Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Anyone here ever made a comic series?

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/27 18:37:55 )

What are some good tips to keep motivated? Do you have a routine or a process to maintain the habit of working on your project long term?

I know one good tip I've heard was to not talk about the project too much before its done, or you'll never do it or quit early.
some psychological jazz I try to apply to anything I do lately. :vanora_xd:

Anyway, lets talk self discipline as an artist!

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/27 19:24:08 )

i'm working on my original comic right now and have worked on 3 doujinshi over the last couple of years--

i guess the desire to see the final complete product is what keeps me going. |D

also, i try to have a daily quota of what i want to complete by the end of the day each day, i.e. line x number of panels or pages, tone/colour, etc.

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/27 19:55:59 )

@pachi:
Yeah! I was thinking of you since I remembered your comic.
I think I struggle to finish things because once my jobs or classes pull my attention, its so hard for me to regain my focus. This stops me from even starting anything. So I don't know that nice "complete" feeling ;v;''

That's a good concept to follow though. I had a comic strip job for 3 months that I had to set weekly quotas for. It was very small compared to what I'm wanting to do now though

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/27 19:58:33 )

@Jolly: it really helps to have a few friends involved in the process to show them your progress and have them for support when you're struggling, i'm very grateful for my friends being there to help me with feedback and encouragement :3
    also i try to spend at least some time a day on it, even if it's just an hour. just doing a bit here and there each day will add up~

god i just got flashbacks to the hell internship i did drawing comic strips too, nearly forgot about that-- i also set quotas for that and mostly finished them alright... yep

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/27 20:03:44 )

@pachi:
Yeah I could imagine. Back when I was doing my comic strip, the contractor I had was so hard to get along with and demanded far more than he was paying for. But I wanted to continue anyway cause I didn't want another "failed project" on my hands. But having good friends to share it with at the time was extremely beneficial. I can happily say I never missed a deadline, and only stopped the project cause the contractor moved on to invest other projects instead.
I mean, I still have those friends, they're just caught up with their own jazz and don't have time to chat and share as much haha /adulting

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/27 20:20:15 )

@Jolly: lol that internshit ended up falling apart and the book was never completed but the demands were also unreasonable - it was almost 300 different comic strips (i relied so much on copy and pasting panels lmao)

ah yes that adult life is hard |D i'm grateful for my friends who initially helped me through my planning process 8 years ago, they're still around now and still giving me good feedback--

another thing i'd say is good is just logging your progress, i wrote it out in my planner and it definitely helped a lot.

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/27 20:29:28 )

@pachi:
omg, yeah that sounds like absolute hell! I probably wouldn't have kept up with my strips for a long time if he hadn't dropped the project early, cause he barely gave me time to work on them at all and I was going crazy ;; I was paid for 1 strip per week, but I was not paid for the required hours of unrelated activities the contractor had all of his associates do. Rather than having friends to hang out with, he'd force us all to go do things like play tennis, rock climb ect. They were fun but made our jobs harder lol cause we weren't at home. Working. And he'd throw a huge tantrum if someone said no. I was sick one day and told him I wouldn't dungeon in ffxiv with him for 348756238 hours (another unpaid requirement he forced on me). Kicked me out the group and dropped my strips a week or two later LOL

A planner is a great idea! I've been learning to do that lately with life in general. Sadly, my schedules are inconsistent week-to-week so its hard to stick with a routine. I'm sure a planner could help with that

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/27 21:03:57 )

@Jolly: dude that sounds 100000% unreasonable LOL... glad you got outta there @_@

yeahhh you should do it, even a digital one.

also there was someone that created a google spreadsheet that helps keep track of your progress with comics, i can dig it up of you're interested? it's a lot of checkboxes that updates a progress bar.

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/27 21:42:42 )

@pachi:
Haha right? Hearing myself say it, it definitely sounds like a major issue XD
He was a huge child, but he also gave me some fun life experiences that I otherwise never would have had. Among other good deeds, so it was forgivable in the end.

Oooh yeah, that would be nice to look at! I'm curious.
I have a hard time organizing things, but once they ARE organized, it helps my brain so much haha

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/27 21:55:16 )

@Jolly: haha gotta take the good in with the bad |D

here you go! I used this for my 2nd doujin but in the end it didn't really help me all that much since I was ok with tracking the progress internally, but filling it up also gives a sense of accomplishment so maybe it'll help you :3

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/27 22:01:04 )

@pachi:
Ohh I'll see if this helps, thank you! I am always guilty of skipping many steps to these projects >>
I at least have an outline to start with right now haha but I wasn't planning to do real scripting. I just storyboard and go for it unless I feel stumped, then I'll script a little part. maybe I shouldn't do it this way

Do you tend to work chapter-by-chapter or do you script/storyboard the entire thing before completing any of it?

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/28 01:05:24 )

@Jolly: it depends, if i have a specific scene/dialogue that's in my head, then i'll try to get that down asap but generally i have an outline of where to take the chapter... and then it's revisions and reworking things, sometimes even when things are lined which is not recommended |D

like for the current chapter WIP of my comic, i threw the first two parts online first but the next part needs to be posted all together because there is no clear cut point for it so i'm just working on the boards and script for that rn

and i have an overarching plot skeleton but nothing is really really fleshed out until i actually get to that point, which is kind of where v1 of my comic fell apart at ahaha

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/28 01:13:44 )

@pachi:
Oohhh makes sense. I've done that once with sketching exciting scene parts. I think it definitely keeps the inspiration flowing stronger that way. In fact, its those sketches that got me to dig up this story again and revamp it.

just talking about the processes is inspiring me <3 Maybe I'll just storyboard the first chapter. If its coherent enough as a quick sketch, might ask for voltra feedback before I dive in o/
but on the other hand, showing people might make me less likely to finish

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/28 01:18:23 )

@Jolly: yesss like i lined and coloured a panel from the next part already because i was excited to get that down asap :'3 looking at it gives me more motivation in a way as well.

you should go for it! :o im assuming you're doing it per page and not webcomic style?
    but also if you don't want to give too much away for your story, keep it to sharing it with a few people for feedback and you can share general updates like 'storyboarded 2 pages today, finished the dialogue' etc etc

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/28 01:32:14 )

@pachi:
Yesss <3 I have one comic I made it two chapters and it felt so good to do things like that. It's also where I drew one of my best hands to date

But with it being my first attempt at doing digital webcomics, I just went for a story plot without prior planning. No outline, no scripting and no storyboarding. I didn't understand how to do those things at the time so I tried NOT doing them, to then realize where they're really helpful. Idk my learning process is odd when I'm relying on myself :'D

I'll probably do pages. If I ever finished it, I'd like it to be in a format that I can easily print for myself. Like a trophy lol
Thats a good idea!

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/28 01:35:26 )

@Jolly: UWOOOO that's a beautiful hand!!!

haha it happens, sometimes the story will write itself but other times it's good to have a general outline to get a sense of where everything is gonna go... unless you make a slice of life or something :b

that part also tripped me up with v1 too-- i wanted to eventually print it and back then i wasn't very comfortable with drawing on huge canvases, but since then i've printed a good number of my own books so i'm tackling this with all that experience. i wanna print mine too... eventually. |D

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/28 01:41:17 )

@pachi:
Haha yeah, I've got heavy fantasy stories, so I gotta plan things out. Got a whole world to build *A*

I used to have trouble with big canvases too. Idk, somehow I just suddenly got over that, and now I struggle to draw on small canvases. So printing things is usually pretty easy for me, size-wise. I've had a few prints done of artwork I have, but the only book-style thing I've had printed was a zine I contributed in. THAT really bumped my motivation to make my comics happen. Feeling a book in my hands and seeing my own work is oddly satisfying.

I've always said I can't die until I at least print one volume of a story <3

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/28 01:44:02 )

lmao also just looked at my story's outline and brainstorming page I did a month ago.
Has all this important info and plot events
then randomly in the corner I scribbled "might kill him" about one character

is that sad I already planned it :vanora_xd:

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/28 01:51:01 )

@Jolly: oof same, i did sooo much worldbuilding and developing concepts and backstories for my characters too @u@ it was fun but now to put that all into motion.... why can't it draw itself 😂😂😂😂

i used to want to be pixel-perfect with all of my lines so i think that really held me back, but now if i draw something say on a 500x500 canvas i'm like bro that's tiiiiny haha

and i get it!!! it's such a good feeling to hold your own creation physically in your hands |D

pffft i planned out a few. shall i say, key points. very early on as well... though it'll take 4832940 chapters to get to them... screams

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/28 01:57:28 )

@pachi:
riiiiiiight.. I cut out some things cause I kinda want this story to have an end to it LOL
I was already so proud of myself for planning an end. I usually plan most of the way through stories and then like... "I'll figure the end out when I get there"
I feel like that's my old RP logic coming in lol

500x500 makes me scream. I usually have mine set at 11k x 11k and I'll take up most of the space. I rarely fill every inch of it but sometimes.. xD
I've also become a big fan of vector layers. Took me a while to use them, but they're real nice when resizing things!

Yeeeeaaaah I'll have to make sure I get far enough for this one. haha

*edit
made a thread to barf my old concept drawings and sketches in for inspiration
its working
I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.