Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Unpacking...

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/27 22:52:14 )
Is SO much easier than packing when it comes to moving, in my opinion!

I've still got stuff to pack and clean at our old place, but it seems so much easier to unload at our new place lol.

Let's discuss moving!! Love it? Hate it? Tell me your moving stories!! Share some tips if you want!!

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/27 23:38:04 )

I think unpacking is easier, but for me, by the time I'm at the stage I'm so mentally done. I already did all the packing, moving utilitles, changing my address in a bajillion places, done moving day (or moving days) and now I also have to unpack? I'm just so drained. lolol

For tips I would say start packing way earlier than you think.
1.Don't wait until two weeks or less before your move. Start packing things you don't use a lot. Like books, extra clothes (and just keep enough for a week or so), extra things in your closet, and whatever else.

2. Having a moving day bag. This has everything you need for at night in your new place. PJ's, meds, tomorrow's clothes, toothbrush, body wash, shampoo etc. Whatever you need that night and the next morning. You don't want to go looking for that.

3. Be kind to yourself that you are spending money. Moving is expensive for many reasons. You have to take time off work, or you are paying movers, rental truck or even just the cost of boxes to move. It's ok if you eat out for a few nights. It's ok to pay your friends (if you have any that help) in drinks and pizza + a favor in the future. It's ok to pay for movers (and tip them) because you and your roommate or S/O can't do it alone.

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/28 00:17:37 )
@Totalanimefan: I feel you on being beat from the whole process lol. I still have to do the changing of address with everyone, and I hope I don't forget anyone important. xP

Those tips are all great, and I've done most if not all of them this time around. One thing I'm super grateful for is help from my family, whether it's the physical moving part, or help watching my son while we do what we need to. It's super hard getting anything done with an energetic toddler, and I don't envy those who didn't have that kind of help when moving!

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/28 01:32:58 )

@Aisukohi: if you do the USPS first that’s the most important one. The others you can remember later. Think utilities, credit card and bank as the most important.
It’s good that you have had help. It’s pretty much impossible to do alone. I’m sure having a young one doesn’t really make it easier.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/28 01:38:15 )

Packing of any kind is evil. 0/10
      Wish I was richer so I could just hire someone else to do it all. lmao

Donator — She Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 09:02:17 )
@aisukohi: well I moved 3 times this year so I'm over it 🤣🤣 last move wasn't so bad cus I only had everything my room to move to my next house and I started fresh .. sorry I don't have any moving tips I hate moving so it's always a mess lol

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 16:56:04 )

★ ★ ★
    i watch those japanese moving company videos and get super jealous lmao wish we had that kind of service here...............

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 21:02:10 )

@pachi: OMG Yes. Why don't we have those T_T

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/6 03:14:42 )
I'm sorry, I made this thread and then completely forgot about it, so without further ado...

@Totalanimefan: I thiiiink I got all the necessary address changes done. Only one I'm waiting to do is my son's school, but I'm waiting to hear back from them about who to give that information to. But yes, moving is such a task that I hope nobody ever has to do alone.

@Anarchist Beauty: If I didn't have trust issues, I'd pay someone to pack and unpack my things for me lol. But also, need more money for that. :P

@koneko: I'm glad your experience with moving this most recent time seemed overall a good one. ^^ There are some things I enjoyed packing over others, and getting them unpacked was a cinch. Like I left my clothes on their hangers and just kinda folded them into boxes, so all I had to do was take them out and hang them up again haha.

@LilMissKushy: Omg I can't imagine moving that much in such a short time. x-x I'm glad your last move wasn't so bad, and hope you get to stay there for a while!

@pachi: What is this Japanese moving service that you speak of? :o

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/6 03:18:25 )

@Aisukohi: Good to hear. It feels good to get it done. ^^

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/6 03:20:55 )
@Totalanimefan: Thanks lol. Hopefully I didn't miss anyone important, but if so, hopefully the address forwarding I did with USPS kicks that mail to my new address, and then I'll know to change it there too.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/6 03:25:19 )

@Aisukohi: Yeah with the forwarding you are good. ^^

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/6 17:13:09 )
Oh no, I feel like packing is easier than unpacking most of the times! You're not immediately looking or searching for a new spot to put everything, just sorting and putting everything in containers.But that might just be me

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/6 20:22:35 )
@WildFox: Makes sense to me! While I'm unpacking, I'm slowly finding more things to get rid of, so hooray for decluttering. xD
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.