Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat My husband's company gave him the ok

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 21:38:48 )

To allow us to move to the DC area! We currently live in the Bay Area which is the most expensive place in the US. It's also really, really, far away from mine and his family.
Plus we love the area and can't wait to be car free!

We aren't sure about when to move. The Pandemic makes it hard to know timing, plus we can't just pack up and leave right away anyway. We have to research moving, sell the house, and actually do the move and all that. But yay! I can't believe it's going to happen!

Maybe we will plan to move in Nov? It's hard to tell with the Pandemic...

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 21:42:27 )
I'm excited for you! I definitely understand that it is hard to plan right now. I've been hearing speculation about the housing market going down in price so perhaps waiting to buy is a good move, though that would also impact your sale so... consulting with someone who speaks economics more than me might be the move haha

When you say car-free, you guys will be close enough to work and stuff that you won't need a car, or is public transportation just that good in DC? >w> I wish we had good transport in my town lol
returned 6/7

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 21:50:55 )

Wow that is really great news.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 21:51:43 )

Yay! I know you guys have been looking forward to this for a while, and now it's finally happening! I'm so happy for you guys :)

Voltie — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 22:08:36 )
@Totalanimefan: Congratz! That's great to hear. I don't know if I could go car free tho lol

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 22:15:14 )

@sunny: Thanks <3 I love the new avatar. If you ever visit DC I'll show you around. XD
@vengeance: Thank you. I'm looking forward to being on the east coast again. And only about a 3 hour trip to my mom and a 2 hour flight to my dad. And about 7 hours to Martin's family. Much better than here.

@timeandtimor: Yeah super hard to plan XD I hope the US gets there shit together with the outbreaks. It's ridiculous.
Yeah housing markets are all over the place. The Bay Areas is still good, but if a lot of people will be allowed to work from anywhere it could cause it to crash.
In the DC region is it easy to live car free if you are in or near the city. Of course it costs more, but cars aren't free to have either. The buses are good, the Metro is good and it's easy to walk or bike places too.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 22:16:58 )

@Lilykin: I lived car free when I was living in England and it was a little tough to go to the store, but now you can just get them delivered to your house, so you can still buy in bulk that way, or go to the store once every few days. It's also easier with a bike. My husband never even learned how to drive until he came to the US, so he's ready to go car free again. Plus we can rent a car if we need one. Car free is pretty nice if you live in an area where you can do it.

Voltie — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 22:22:14 )
@Totalanimefan: We've never lived anywhere that didn't require a car. When we visited New York it really surprised me how much walking people did (and the subway was quite the experience for all us southerners lmao)
~Instagram! Twitter!~

A Big Ole Quest Thread

Ping me, I'm easily distracted

Voltie — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 22:22:40 )
"You've had too much of the digital love..."

OMG that's such good news!! I hope everything goes smoothly ^_^

"You want everything live, you want things you can touch."
I quit Voltra. Read my profile.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 22:32:54 )

@Lilykin: Yeah I'm from south Florida. Not really a walkable place XD
I remember when I first saw NYC. I couldn't believe how tall the buildings where and how everyone could walk everywhere and how many places there was to eat or hang out (or shop). I thought it was great. DC has a height limit, so the tallest buildings are about 12-14 stories. But it's still easy to walk places and there is a ton of stuff to do.
@0v7: Thank you very much <3 I've been hoping this could be a thing since about 2017 XD

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 22:37:19 )

That's great news! I do know some people that have moved during the pandemic, but a cross country move is quite a different thing. I hope it works out for you guys.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 22:42:13 )

@Totalanimefan: Flights from Nottingham to DC take about 11 hours so, uhh, that's a lot XD They are cheap though, when you consider how far it is. I would definitely love to visit though, from what you've said it sounds amazing. Maybe when COVID is over and we can actually plan vacations again!

&thanks, this avatar is actually another old one :)

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 22:59:59 )
@Totalanimefan: Congrats - I know you've been hoping to get back to this coast.
┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 23:02:36 )
@Totalanimefan: Congrats! I hope you guys have a smooth move and COVID-19 doesn't affect you too far out into the future. :)
Living in a city that doesn't require a car is a dream of mine someday.
art commission info | my etsy sticker shop

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 23:10:02 )

@Priestess of Pie: Yeah the Pandemic is really throwing a wrench into our plans. I really don't want COVID either, so I hope we can both stay safe. I'm looking up how to move across the country. I'm both excited and anxious XD
@sunny: Wow that's far, what airports would you be flying into?
@Wildfire: Yeah I've really missed the East Coast. I wonder what it will be like to live around a lot of Type A people again XD
@marupiter: Thank you so much <33 Keep dreaming. Maybe one day you can live in a car free, or car light type of place.

Donator — SIR Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 23:14:29 )
❄🌈Today is a fresh start, do the next best thing and check in on your friends! 🌈❄

@Totalanimefan: how wonderful! I've considered east coast living and well DC is just amazing. If you need help with selling a house etc I may be able to help steer you in the right direction. I have some great realtor friends. Huzzah!
🌈 Have you ever been touched so gently you had to cry or invited a stranger to come inside?
🌈

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 23:14:53 )

@Totalanimefan: Dulles International is the one that came up when I searched for flights. Is that the right one? And there's a brief stopover in Ireland which could be fun. Another flight had a stopover in Iceland which I think I would prefer.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 23:19:45 )

@Xanthan: What state do you live in right now?
@sunny: Yeah that's the right airport. Ooh a layover in Iceland sounds wonderful. If the layout was long you could go and explore Iceland for a few hours too.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 23:22:42 )

@Totalanimefan: I have always wanted to visit Iceland. Oh, I wish COVID wasn't happening, there's so many places I want to go.

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/19 23:23:34 )

@sunny: Iceland sounds soo pretty! It's cold but other than that I've heard it's really nice. (I haven't been)

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.