Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Topics of interest

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 00:25:35 )
So pleasantries only go so far. They get redundant and boring after a while and there's nothing really being discussed... so my question to you (ALL of you) is...

What do you like to talk about?

... casual things? - your animals, the weather, ...
... serious issues? - health? political or cultural concerns?
... hobbies - crafts? manga? crochet? painting? drawing? music?
... games and entertainment - video games? board games? movies? cosplays?
... real life things - relationships, family
... helpful or learning type things - cooking/recipes? other languages?
... WHAT???

What stops you from engaging in discussion in the forums beyond "Hi, how are you? How many volts do you have?"??? Why?

I want to know.....

Donator — PomePome Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 00:42:37 )
Ohhh hard question. Everything can be intristing to discuss about. But if i poof its most of the Time iam getting distrectet. Or dont find the right Forums anymore...
~Pls Ping me~
Nothing fancy to see here!!!

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 01:05:13 )
@Wildfire:

I love what you listed most:
hobbies and learning <3
And serious things when needed XD or when someone is in need of that kind of advice/help.
PS: hi <3
±EDIT: also I try and always go back and answer the person who mentions me. But sometimes the threads get lost from so much posting.

°<°art by KeturahπŸ–€πŸ¦–πŸ–€

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 03:23:19 )

In the past I have even googled forum topics to see what I could post about.

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 03:58:41 )

All the things you listed are good topics. I hate mindless "how r u/good/good/how r u" but I'll talk about anything as long as it interests me or I have something relevant to say.

Donator — Troglodyte Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 04:37:15 )

Hobbies, games and entertainment mostly for myself.
Occasionally the irl topic but that only goes so far for me. Which is ironic because I think most of my own posts pertain to irl things.
Mostly because I don't know what else to talk about.

I'm not a very engaging individual.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 05:13:09 )
β˜…
yeah not a fan of the "how are you" chatter, which is why I avoid hangout threads. I also don't like talking about the weather or what you just ate...

tbh threads like these with an actual topic are nice, but I always just drop my two cents and then leave. I don't really have the energy to have actual conversation with people, haha...
the only thing that's easy to post a lot about is nonsense ADLFKFJ

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 13:50:32 )
I am a shitposter by nature. I like light-hearted, jabby and quick conversations. On a deeper level I like talking about music and horror movies especially. Games I can usually get into as well.

But yeah, I'm not great at maintaining lots of serious discussion. I like existential memes and cringeposting.

Donator — he/him Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 14:03:40 )

i like talking about my cats, shows i like, games, that sort of thing
HOWEVER a lot of the times i’m pretty sarcastic and i shitpost a TON, so while i can talk about serious things, like my anxiety or transgender issues, most of time i’ll just insert a meme and be like ‘it me’

as for the lighthearted topics, i could talk about miraculous all day and explain the whole plot point, so i think people get annoyed at me for that

also horror related things, i love learning about things like skin walkers and black eyed children uwu

Shop | Art Thread | used to be cowboy belphie, buggaboy, kairosama | forum bunny by kouenli

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 15:53:38 )
@Miss Sandman:
@inatlaka:
@Uncledaddy:
Yes, lots of things can be interesting to discuss, IMO. What things do you find yourself responding to, though?

@Totalanimefan: How'd googling topics turn out for you? Did you try starting threads with any of the results?

@Vermii: I haven't chatted with you very much so far, but I'm sure you're plenty enough of an engaging individual. You can at least type in complete sentences! LOL!

@Hachi: Why don't you come back to threads and continue the conversation?

@Lobsel Vith: So you don't mind interacting, but you don't want to get too deep or too involved. Gotcha.

@buggaboy: that's an interesting assortment of things to chat about.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 15:58:13 )
For me, I can talk about serious things, and sometimes I like doing that, but often, it gets to the point of just being too much to keep up with. This, because I frequently get distracted away from the computer/site for RL things and by the time I get back, my train of thought is lost, or the conversation has evolved so much that it has changed significantly. For these reasons, I think I end up chatting about slightly more superficial topics. Usually.

I like having real conversations with people, though again, I'm often distracted or multitasking so I can be inattentive (it's probably the best word for it).

And yes, it's difficult trying to keep up with a conversation you're @mentioned in when the mention was 5 pages back.

But, I'm seeing a lot of diversity in topics of interest being posted here... So where are the threads? The conversations?

Also... when are you most likely online/on-site?

Donator — Troglodyte Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 17:18:55 )

@Wildfire:
Is that what it takes to be engaging? Complete sentences? Lmao.

Yeah, I try to be more active around here than I actually am. I usually have short burst posting bouts and then I crawl back into my hole and lurk forever.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 17:32:06 )
@Wildfire: I will have serious discussions if they pique my interest enough. I love discussing relationships.

That being said, it's often hard to have those kinds of talks in places like this, as people go afk for long periods of time and I get out of the groove. I like saving more serious talk for like discord/voice chat, that way I'm being actively engaged.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 19:12:23 )

@Wildfire: yeah it did. I would pick one or two from what I found. And post a topic with that subject.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 20:28:36 )
@Vermii: LOL. Well, the complete sentences help. How's that? ... it's ... a start??

@Lobsel Vith: Good point(s)!

So maybe another question is - what kinds of discussions are best suited for a web forum? ... and which types of discussions are better suited for other things - discord, etc.?

@Totalanimefan: And how'd that work? Did people talk about the chosen topic?

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 20:46:17 )
Oh... and at least for me, for example, Jolly's "ethical dilemmas" thread ( @Jolly: ) sounds interesting, but I don't have the time or patience right now to stop the various other things I'm doing to think about the topic and formulate an answer -it's just a major deviation from where my head currently is (& where I need to keep it)- ... but the thread could be a really interesting discussion!!
β”€β–’β”œ Hangout with me! β”€β–’β”œ

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 20:51:44 )

@Wildfire: The easiest for me are questions that can be answered by pretty much anyone, like "What kind of ____ do you like best" or "what do you think about X situation". I like to come into an open discussion, leave my personal experiences, and let anyone who shares or has interest in those experiences say so for themselves. Likewise, if I see someone else's post that I can relate to or have a question about, I will respond to that and hopefully initiate a conversation within the topic. The more specific a thread's topic is, the less likely I am to respond because the less likely it will be to apply to me. My personal interests don't seem to align with those of most people I come across, so ymmv on that one.

But to be more specific, topics that usually catch my interest (in no particular order) are:
-gender and/or sexuality
-original characters
-writing and/or role-playing
-healthy/natural living
-animals (reptiles, invertebrates, cats, and pigs are my favorites)
-plants and mushrooms
-experiences with religion or religious groups/people
-experiences working in retail
-horror
-halloween
-magic
-food
-and pretty much any experience or interest that I find I can relate to, as there are many

My online presence varies a lot, as my work and other real-life commitments may change from day to day. Usually, though, I'm only online at night when no one else seems to be on, or very briefly in the morning when I don't really have time to contribute and just want to browse. And I can never seem to keep up a conversation for more than a few responses before either losing track of it or running out of meaningful things to say... but I try to be active when and where I can.

AKA Count Trashula

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/13 23:07:55 )
β˜…
@Wildfire: It's just my personality, conversations are tiring AKSJAL

I'm more likely to reply if I have something of substance to say but sometimes I just run out of ideas. It's also hard to keep talking if the other person makes it a very one-sided conversation.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/14 00:29:02 )

@Wildfire: yeah. I mean like all light topics in the chit chat forum it lived for a little while and then died but it was a good time.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/14 03:53:24 )
@wildfire: What stops you from engaging in discussion in the forums beyond "Hi, how are you? How many volts do you have?"??? Why?"

We'll just put this one into some bullet points. XD

For me, I have to be in a particular mood to carry on a conversation and post. If I'm posting, I've probably had a good day at work that wasn't too draining. Those days are few and far between right now and when I get home, my brain is mush. I've had my "serious brain" on all day and I just want to be silly. (Same thing with television- I get enough drama at work. Give me the cartoons pls.)
I'm really good at "drive-by posting" where I go in and throw out my opinion and either forget to come back or don't have the mental energy to come back and respond.

Also, I've got a 3 year old and toddlers are extremely demanding. If I'm online, I'm probably also playing with blocks, reading a thousand picture books, cooking/eating dinner, watching cartoons, and making sure the shenanigans we are getting into aren't things that will get us into trouble. With all of that going on plus the noise levels of everything around, I'll often go into sensory overload and will have to eliminate some stimuli. The computer is the first to go and then the tv.

And finally- My anxiety tells me that the things I have to say aren't relevant and no one really cares to hear about them. It tells me that the conversation has already moved on and that it would be pointless to continue it. It tells me that I'm talking too much about myself and not asking enough questions about my online friends.

After a long day at work and with my mushy brain, I enjoy posting on light-hearted things that don't require much thought- and that's only if I have the mental energy to carry on a conversation.
-entertainment discussions
-hobbies
-crafting
-how was your day-ing
-look at my pet
-etc.

this is the largest post i've made in months. just staring at a wall of text is enough to drain the energy I have left. XD
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.