Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk I found out my aunt is having major surgery

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/17 08:54:14 )

I don’t know where to start...
So, I didn’t find out through my aunt. I found out through her daughter’s husband. He texted us with the info cause he thought that we should know and they are worried and hope that it goes well. But he said that she didn’t want a lot of people to know or make a big deal out of it.
My aunt is in her 70’s and having a major surgery to remove a small tumor in her stomach. (So basically she has cancer? I don’t know if it’s benign?) It’s at the end of the month.

I’m feeling a lot of things besides worried for her health too. She has never been open about a lot of things. She is nice but hard to get close to. I would say that her and I get along really well and she never said one time that she thinks of me like a daughter. Which made me happy. She lives in FL still and I’m in CA. So every time I go to FL I see her but we don’t chat on the regular. Just updates sometimes like during the holidays. Like in Valentine’s Day she texted my sister and I Happy Valentine’s Day and I replied.

I’m upset that she didn’t want to tell me, but at the same time I can understand that she doesn’t want a lot of people to know and call her up because that’s a lot on her mentally. She has anxiety but is from a time where you weren’t really allowed to show it.
I’m worried about the surgery cause of her age too. Plus I don’t live near her anymore and the last time I was in FL to see her was 2018. What if that ends up being the last time I saw her? I am going to FL in late April, so I hope I will be able to see her and she is recovering.

Anyway, I’m sorry that my story about this is all over the place. I felt like I didn’t know the logically order to tell you guys the info. I just feel like I can’t talk to anyone in real life about this. I feel like I can’t really tell my aunt that I know, but I can’t talk to my sister about it either. She doesn’t know and I normally talk to her about family shit.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/17 19:52:56 )

I had trouble sleeping last night. Whenever I woke up I told myself there are some things I can’t control and that’s ok. I will just control what I can.
And I said that to myself every time and I just repeated it over and over until I was asleep again.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/17 20:13:10 )

I'm sorry, I know it's hard. Even when you use logic, the anxiety doesn't always listen. Distraction can help until you have more information. I'll be hoping for positive news.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/17 21:09:47 )

@Priestess of Pie: Thank you so much. Your reply means the world to me. I will let you guys know more when I know more. Thanks for listening to me and replying.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/17 22:05:12 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Totalanimefan: Oof, I hope your aunt’s surgery goes ok, and I’m sorry she didn’t tell you. If she has anxiety, she prolly didn’t want to worry you, or she might just have her hands full and hasn’t realized that she has to tell certain people yet (plus maybe the severity of the surgery hasn’t hit her yet).
You could try to send her a message asking her how she is, and you don’t have to let her know that you know, but just reaching out when she’s about to go through something like that might make her open up and tell you about it herself.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/17 22:23:17 )

@Tsundererra: Thank you so much. I think that you are exactly right about this.
I’ll try reaching out to her soon. I don’t want it to be right after I spoke with my cousin. ^^;

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/18 01:14:53 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Totalanimefan: Haha, I’m the same way and will wait a bit so it doesn’t look like it’s connected. Luckily you have a couple more weeks before the surgery. I hope your phone call goes well when you do decide to do it.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/18 08:55:25 )

@Tsundererra: Thank you <3

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/18 15:49:44 )

@Totalanimefan: I am sorry that it’s happened like that. I am wishing for her to have a swift recovery! Family is hard.

My grandmother is terminally ill and when I get updates that she’s goes into the hospital or that something is wrong I get sick to my stomach, so I know how it feels that your anxious about what’s going to happen.

It doesn’t get easier, I find. I am just so happy that at least I know there have been items when I didn’t and it broke my heart.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/18 20:18:53 )

@Bonnie: Thank you. It kinda makes me happy to hear that I'm not the only one where the stress goes right to my gut. It's the worst.
I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma. I lost my last grandparent 10 years ago when I was still in high school.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/18 20:44:47 )

@Totalanimefan: yeah, it does, but this is what we have to deal with. It’s really hard sometimes to being able to relate to people helps. Makes me feel like I’m not alone. It’s always awkward to talk to my family about it so I’m glad I am able to share on here.

I’m also sorry for your loss.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/18 22:44:00 )

@Bonnie: yeah avatar communities are the best for when you need someone to talk to about tough things.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/18 22:51:54 )

@Totalanimefan: yes they are!

bloop

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/20 07:58:11 )

So I talked to my therapist about it and she said that it wasn’t fair on me to have to keep this all pent up. I should be able to talk to my sister about this.
She said that I can also try to be there for my aunt and let my aunt know that I want to do this. I want to be there for her and her emotions and mental state matter. She doesn’t have to shove down those feelings.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.