Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk i know its selfish /rant

Voltie — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/9 08:31:56 )

but i really dislike people who are super xtra dramatic about everything in their life and do stuff just for attention and make mental illness look like something quirky or something like so freaking xtra.....

and esp when people who are actually mentally ill or are going thru a ruff time (like me, this is where the selfish part comes in) are sitting there keeping quiet and just trying to live and deal with their shit, while miss unique over here gets support and sympathy for things that aren't even really happening

yeah, i know im a mean judgmental person probably

but it's been a shit month and i am very tired of pretending i am ok and watching other people overreact to things and fake mental illness when i can barely keep it together in my day to day life

thank u thats all

Voltie — 666 Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/9 08:46:39 )

yeah from what i can see and from my experience as well...usually people who announce their mental illness, especially in social media, usually aren't as dire or aren't genuine most of the time.

in my experince when my depression gets the best of me, i rather deal with it myself or seek help from people who are closed to me. seeking attention from strangers regarding my mental illness... eeh. :/ doesn't do anything.

Donator — ILOVEPUGS Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/9 08:51:03 )
What kind of mental illness are you referring to? There is many different kinds, if they had aspergers or something I could see them being all extra about it. Apparently there is a girl who works in my kitchen that fakes physical illnesses for attention ;;;>.>

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/9 10:03:37 )
Working with kids, I've seen it all from mild to severe cases of untreated mental illness/trauma to kids faking so they can get any type of attention (a lot don't care if it's negative or positive). Tho even if the kid isn't really suicidal/depressed/etc, if they are crying out for help there may be another issue that they are trying to bring attention to but lack the resources, vocabulary and support to do so. This behavior is usually a symptom of a problem. I imagine some adults likely do this too. There's a problem but they don't know how to navigate it and cope so they behave a particular way.

Sometimes mental illness manifests differently for everyone and some folks are totally comfortable being forward with their struggles, triumphs, healing process, etc so I don't really think someone that talks about it often, makes posts about it, etc is faking it, being dramatic or just wants attention. Some people are quiet and private but some aren't. Everyone's journey with mental illness is different.

Also I don't see a problem with starting a convo with strangers regarding mental illness. Sometimes posting online and chatting with folks you'll never come face to face with is more comfortable than telling your best friends, in person, what is rattling around in your brain. Sometimes talking about it through text can be way easier. There's tons of anonymous services that folks use because they rather no one they know find out.
call me grem
they/them

Donator — ILOVEPUGS Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/9 11:33:40 )
nyreen:
Working with kids, I've seen it all from mild to severe cases of untreated mental illness/trauma to kids faking so they can get any type of attention (a lot don't care if it's negative or positive). Tho even if the kid isn't really suicidal/depressed/etc, if they are crying out for help there may be another issue that they are trying to bring attention to but lack the resources, vocabulary and support to do so. This behavior is usually a symptom of a problem. I imagine some adults likely do this too. There's a problem but they don't know how to navigate it and cope so they behave a particular way.

I do behavioral therapy with autistic kids and there literally does not exist a soapbox big enough to support the weight of my feelings on this. Just this. 100%.

eeee ee eeee smoke weed everyday
(legitimately googled if this was pg-13 appropriate because I try to be a respectful stoner. So like you're welcome teenagers)
Working on a new signature.
PS-I LOVE PUGS

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/9 12:39:40 )
We’ll carry on

While I get where you’re coming from, I’d also like to say:

I’m transgender and, before I even felt comfortable admitting it to myself, I had a huge depression and was borderline eating disorder.
Not a lot of people knew about it and, when they did, I preferred not to talk about it. I had a friend who was also depressed and we only told each other the high lights.

When there moments I was quiet and withdrawn, people would ask what was wrong. I coped by pretending I was happy and everything was alright, but from time to time I couldn’t pretend.
When I’d say I was feeling depressed (what basically meant more depressed than usual), some people would say I had no idea what I was talking about. I would be feeling down, not depressed.
Those reactions made me close up even more to the outside world.
If I would talk about it, it was online and/or to people I didn’t know in real life, since they were less likely to tell me “you’re not because you’re always happy.”

What I mean to say is, just because someone looks like they’re fine, doesn’t mean they actually are. You can never know what is actually going on in someone’s head until they tell you, and, even then, you might not know everything.

Donator — ghost Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/10 09:29:13 )

I have been diagnosed with a couple things that I don't generally just tell people about right off the bat because they are so misunderstood and people assume things about people who have them. But I absolutely do post on my social media when I'm having an exceptionally hard time and it's never for sympathy or reactions, though some may read it that way. I share so people who feel like I do, who are too scared, or ashamed, or closed off for any reason will know that they are not alone. Because I know how it feels to think that you're alone and like no one understands and that is such a terrifyingly empty feeling. I learned how to open up in group therapy when I was held in a psych ward. I was forced to learn how to share with people and be open and accept help in the form of hearing other peoples' stories and experiences. Now all I want to do with my life is help other people know that they matter and so do their feelings and we all deal with them differently.

I do understand what you mean but just because some people cope by staying silent doesn't mean everyone does. That person who seems like they're seeking attention may really need the support they're finding.

Voltie — they/them Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/10 09:45:55 )
Honestly, i agree that theres a limit to how much you can draw attention to your own issues before it becomes just attention for the sake of attention. I personally am not very outspoken about my issues so i have been in your position more than once.
tumblr.
literally always ping me

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/10 11:17:41 )
We’ll carry on

Since it’s a pretty serious topic and getting more serious, I’ll move it to the serious talk

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/19 18:17:42 )
devil:

yeah from what i can see and from my experience as well...usually people who announce their mental illness, especially in social media, usually aren't as dire or aren't genuine most of the time.

in my experince when my depression gets the best of me, i rather deal with it myself or seek help from people who are closed to me. seeking attention from strangers regarding my mental illness... eeh. :/ doesn't do anything.

I guess it depends on the kind of people you tend to see in your circles or something; I follow a few people, one of which has a chronic illness (Mitochondrial disease) and they sometimes talk about how it affects their life. I sometimes complain about my Aspergers/autism because I have a lot of issues with what I call The System. I'm super bitter about it and could probably write several pages worth of the stuff I've put up with and am sort of envious that some people have never had to deal with.

Voltie — 666 Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/20 17:38:52 )

@Sigma:
usually the people I am exposed to are the ones who casually complain to other people in social media about their depression and anxiety and when you tell them to seek professional help they ignore you and complain to someone else.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/20 18:32:13 )
Personally I'm the type that tries to deal with problems on my own, however I'm happy to see mental illness being brought up in casual conversation these days. It really helps to normalize it and bring attention to the fact that it's actually pretty common. For so long admitting you had any kind of problem was pretty taboo which led to lots of misinformation and stereotyping, as well as just plain preventing advancement of the mental health field as a whole.

While the new spread of information does occasionally cause some people to incorrectly self-diagnose, it also helps those actually suffering from a disorder to recognize it and seek the help they need.

Now if only the health industry would start actually trying to help people instead of trying to bleed them dry. =|

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/20 20:59:59 )
@devil: Oh, that type. The ones that aren't looking for a solution. Yeah, I can see why that'd be a problem.

Voltie — 666 Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/20 21:59:05 )

@Sigma:
My empathy is at all time low tbh
pls ping me.

[ DEVIL ] LISH // art auction & hangout.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/22 07:01:28 )

@ everyone

I know that some people genuinely have issues and that some of them do seek out help in this way bc they don't know any other way, etc, etc.
But,
she is one of those people who, as Devil said, seeks "help", but never listens, and then goes on to complain more. I don't know her situation or her actual mental illnesses, but it's something that aggravated me and so I ranted about it.

I wasn't intending to be an asshole or make it seem like I don't believe people have mental issues when they act like this.
Just that this particular person seems to be faking it.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.