Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I had to call in sick today :^(

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/25 16:59:11 )

I hate doing that, especially since it's a new job and I don't even have access to my time off requests and such yet, so I have no idea what I've just done to myself in terms of using up sick days. But I was barely able to crawl out of bed yesterday and only had one day off. I need time to recover if I'm gonna be back there hauling around boxes and handling people's food again tomorrow. UnU

Show/tell me things that will make me better, guys. Or regale me with your own tales of calling in sick.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/25 17:02:11 )

@Count Trashula: I hope that you feel better! Yeah I was in the same boat. It felt awful to do it until I got access to my sick days but I do hope you feel much better! <3

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/25 17:05:25 )

I always feel guilty for calling in, even though logically I know it's the right thing to do. I'm fortunate enough now to be able to work from home when necessary so I don't get people sick and also don't fall behind on my work.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/25 17:07:20 )

@Bonnie: aye, thanks. One thing I really hate about working in a grocery store: no way to avoid sick people.

@Priestess of Pie: thank you too UwU I really wish I could work at home tbh, 'cause my health is poor enough as it is. I just don't have the skills, space, equipment, or experience to do anything but retail. What do you do?

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/25 17:09:49 )

@Count Trashula: oh yeah that sounds bad. I mostly have an office job I work in a call center and it’s pretty chill but being sick means you create more work for the other people there which still feels bad

bloop

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/25 17:12:06 )

@count trashula: I have a lot of experience working in offices, but this is the first one that let me work from home. The company I work for does 3rd party HR stuff, and I specifically work in the benefits department. I have a lot of responsibilities but also a lot of freedom as long as my work gets done and my clients are happy. This company affords me a lot of personal freedom which is so refreshing. I definitely had to earn it with nearly a dozen micromanaging heck holes beforehand though.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — They/Them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/25 17:15:33 )
I hope you feel better soon!

I've only used my sick days as mental health days so far. I straight up almost called out this morning tho. Last night I was so violently sick to my stomach and I just wasn't having a good time. But I'm good now.

Anyway here is a picture of my cat. Hopefully his weird shape makes you feel better :D
His name is Sock

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/25 18:20:04 )

Feel better. I don’t have anything fun to share as I’m going to the dentist lol

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — They/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/25 19:35:47 )
I ended up calling in sick on monday because I had a really bad depression episode sunday night and just did not have the motivation to go to work.

(bit of back story for the next part, I am dating a coworker, and almost all the managers know)

So i texted my boyfriend, and was like "hey feeling super depressed, called out today, but feel free to come visit me on your lunch break"
when he texted me back, that he also called out because he was up all night trying to cheer me up.

I have today off naturally, so i havent been back to work yet. But I fear they think we called out to do "other things"
Non binary | Pansexual | Taken
02/06/20

Voltie — he/him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/25 20:17:57 )
i dont think itll help but i will say "fuck Capitalism" (pardon my French)
you shouldnt have to feel shitty over calling out sick, but the way the system is structured it produces this intense anxiety about your allotted sick days and the state of your job security. it's just a really crappy situation and i hateithateithateit

though i guess ranting about it wont get much done on its own :(
sorry you had to feel like crap on top of the crap you were already dealing with

Donator — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/25 20:34:42 )
I hate calling in sick because I care about my coworkers, and the person we have in charge of scheduling
does NOT account for coverage. If one person calls out, the entire day is thrown off. Everybody has to carry the weight of one missing person, and I hate being that person they're burdened by. But when I'm sick, I'm not going to spread it.

My newest assistant manager is pretty understanding about callouts, but he won't be taken advantage of. If you hardly ever call out or
leave early, he's more likely to let an absence slide without reporting it. If you call out all the time, he's very no nonsense about it.

Sick time is REALLY slow to accumulate here. Like, maybe two hours every month? So I never have sick time coverage when I need it.

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/27 19:06:32 )

OK y'all sorry for disappearing but I just wanna say I have read and appreciate your replies very much. Thanks to everyone who posted!

And yeah, the way illness is handled with work is absolutely ridiculous. I lost my last job because I got sick and had no other options. I was out of work for 6 months and there was nothing I could do but wait until I felt well enough to apply for another, similar job. Healthcare, sick leave, disability, all that fun stuff is a long rant for another day, I guess.

@Adamantium: I love him and he definitely helped me feel better faster.

ALWAYS PING ME

Donator — They/Them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/27 19:36:46 )
All I need is a fraction of your happy heart.

@count trashula: I'M SO GLAD he loves you too

All I need is You.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.