eve. Mostly to tide my brother and I over.

Now though, I really want to start establishing my own Christmas/holiday traditions.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 02:43:21 )
@Another Movie Addict: I hope you make lots of fun memories with your new traditions. =3

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 02:51:18 )

oneof our holiday traditions in my family, was the putting up of the christmas tree, and the christmas stockings. we never had a fireplace so they where hung on the wall. next tot he tree. it was f un. admitedly as a kid mor eof the candy canes went into my mouth then ont he tree but still haha.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 02:55:36 )
@star2000shadow: Yeah my candy canes never made it on the tree either. XD

I remember as a kid we would put every ornament we owned on the tree. That thing was bursting. Now my mom just puts a few on the tree, but part of that is because of sneaky kitties.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 03:01:28 )

@Priestess of Pie: i don't know how mom did it but she managed to keep the cats off the tree, me I can't really decorate my own tree unless its up high because its so small the cats like sleeping 'under' the thing. its cute and frustrating to boot.

Star's Memory Jar | Star's Quest |Star's Runway | Shadow Realm Market
Pls Mention as i wander

Avi art is best gift

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 03:18:58 )
@star2000shadow: Ha! Cats gonna do what cats do. We actually left the tree up without ornaments for a while to make sure they weren't gonna climb up in it.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 03:23:49 )

@Priestess of Pie: Me and my husband visit our country's capital and go to the Christmas market. Its basically an open air market selling winter clothes, toys for kids, candies, warm alcohols and comfort food like fried donuts and sausages in buns. and Sometimes we get lucky and arrive on the night they let out the flying lanterns. Its very awesome to just sit yourself down somewhere and watch them float by.

We also tend to do the driving thing where we admire people's Christmas decorations in nearby neighborhoods.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 03:28:47 )
@Saeyra: Wow that sounds like lots of fun! I'd love to go to something like that with my friends.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 03:31:49 )

@Priestess of Pie: Yep definitely recommend! Dress warm! Me and my husband usually duck into cafes and such if we start to feel the cold and have a warm cup of chocolate.

Always ping me please.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.