Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Winter Solstice 2019 Vontell's Memory

Npc — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 02:45:58 )

Taking a deep sip of his steaming coffee, Vontell let out a sigh of content. He was currently bundled up in his study, looking over his latest edits to his manuscript. However, it wasn’t long until his concentration was broken.

“Ah! Leo, my boy, is there something the matter?”

His pet capybara set a book at his feet before staring up at him, unblinking. This caused Vontell to let out a warm chuckle, gently patting his furry friend on the top of the head before moving to lift up the book.

“I suppose you are right, I could use a break. Ah-” His thoughts trailed off as he finally caught a glimpse of the well worn cover of the book in his hand. A smile softly spread across his face, “A fascinating choice…”

Vontell always loved this time of year. Although the outside was chilly and dark, inside the home was so full of warmth and crackling light from the artificial fire. Of course their home would not need the original, archaic heat source. He not only lived in the realm with the most advanced technology, but his father was a top scientist in all of Electric. Of course, this meant he would not be home, even during the Solstice season.

This didn’t seem to bother the young boy as he laid on his belly, flipping through a thick novel. He let out a chuckle as he engrossed himself with epic tales of adventuring knights and dangerous beasts locked in battle.

“Haven’t you read that story enough?” A teasing voice called out, causing Vontell to look back and beam up at his mother. She stood in the doorway, hands behind her back as she tilted her head, “How many times is this now? Three?”

“Four!” Vontell replied proudly, a grin on his face as he hopped up to greet his mother. He wrapped his arms around her waist in a loving hug as he gazed up at her, “It’s one of my favourites, and I’ve already read through the others!”

He gestured back towards the pile of carefully discarded books on the floor, indicating how he had spent his day. His mother laughed warmly as she returned his hug with one arm, “You burn through those books quicker than I can stock them…” She laughed gently, “Luckily, I came prepared…”

“Oh?” Vontell’s eyes lit up curiously as he hopped back to gaze up at her, “How so?”

His mother’s hand moved from behind her back, presenting a hardcover book to him, “You’re a very bright boy, Vontell. You already read at an advanced level. Even though you’re still so young, I think you’re mature enough to handle this one…”

Taking the book from her hands, Vontell read over its cover, “War and Peace… Is it good?”

“Mhm, it’s one of my favourites. It wasn’t easy to get my hands on, so take special care of it!” She smiled playfully as she gently ruffled his curly hair, “We can discuss it after you finish, if you’d like.”

Vontell paused to consider it, before shaking his head vigorously. His mother’s eyes widened in surprise, before smiling as she heard his response, “We should read it together!”

Letting out a warm chuckle, Vontell’s mother reached out to take his hand, “I think you’re right, we should…”

“War and Peace…” Vontell ran his fingers over the aged cover, before glancing down to his capybara with a smile, “A novel by Leo Tolstoy. Did you happen to know this is one of my favourites?”

Leo grunted as he calmly moved to curl up by Vontell’s feet. Cracking open the book, Vontell’s eyes scanned over the familiar words and smiled.

“How about we read it together?”

art by Saeyra

Npc — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 02:46:13 )
Summary
Vontell spends a cozy day in reading a book to Leo.
The book Leo chooses is a gift from Vontell's past.
He's warmly reminded of his mother.

Today's Game... LITERARY CROSSWORD!
Each clue refers to a classic piece of literature.
Try to find the title that fits in the corresponding blank space!
(note: it is not against the rules to help each other out!)

You'll have 24 hours to try the game, before the thread is locked and the next thread starts.

Prize
Everyone who attempts to solve at least one of the puzzles will receive the EI Vontell's Memory
Additional copies can be bought in Joyful Jamboree.

Npc — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 02:46:29 )
Literary Crossword

ACROSS
3 bloodsucking count
6 two drifters struggle to survive the great depression
10 a southern lawyer battles racial injustice
12 stranded schoolboys create their own society
15 a story of female friendship during the Civil War
16 the search of power leads to murder and guilt
17 livestock overthrow their owner and start their own society
18 a satirical tale of adventure in strange lands
20 a delusional Spanish noble decides to become a knight
21 a portrait of 1920s decadence

DOWN
1 a small man goes on a big journey
2 an elusive white whale
3 he sold his soul for eternal youth and beauty
4 an orphaned boy strives to become a gentleman
5 a French tale of revenge
7 he created a monster from the dead
8 all for one, and one for all
9 star-crossed lovers
11 teenage angst and rebellion
13 buccaneers and buried gold
14 a woman is cruelly punished and shamed in Puritan times
19 epic poem about the Trojan War

Npc — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 03:16:31 )

[edit: apologies, there was an error in the crossword graphic. it's been fixed and updated!]

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 03:26:37 )
Normally I would LOVE this challenge, but my brain is so entirely not in to this right now...
So, I filled in those that came immediately to mind in my currently overburdened brain and am trying not to boggle my brain over the others, although they're all right at the tip of my tongue...

#5 down: the book is correct, but wrongly entered

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 03:44:22 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

Oh man, for the first time being in AP English, drama club, and having an English degree has paid off. I’m psyched that there was one book by my boy Oscar Wilde in here. :’3
Not sure if there are gonna be people who are too tired for this or just don’t know the answers, feel free to copy from mine.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Donator — he/him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 03:52:24 )

man, i knew i should’ve read more in highschool
anyway, little vontell is precious uwu

Shop | Art Thread | used to be cowboy belphie, buggaboy, kairosama | forum bunny by kouenli

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 03:56:07 )

2 down - moby dick
3 down dorien grey
3 across dracula
6 acoss of mice and men
7 down frankenstein
8 down three musketeers
9 down romeo and juliet
13 down treasure island
10 across o kill a mockingbird

Currently recovering from large amounts of PTSD. I'll post when I can, please ping for replies. Things are very difficult for me right now.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 03:56:37 )

ok don't laugh at me bc I literally sparknoted 99% of the books in high school
and I guessed the other half from a list of literary classics ALFDKJF

Donator — They/Them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 04:10:34 )

Honestly I Have Not Fully Read Through A Single One Of These. I Just Could Not Get Into Them. orz
Also Some Of These I Only Know The Title Because Ive Seen Tumblr Posts About Them ^^;

Voltie — they/he/it Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 04:10:40 )
this one's pretty hard! i couldn't get 4 or 5 :U

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 04:17:30 )
This was challenging, but fun

Across
3 Dracula
6 Of Mice And Men
10 To Kill A Mockingbird
12 Lord Of The Flies
15 Little Women
16 Macbeth
17 Animal Farm
18 Gulliver’s Travels
20 Don Quixote
21 Great Gatsby

Down
1 The Hobbit
2 Moby Dick
3 Dorian Gray
4 Great Expectations
5 Count Of Monte Cristo
7 Frankenstein
8 Three Musketeers
9 Romeo And Juliet
11 Catcher In The Rye
13 Treasure Island
14 Scarlet Letter
19 Iliad

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 04:44:02 )
That's one intense crossword puzzle. Dunno if I'll be able to get to it..

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 05:30:28 )

I love this idea!

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — pancake Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 16:12:26 )
I tried.
Across:
3. Dracula
12. Lord of the Flies
17. Animal Farm
18. Gulliver's Travels
Down:
2. Moby Dick
7. Frankenstein
8. Three Musketeers
9. Romeo and Juliet
14. Scarlett Letter
19. Illiad

Donator — He Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 16:55:22 )

Ahh i need to start doing this xD

Voltie — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 20:43:34 )

★~~Questing~~★

Npc — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/5 03:38:52 )

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.