Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk The DRAFT (US)

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 05:34:03 )
The Draft or Selective Service System is something that hasn't been enacted since the 70's, but 18 year old males in the U.S. still have to sign up- just in case

That totally blew my mind!
maybe I've been living under a rock

When I think of the Draft in the U.S., I think of something that was a long, long time ago and all of the stories of people either being excited or trying to run from it.

My husband is 30 and he showed me his card as proof of his registration. I asked him how he knew he was supposed to sign up and he can't remember- He just said "you have to.. we all did."

I think back to all of my male classmates that I graduated with and they all had to sign up too, but I had no idea. They didn't talk about it. How did they know they had to do it? WHERE did they go to do it?

My husband spoke about it as if it were completely normal, but this requirement for 18 year olds happened right under my nose and I had no idea that my male counterparts were signing up. link to who has to register

My next questions were- how do they make men sign up? what's forcing them to do so?

I did some research and it turns out that young men would be ineligible for fafsa, grants and other aid for college if they weren't signed up and could be potentially fined up to $250,000/Prison time.

Here is the official site
Beware- it loaded extreeeeeeeeemely slow for me and pages failed multiple times before they would open.

US Volties- Did you guys know about all of this?
US Male Volties in particular- How did you know you had to register? Who told you? Where did you do it?

Other Volties- What are the laws in your country?
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 08:44:04 )

I had heard about it before, but always forget until right before war is a possibility and the statuses and memes come out
    but I definitely would not sign up for this, not only do I think this country has done terrible things I do not stand for, I also hate wars and would not participate in any way other than standing up for innocent civilians on either side/s

@ me tho. | Hangout. | OCs. | Avatars.
looking to buy: ARIES

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 09:56:14 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

I've heard about it
Draft being 18 but voting 21 was a large source of complaints by those between the two ages
"So we can die because you said so but we can't vote you in or out?" was the gist of it
So, voting was dropped
But supposedly now a lot of 18 minimum things are now bumping up to 21 so people are going to get the draft age moved up as well
May cause voting age to move up too, but we'll see how that goes

Put ya guns awn!

questShop

Donator — he/him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 11:20:35 )
I knew about it but I don’t ever remember learning about it. I’m a trans guy and still legally female so it wasn’t something I ever had to think about, but when my younger brother turned 18 and my mom told him to register he freaked out and I don’t blame him. I think he still has a year left so if war breaks out before his next birthday he could theoretically be drafted and that’s just insane to me. We don’t talk much anymore but tbh I’d fight a cop to keep him out of the military if needed.

If I had been born male I wouldn’t have registered anyway. It’s dystopian, nationalist, and plain garbage imo. I’m like hella anarchist and don’t wanna come off too harsh but like.......... screw that? It’s so outdated, the thought of forcing people into military service. I know other countries have required service time for teens or young adults, but I’m not interesred I’m serving a country that doesn’t value me or my ilk lmao

Donator — he/him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 11:21:52 )
kiwi:

in high school we had a consumer economics class and one of the projects that the male students had to do was fill out a mock draft form so they'd know how to do it when they turned 18.

This especially is so wild to me, the thought of having kids fill out mock draft forms like it’s no big deal.

See if my partner and I could have kids we wouldn’t send them to school anyway because we disagree with a lot of the standards in the public school system right now. We’d homeschool instead.
ping me for best results

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 12:13:20 )

yeah it is pretty much bullshit. i had to sign up for it in order to apply for FAFSA. for our non-US friends, that is financial aid for school. i knew it was a thing but it came up so unexpectedly, i didn't really know how to feel about it, so just had to bite the bullet with that one and hope for the best lol. totally forgot about it until now

banner by Ruby ❤️

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 22:16:55 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

My reaction is similar to Mousy’s. Like... they told us during an assembly that boys could still get drafted, but I didn’t know they had to fill out a form or else they could be fined and denied student aid. It just feels like such an archaic thing to do.
The sad thing is, there is a chance of the draft being enforced if America goes to war with Iran and they need more peeps. ): There’s a reason Bush and Obama avoided it, and that’s because of high casualties on both sides.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 23:12:37 )
yeah I had no clue this was a thing

wtf

Ping me!

Hangout

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 23:16:26 )

When I was in High school they always had army visitors visit the classes and talk about the army and training. They made it seem really awesome cool and would help students sign up and guide them. I use to want to join so badly because my home was not that nice. I never ended up signing up because of my shyness to get near one of them. After I graduated High school they kept calling my home to try and make a meeting about my interest in the army. I just ignored it and continued my education in Community college. I'm happy I never sign up.

°<°art by Keturah🖤🦖🖤

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.