Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Devastating banana disease may have reached Latin America

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 21:18:29 )

In a long-feared development, an extremely damaging banana disease has apparently reached Latin America. Late last week, the Colombian Agricultural Institute (ICA) in Bogotá confirmed that four plantations in northern Colombia have been quarantined because of suspected infection with Fusarium wilt tropical race 4 (TR4), a fungus that kills plants by clogging their vascular system. Already widespread in Asia, the disease can wipe out entire plantations.

Rest of the article

This is really bad

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 21:30:33 )

More and more plant diseases spread around the world. I hate when a nice tree or patch of forest is just dead next year due to disease.
Yeah it is bad, do you know what individuals can do about it tho? Any specific charities dealing with these kind of problems?

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 21:36:34 )

Unfortunaly we cannot do a lot about it. The current banana was created after the previous one died out from the same disease. They current one is resistent against the disease. Unfortunaly the disease then created a new version of itself. A resistent one. So this banana could die out as well. They are now working on a genetic manipulated banana.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 21:39:04 )

@vengeance: I meant in a more general sense for plant disease. What do you feel about genetic manipulation of plants and especially plants that we eat?

Donator — A.I. Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 21:39:31 )
Holy cow, I don't want to lose bananas D: hopefully they quarantined the affected plantations soon enough and are able to keep the fungus from spreading.

Though iirc there's a seed ark chilling somewhere, so even if it does die out, there's a chance we can bring bananas back after the fungus has "starved". :C

please ping me if you need my attention! || be excellent to each other ♥
[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 21:43:08 )

Relevant
AKA Count Trashula

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 21:47:29 )

@Monorea: genetic manipulated plants can come with health risks. Most countries have also banned those plants and foods. There needs to be way more research on them.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 21:51:10 )

@Uncledaddy: There is also a Dutch version of this XD

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 21:57:05 )

@Vii: There are other banana varieties that arent as convenient for the industry that are resistant so you wont loose bananas they might just get more expensive becuase they blemish easier or taste a bit different from what people are used to.

@vengeance: Most things have an effect on health in some way but more research is always good since that leads to better knowledge.

@Uncledaddy: And a Swedish version too

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/19 04:18:37 )
Aw poop. ): I’m making banana bread tomorrow too... better make all the banana bread while I still can.

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/19 04:23:02 )

I’ve been worried about this for a while. It really sucks that it is spreading even more.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/19 10:23:21 )
◄ { This is saddening. :( This is going to hurt pretty much everyone. The plants of course, but also consumers, farmers and their 'employees'.

I am supportive of new banana crops though. Cavendish's tend to make me ill and gassy, so if there's a banana developed that tastes good and doesn't make me sick to my stomach, then I'm all for it. } ►
Hiatus until further notice.

Donator — Trashboat Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/19 17:53:33 )
praying for the bananas. I love bananas. 🍌 ❤️
Shop | Hangout | Quest

Donator — Roleplayer Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/20 04:10:12 )
I eat a banana before I go to sleep because it keeps my hunger at bay. If I lose bananas, I have no clue what I am going to eat.
This is my topic in the Exchange. Please go buy my items. I have old crate items and orb items for sale.

https://www.voltra.us/forum/view_topic/7218/#666694

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.