Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat pickin' up hobbies...

Donator — They/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/1 22:37:36 )
...is hard when you can't focus on 'em.
i have all the free time in the world, but when i'm trying to hunker down and learn something new, it feels like there's too much goin' on in my head at all times to focus enough on tutorials and shit.

I like editing videos and i can figure out all the basic stuff on my own just fine, but i need to watch or read tutorials to learn how to do the cooler stuff. problem is, i just can't bring myself to sit thru a full video or i can't take in what i'm reading when i'm reading things. it really sucks because I am interested, but my brain is always working against me.

Has anybody tried to pick up any new hobbies lately? what's stopped you from doing it?

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/2 02:42:42 )

I don’t know if I picked up new hobbies but I have lots of them. Like avatar sites, watching anime, reading manga, studying urban planning, playing video games, biking, watching the NBA (fav team is the Miami Heat).

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/2 02:52:10 )
I did picked up a new hobby which is recording video games as I was playing, then editing it on a video editor program for last four months, I think? I stopped doing it when I realised I didn't enjoy it or I didn't like the way I edit. Besides that, I've also watched mostly consists of old cartoons and writing a short story in my free time.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/2 03:45:11 )

My hobby is picking up hobbies and I need to be stopped. That being said work has been too busy for me to really get into anything lately.

I feel you on those tutorials though. The videos are either super dry or the person is super annoying and it's difficult to sit through. I do a little better with written instructions but sometimes it's harder to understand certain processes when you can't actually see it happening. It's getting harder and harder to find written instructions though. Everyone and their mom is out there trying to be the next Youtube sensation.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/2 04:31:04 )

Silence, the White Mage is now speaking.

hm i don't think i've really picked up any new hobbies recently; i just have a bit more time to pursue the existing ones further in depth lately

I am not an actual NPC.

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/2 05:53:49 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

Absolutly! I think for me personally its bc i have authism and add. I did find out that if i doodle i can listen as i take notes of what i hear. However reading to learn something... Nah not gon happen lol.
I also tend to make the tutorials i watch go faster alot of the time lol.
Ive been trying new stuff, and usually what i do is have a quik look, try it and then learn how to do it properly. That way i know why i did XX didnt work ect. But also unless i get hyper focused i get distracted by everything

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

♦ Gob | 23 | Taurus | Belgium ♦
Insta | Toyhouse | Gallery | Carrd

♦ My Art Shop ♦

Donator — she, her Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/2 16:45:38 )

This may sound strange, but I need to take notes sometimes for me to fully focus on a subject I’m learning.

I recently got back into painting/sculpting but nothings catches my interest for long these days.

Foever in my heart
Spookums 11/25/18
Angus 6/23/19
Mom 6/29/19
Dad 11/29/2021

Donator — They/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/3 00:22:10 )
@Totalanimefan:
Oh nice! I've recently decided that streaming sounds fun and when i'm done a stream, i take the vod and chop it up for my shitty little youtube page.
I have fun with the editing but I'd like to do more with it lol.

In terms of hobbies all i really do these days is browse the internet, play viddy game and do art. I also kinda wanna learn to do little animations and what not but again, my focus is little to none so it's hard. i made a scribbly loading bar the other day, but that was as far as i got on my own lol.

@ChiffonOrange:
I make gameplay videos as well, ha ha. It's something I've wanted to do since I was in highschool but I've always been unable to play the games i wanted due to hardware limitations. now that i have a decent set up thanks to generous friends, i've started trying to get into a rhythm.

writing short stories sounds dope! what kind of stuff do you write? and also what kind of old cartoons do you watch?
I'd love to try and get into something to watch, but it's hard for me to get into any series even if i think it's cool.

@Priestess of Pie:
oof, sorry to hear about work, especially these days.

this is tru. it's funny about the written instruction thing because i'm a visual learner. i do need something physical in front of my eyeballs to understand fully, but i like having the written tutorials so i can just scroll thru everything and find the exact bit of information i need. the written stuff is usually organized that way anyway. it feels like a hassle trying to find the one single section you need out of a whole video.

if any of that made sense. >>

@Vixen:
o cool, like what?

@GoblinsAndTea:
yeah, i notice i'm better at focusing if i can keep my hands busy while i'm trying to listen. but aside from focus issues i'm also extremely impatient.
If i know the exact thing i want to get done then i only want info on that one thing, but usually i have to scrub through other information to find that one thing. So i do a lot of grumbling while i skim and fast forward lmao.

but yeah, there are things that i cannot tear away from and then there are things that even if i know they are important, i can't bring myself to do it no matter what. i just suffer with the anxiety and stress of it not being done.

@Lithium:
i could see why that'd work, but also yeah, i feel you on the interest thing.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/3 00:30:20 )

@Bou: They sound like good hobbies to have. I hope that your streams and YouTube videos are successful!

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — Moody Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/3 01:06:57 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

i tried picking up cooking but let's just say i quit that. :vanora_sweat:

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/3 01:37:57 )
@bou: Ah I see *nods* My laptop is just a regular laptop though as there are plently of games that require higher hardware or requirements lol

Hmmm..... I haven't thought about a genre yet (then again, I haven't write a decent plot either...), *thinking* Old cartoons (well mainly the 2000s as I don't watch 90s or 80s cartoons very often) such as Lilo and Stitch tv series, Ben 10 Ailen Force (a little), Totally Spies (pretty much a guilty pleasure but also part of my childhood since I watched it as a kid tbh ^^; ), Freefonix and others. And that's alright, I understand as everyone have different reasons. *nods*

Donator — Frog bless Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/3 02:01:52 )
@bou: It makes a lot of sense actually! I'm much the same way. I learn best by viewing and doing, but man videos just take so much out of me.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/3 02:14:31 )

I don't have the space for new hobbies. Can't really spread out and do any kind of art, crafting, etc when all you have is a tiny cluttered bedroom and can't use any other rooms in the house. And I definitely can't afford to take up hobbies that would require me to join any kind of club/group or anything like that, either. Not to mention my work schedule doesn't really allow for me to go to any sort of group meetings; tried to look into that for therapy purposes once, but it didn't work out. So I'm stuck with whatever I can do on the computer and that's... not much. Especially since I'm not really a tech person, so most computer-based things aside from drawing really don't interest me.

But lack of focus is a big issue, too; that's why I don't really write any more despite actually enjoying it and having the physical ability to do so. I've got too much going on, a noisy person taking up the rest of the house, and nobody to give me fresh ideas or input. So I just kinda gave up.

ALWAYS PING ME

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/3 04:36:55 )

Silence, the White Mage is now speaking.

@Bou: mostly art and some crafty stuff. less so crafty stuff these days since it's a pain to clean up every time i get all the materials out XD

I am not an actual NPC.

please @ me

Donator — They/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/3 22:20:05 )
@Totalanimefan:
lol me too, thank you

@MoodyB:
aw, how come? i dont do it often, but i actually enjoy cooking. its the dishes that keep me from doing it regularly.
i hate dishes.

@ChiffonOrange:
yeah, exactly.

aww, i loved lilo & stitch and totally spies as a kid, but looking back at totally spies today makes you realize how strange and sus it was LOL

@Priestess of Pie:
yeah, i have to be in a certain mood and headspace to sit thru them, so i just stockpile relevant tutorial vids in a playlist for another day usually lol

@Count Trashula:
im very sorry to hear you've had a difficult time with it. im fortunate that i live on my own and that a majority of my interests are in fact pc based so i dont have to worry about the money part of hobbies. i never even considered that.

i really hope that you're able to do something for yourself despite your situation.

@Vixen:
o, thats cool! do you post your art anywhere?
yeah, thats fair lol. i used to like baking but gave up because of the pile of dishes it tended to make. plus, ingredients 'spensive.

Voltie — Moody Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/3 22:24:14 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Bou: I failed 2 recipes and it really just made my body ache.
Just recently my fast metabolism feels...faster that i do not get full at all.
So i've just wanted to make better meals. But I haven't had good luck with recipes.

And since we got kicked off food stamps i can't really cook now.
Tho i really want an air fryer. it would really help me out and help my family out for cooking.

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/4 00:09:42 )
@bou: Lilo and Stitch is a cute show imo lol

And yeah, I used to love Totally Spies as a kid mainly because I adore their fashion sense and their gadgets (which is pretty impressive). And haha true, true *nods* I was very obvious about those.... certain scenes back then but now I realised how strange it is as you mentioned lol

Donator — They/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/4 03:21:12 )
@MoodyB:
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about the food stamps. I hope you guys will be okay for food in general, I'm in a bad way financially and with food myself so I understand how stressful that part can be. I'm also sorry about the metabolism issues.

An air fryer sounds like it'd be very convenient to own! I myself would really like a slow cooker, since I usually can't bring myself to make things very often and throwing stuff in a pot and letting it go while I just kind of putter around all day would be nice. one can only live off of pasta and sandwiches for so long.

@ChiffonOrange:
Oh yeah, they become terrifyingly obvious when you watch them these days lmao.
As a kid though, I was drawn in by the gadgets also and the action scenes. Little kid me thought it was super cool, and I remember thinking back then that it reminded me of Sonic Underground, which I missed then because I think it stopped airing after a little bit. I used obsessed with Sonic as a wee tot, ha.

@koneko:
Hey, nice! I applaud you for it because I learned very quickly that I am less nurturing than a desert.
I wasn't very good at keeping my plants healthy so I don't think I'll be attempting that ever again.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/4 03:31:07 )
@bou: Hahaha I agree with you xD

Yeah, I like how creative their gadgets are and how it felt different from the rest of the girl shows (sans the weird stuff/scenes lol); Oh I see! I lowkey remembered Sonic Underground, Sonic the Hedgehog tv series(I think Sonic fans refer it as SatAM :o ), Sonic X (I know it's anime but.... oh well haha) and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. The last Sonic cartoon I've watched was Sonic Boom tv series but that one came around 2014-ish and ended in 2017 I think?

Oh gawsh, thank you for reminding me how I also used to be obsessed with Sonic as a kid.... A lot lol, I still do.... Just not that borderline obsessive Hmmm..... Have you watched Winx Club before? (from season 1 to idk what season are they now currently lol) Just asking :o

Donator — They/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/4 21:45:29 )
@ChiffonOrange:

Yeah, I also still have a soft spot for Sonic these days lmao. So much so that I also watched the Sonic Boom series when it came out, it was actually pretty enjoyable lmao. Too bad the game wasn't the same way, ha.

I didn't like the Winx club, the show's whole art style and aesthetic put me off although I did used to think the witches looked cool. Everytime Winx club came on though I instantly changed the channel or did something else lmao.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.