Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Entertainment Unpopular Opinions: Anime Edition

Voltie — Weeb Trash Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/28 08:03:56 )
『o why rebuke you him that loves you so...

I did not see a thread like this already in the forum so I figured why not keep it spicy and create one myself. The name of the game, as you've read, is unpopular opinions in regards specifically to anime. Is there an anime/character/canonical relationship that is popular for some reason that really grinds your gears? Something that didn't sit right when you finished you the series. Here is the place to respectfully hash that out.
Also if what you post could be considered a spoiler, please hide under the tag like so:
Spoilerspoilerspoiler

I'll start with: Darling in the Franxx should have stopped at episode 15.

...lay breath so bitter on your bitter foe 』

Voltie — Weeb Trash Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/28 08:05:02 )

Also, Sword Art Online is just .//hack in a really bad lace front.

Feel free to @ me.

Voltie — Weeb Trash Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/28 08:11:05 )

Hazer:
[size=12]
The moment hamon was killed off and replaced with 'stands' the show turned to garbage, imo.

O O F I felt that in my chest.
[/size]

Voltie — Weeb Trash Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/28 08:15:02 )

@Hazer: I am actually just getting to the part with the Pillar Men. I had to trudge through the first few episodes because I found the dialogue so irritating. However I also was watching the dub so that may have a lot to do with it...I have yet to dislike any of the OST except the very first opening song.

Voltie — Weeb Trash Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/28 08:25:53 )

@Hazer: This is my first foray into Jojo's. I'm now on Episode 15 of Season 1 right now but frankly the lore is purely what is getting me through it. Similar to Devilman Crybaby. The world building is interesting enough that as strange or disconcerting anything in the periphery is, you're still drawn to finishing it.

Voltie — Weeb Trash Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/28 08:30:47 )

@Hazer: I ended up hatewatching Devilman Crybaby.
I couldn't finish it though, I ragequit about 3 episodes from the end and read the synopsis on Wikipedia.
But my appreciation for it grew as I read other people's analysis' of the meaning and just the gratuitous violence and explicitness. It was definitely like nothing I'd ever seen before and I think I could have lived my entire life well without seeing it.
Very dark.

Voltie — Weeb Trash Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/28 08:58:47 )

@Hazer: I started watching it only to never make it past like episode 4. I need to push through.
You know what anime was surprisingly dark?
Children of the Whales.

The relationship between Kaworu and Shinji is as valid as the one between Shinji and Asuka, if not more because Kaworu represents a pure, sacrificial sort idealized love and opting to mute the nuanced understanding of like/love in the Netflix dub does not make Shinji any more hetero

Voltie — Weeb Trash Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/28 09:10:04 )

@Hazer: There are some parts that are incredibly hard to stomach. Which based on the synopsis, kind of comes with the territory.

Also same lmao But I remember watching that as a young impressionable child spawn and thinking like....I want someone to look at me the way Kaworu looks at Shinji. Although maybe with less.....whatever......going on in the bath.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/28 10:46:55 )
I completely agree with Hazer’s Jojo opinion. I feel like I enjoyed part 1 and 2 more because of it.
The ending where Ichigo ends up with Boobyhime took me by surprise... like, I thought him and Rukia were canon but LOL NOPE. Still salty.

Can’t remember which one, but I remember Shinji and Kaworu we’re controlling an eva together, and Kaworu was like YO, I HAVE A BAD FEELING, LET’S STOP. And Shinji, fresh after learning that he fucked up the world before was like LOL NAH SON. Long story short, Shinji doesn’t listen and Kaworu explodes into a bloody mess. FUCKING SHINJI, LEARN TO FUCKING LISTEN.

Miroku became useless once Naraku introduced his little poisonous bugs. xD He went from being OP in battles to useless.

Everything that lead up to the ending just... omg. I felt like everything was for nothing, and I was so confused about the angel titties...

I didn’t catch this when I was watching it as a kid, but holy shit, Chibiusa had the hot hots for her daddy. I like how her future mama was ok with not only knowing this, but watching her adult version kiss him. S:

Gohan went from the strongest, most badass, and adorable kiddo to an awkward and useless adult. This was too real for me.

The male protagonist always looks the same kind of boring, and has pretty much the same personality. Watching one is like watching all of them simultaneously. The female characters are all cookie cut from stereotypes and the boob physics is super exaggerated. I always wonder if they’re made by a group of sad, overworked, virgin Japanese men.

This is fun, I’ll write more as more animes come to mind. xD

Voltie — Weeb Trash Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/28 18:27:09 )

@Tsundererra: Honestly I agree with your entire post, ESPECIALLY THE SAILOR MOON ONE JESUS. Also, while I did not like Bleach as an anime, I think you unpopular opinion is extremely valid.

What struck me the most in Devilman Crybaby was not even the ending but
How pointless it felt to get attached to any of the characters, the nihilism was so stronk which only aids to the creators original intention but I did not come to this party to feel personally attacked. You stomach all of the violence and seccsual content just to be with what I found to be an absolutely hollow ending. It ruined my life for like a week XD;

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/28 20:27:46 )
@gossamer: Omg, watching the new Sailor Moon Crystal series and reading the manga turned my world upside down.
But even with that splash of incest thrown in, I really like Chibiusa’s character growth. She became one of my favorites when she grows out of her daddy crush and mommy issues.

Omg, you’re so spot on! I think even more than the end, was the theme of nihilism. I was so distracted by the sexual stuff, the silly weird stuff, and the small feeling of hope some chars gave, that I completely missed it until that ending happened. And I think the first red flag that shit was going to be all for nothing was when his love interest stood up for him and ended up dead and having her decapitated head flaunted at him...

Voltie — Weeb Trash Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/28 20:36:20 )

@Tsundererra: I absolutely need to read the manga for sailor moon. I have been saying this for years and still have not ;;

It hurt so badly, and especially with that other girl who is constantly eclipsed by her runner friend with the same name, you think she will have the happy ending she deserves with that rapper guy--nope. Dead. Mercilessly and almost senselessly. I get that everyone dies and it does not matter how good or bad of a person you are, the outcome is still the same. But man did that ish sting.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/28 20:47:59 )
@gossamer: It is a long read, so I don’t blame you for putting it off. I think I only started because my high school library randomly had them all, up until the sailor starlight arc.
Omg, don’t even remind me of her! I felt so bad for her. ): And the love interest of the protagonist wasn’t even half as good a person as she was... just when she feels like she’s good enough for herself, NOPE.
Even the shitty angel BFF was pointless.i had the small hope that maybe he would snap out and learn that he’s an ass and that destroying the world is bad. But noooooope. It was entertaining to watch, but man; it makes you feel like you wasted all that time watching it...

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Voltie — Weeb Trash Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/28 20:59:42 )

@Tsundererra: tbh this has gotten me in my feels.

My unpopular anime opinion of the day:

Your Lie in April is not as good as people are pushing it to be.
I did not find Kaori likeable or sympathetic and despite knowing the bad end, I could not force myself to finish watching it. I found her personality off putting and couldn't care enough about her to feel bad.

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/28 21:31:53 )
oh boy... ;3c

(there's not actually any spoilers, I just wanted to condense my post asldfkjasdkl)

Part 2 is definitely my favorite, but I don't think it was the hamon. Just my bias towards Joseph as a protagonist HAHA
I'm not a big fan of Part 3 even tho it seems to be the overall fan favorite, although there are some standout episodes that I really like. I think it's because oof /cough Jotaro's kinda boring

Your Name is Makoto Shinkai's only good film SORRY but the other ones are all just visuals over actual substance. like ok they're pretty but that's... about it...

I'm entirely uninterested in watching the new season of One Punch Man bc the first season was kinda boring AFLDFKJF just the same joke played over and over again, it got tiring... (the animation was top tier tho) Mob Psycho is definitely ONE's better work, fight me

lights a fire My Hero Academia is real generic and some of the fights boil down to... being kinda lackluster? but it's still a good show, won't deny that.

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/28 21:49:36 )
Usagi's personality is super gross to me.
She's whiny and annoying, and her entire character makes me want to throw an axe at the TV.
Also, the inners are boring.
Outers for LIFE.
That said, people keeping showing me stuff for this series, but I only have a passive interest in it, and only certain characters.
Does this make me a really bad magical boi? XD;;;

Yuki is an abusive prick. #toorealforme
I don't care how damaged he is, Shuichi deserves better than to be treated that way.
I liked Gravitation EX where he was teased to be with Ryuichi instead.
PIKA PIKA NO DAAA~~!! XD

I don't like Akiho.
We're being tubefed her character, forced to find her likable.
They gave her literally only a pile of good traits, a lot of vague past, and not much else.
It seems disingenuous.
The ones like her tend to end up causing the end of the world.

I keep getting teased for not liking series like these.
I tried.
all of them.
I just DON'T. XD
Fullmetal Alchemist was a rare exception. :p

Oh my love, I know you are my candyman
And oh my love, let us fly to bounty land~~

Közi (“Kouji.”)
He/him

Voltie — Weeb Trash Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/30 01:11:56 )

@hachi: Ya know, I can't disagree with a single thing you posted LOL maybe these aren't such unpopular opinions ;o

@kozi: retweet on the Sailor Moon--my nostalgia at watching it as a child definitely clouded my judgement.

Also I feel you so hard about Bleach, Naruto etc. If I hadn't have started watching Naruto when I was actually 12 and had bad taste, I doubt I would have liked it nearly so much.

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/1 06:42:08 )
@gossamer: looks like I have to come up with smth more controversial then hmmmmm

Voltie — Weeb Trash Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 02:47:57 )

@Hachi: all the controversy ;o

Voltie — Weeb Trash Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/2 02:52:34 )

The relationship between Kaneki and Touka felt ridiculously forced to me, similar to Orihime and Ichigo.

As much as I love this anime, Mai was easily my least favorite character and her presence, although integral to the plot, was both distracting and annoying. :c like in the interest of showing character development, she's still kind of a tsundere-ish bother by the end of the season

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.