Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Vibrance Day 2022: Spring Cleaning! Spring Cleaning: The Dust Wars Event FAQ (+ Raffle Hangout!)

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 18:44:58 )
@sunny: lol... I dunno how much I'm actually growing, tbh... or how well... or how much variety I have. I do have different things attempting to grow, but ... I dunno... it just seems hectic out there, tbh XD It's certainly not a "I'm going to feed the family" type of garden.
Okra. Okra is a weird vegetable. It grows well in the Southern U.S., and is popular here for that reason. Common ways to make it are frying it or cutting it up and boiling it. I'll probably boil it when I have enough.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 18:52:09 )
    @Wildfire: fried okra? I could certainly give that a go. Tbh I have never even seen it in stores here, I think I would have to go to a speciality market or something. I follow a few cooking YouTubers and they sometimes use it and I am always curious what it tastes like etc. Unfortunately it is not available in rural England :( lol.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 19:10:38 )
@sunny: some people pickle it too, apparently. Okra is... again... weird, as far as veggies go. Boiled, it tastes like.... I dunno... any other green veggie? Green beans, maybe? Or zucchini? ... but it can get kind of slimy, especially if it's boiled and overcooked, which can make it weird in terms of texture. The slimy factor is probably why people fry it, but the slimy aspect is also kinda creamy? ... I don't know. I like eating it, but it's really hard to describe. It's worth trying a couple times, imo.

Food is so strange sometimes. :3

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 19:14:14 )
    @Wildfire: slimy food isn’t usually my thing (thanks sensory issues) but I still want to try it. I suppose it’s the same as any veg, just don’t overcook it. I will definitely try it if I get the chance!
    Food can be so weird! But at least there’s variety; keeps life interesting.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 19:38:43 )
@sunny: Yeah, if it's really slimy it can be off-putting, but even then, the taste is good, imo. It's one of those foods that some folks (kids, especially) don't eat because of the texture. Still, it depends on the cooking (which is why I said you should try it a couple of times - it can make a world of difference!) and it's worth trying, imo.

What's your favorite veggie, Sunny?
And if you could grow anything, what would you grow?

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 19:51:51 )
    @Wildfire: my favourite veggie is broccoli by a long shot. I love the stuff!!! I can eat it raw, I love it so much. I would have broccoli with everything tbh.
    If I could grow anything it would be potatoes, so useful and versatile yet in my experience difficult to grow properly. The few times I’ve tried it’s ended in blight and rot :( I would also like to grow citrus but I have to accept that it will never work in Britain…. My orange tree hasn’t fruited in like 4 years and I don’t expect it to any time soon…
    Not very exciting answers hahah but truthful xD

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 20:10:33 )
@kiwi: True. Now if only some of these chores would stay done for more than 5 minutes... am I right? XD

@sunny: lol! <3 Broccoli is an amazing veggie - it's so healthy and good for you! And it's versatile too. We eat a lot of it around here, but I'm not a particular fan of it 100% raw, though. My favorite is just warmed through, so it's still a bit crunchy but not raw...

Potatoes... white or red or sweet? It might just be me, but it seems weird that you can't grow them well there. I have some sweet potatoes planted (and starting to grow) in the garden right now too... they're pretty easy, in my experience - toss a piece in the ground and then ignore it, other than watering it once in a while...

Citrus can be picky, from what I understand... even here, where the environment is pretty much "made" for growing the stuff!

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 20:25:41 )
    @Wildfire: but the crunchiness is the best part! Cold from the fridge and crunchy!!!! I do love it cooked too, it is the best part of a roast dinner imo.
    Just plain old white potatoes… I know right? This climate is perfect for them, but I have always had such rotten luck with them for some reason :( it would be cool to grow sweet potatoes too, I don’t eat them as often as I would like.
    Citrus is so picky :( if I’m ever in a decent climate, I’m growing limes and lemons. I have wanted a lime tree forever because I think they’re such pretty plants. But alas, British XD

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 20:34:18 )
@sunny: LOL! <3 If I'm looking for something cold and crunchy like that, I prefer celery or carrots to broccoli, tbh... but we're still allowed to have our own opinions, right? ;) Citrus is pretty much everywhere around here, as I'm sure you can imagine. It's quite common to have some kind of citrus on your property or at least in a pot somewhere. I'll probably add some kind of citrus to the garden at some point... like you, maybe lime (key lime?), or lemon :3 That would be fun, imo.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 20:37:24 )
@kiwi: lol... seriously! And dishes are such a pet peeve... they are never-ever-ending! Then toss in family who don't seem to understand the concept of an empty sink... *facepalm* ... One time, I was just about done loading the dishwasher (it was still open) and was washing the last of the plastic-ware... my husband comes up and puts a plate in the sink while I'm still standing there, dishwasher open and obviously dirty. Oh boy - he got an earful, let me tell you!! XD

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 20:48:05 )
    @Wildfire: lol valid, carrots make a lovely snack too. Can’t abide celery personally, it has such an overwhelming taste that kind of lingers….
    A lemon tree would be great. Lemonade on tap! Honestly I just love the smell of citrus plants. It’s really relaxing. I need to move to Florida!!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 20:54:05 )
@sunny: Yes, they do. For some reason though, I keep forgetting about them when I'm looking for a small snack. I really don't know why... *makes mental note to remember carrots* XD

Florida is pretty neat, I have to say. Unfortunately/fortunately, we're experiencing a mass influx of people from pretty much everywhere right now.... things are getting crowded!

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 20:56:29 )
    @Wildfire: they’re good for dipping in hummus too, extra delicious!!
    Oh I see, it must be a really popular place. Must be all that good weather etc XD I know I’d find the tropical climate super appealing. I doubt I will ever move abroad but it’s fun to dream and speculate.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 21:01:43 )
@sunny: hummus is another awesome thing that is quite versatile too - I like using it in sandwiches or as part of a salad (depending on the salad), but it definitely makes a great dip for things! :3

Yes, this semi-tropical climate is pretty appealing, imo. It can be tough in the middle of summer (July-August) but I'll take that over some of the other climate options available.

I never thought I'd end up in Florida either (& half across the country from where I grew up), but here I am... so you never know. Maybe you'll end up being my neighbor! XD

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 21:36:31 )
    @Wildfire: hummus is great, I love how versatile it is. It’s good with so many things.
    What happens in the middle of summer? Too hot? Or is it tropical storms?
    Maybe! I’ve lived around the uk and in Italy , but I always seem to keep coming back to where I grew up. I really love this particular area, though it has no redeeming qualities, I guess it’s just nostalgia lol. It’s nothing special but I feel at home here. Still, I would love to explore more of the world one day!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 21:51:50 )
@sunny: It gets insanely hot and humid... it's the peak of that "tropical" part of "semi-tropical climate" XD And hurricanes (but that's not really an issue, tbh). There's something about "home"... wherever that may be. I'm still semi-nostalgic for some of the areas I spent my younger days too, although, as you said - there's not much that's very redeeming about the area(s). For me, though, I think it's mostly the geographic changes between the U.S. northeast and the U.S. southeast, specifically Florida - it's worlds apart! I too would like to travel much more of the world, but don't know how likely that is, especially with how things are going lately. Where would you go? What would you like to see or visit first?

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 22:00:14 )
    @Wildfire: yeah I bet that heat is tough :( really hot weather is just a lot to deal with:( but fun the rest of the year!
    I would like to travel more within Europe. I did have a plan to go travelling Europe via train, but I had some health issues come up so I can’t do that just yet. Would also like to take the ferry from Spain to Morocco and see a bit of Africa. There are lots of places I’d like to go tbh. I am not a big fan of planes tho lol!!!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 22:05:52 )
@sunny: Oh, I'd love to see Spain and Morocco, and all of Europe! I'd also like to go to Thailand and the Philippines... but again, that's not likely to happen in the near future. Maybe in a few years. A train trip sounds like fun, though. I was contemplating doing one of those across parts of the U.S. at one point. Not sure why we didn't do it... maybe the kids were still too young or something - I don't remember - lol!

And yes, that heat is tough... and it's the combination of heat and humidity that is the real issue. A lot of times, the humidity is nearly 100%. Ugh.

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 22:20:51 )
    @Wildfire: aw you should do that train trip. Trains are such a cool way to travel, I love super long train journeys. I used to have a 5 hour train journey to university and it was so relaxing and chill. Definitely my favourite mode of transport.
    100% humidity??????? That’s insane. You’re basically underwater at that point. Aw man, I would not be able to stand that. Do people just hide indoors with their air cons???

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — He/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/7 23:22:27 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

Hello everybody :^D
How are ppl doing today??

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

♦ Gob | 23 | Taurus | Belgium ♦
Insta | Toyhouse | Gallery | Carrd

♦ My Art Shop ♦

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.