Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Welcome Committee Just joined a few days ago...

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/17 19:41:46 )
Finally got my avatar decent enough to make my first post~ so hello everyone!

I used to frequent Gaia during the golden years (2003-2009). I quit when they got too money hungry and sold their soul. Even though I’m salty at what Gaia became, I miss the sense of community there. Voltra kinda reminds me of how Gaia was in the beginning so I have high hopes.

Btw, sorry if my sentence structures are weird. I spent like 4 years teaching English overseas in a country that’s notoriously bad at English. ;~;

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/17 19:46:48 )
    @Tsundererra: welcome to Voltra :) we do have a nice community here.

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/17 20:17:07 )

@Tsundererra: hey welcome. You are looking good!
Do you happen to be teaching English in Japan?

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/17 20:17:37 )

Also I loved Gaia during that time too. Since then I’ve moved on to other sites. Voltra is my new home.

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/17 20:58:04 )

@SirLionelNigelConrad: Haha Japanese is so different from English that you start forgetting what English even sounds like.

Donator — he/him Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/17 21:29:43 )
Kai says...

@Tsundererra: welcome to voltra! the community here is strong and i hope u will love it~
also ur sentence structure is great!

Thank you for listening!

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/17 21:30:08 )
@sunny: Thank you! The community here seems very friendly and positive from what I’ve seen in the forums. Very happy to have found this site.

@Hazer: Thank you! All the items here are really cute. Feel like I got my money’s worth from the few bayou orbs I got. Bless this site for not being stingy like Gaia. I love your avatar as well. Reminds me of a digital angel of death.

@SirLionelNigelConrad: Thank you, fellow English speaker, for all of your tips. I have enjoyed saving that blimp on the daily!

@Totalanimefan: Thank you, but omgggg your avatar is very cute!!! :o I’m glad there’s someone else on here who’s experienced the OG Gaia. :’)
And yes! I taught in Japan. Have you taught in Japan as well? Or is my weird Engrish too noticeable? You’re right about forgetting what English sounds like or how to properly English when you’re surrounded by Japanese 24/7. Also not a fan of how they misuse whatever English they do incorporate to everyday life, like “Let’s (noun/adjective)!” instead of let’s + verb.

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/17 21:40:40 )

@SirLionelNigelConrad: Japanese was my major in college. The sounds are easy in Japanese, but the grammar is completely different. Plus Kanji.... haha

@Tsundererra: I just guessed because I studied Japanese and I know how it can be hard to switch between the two! I haven't taught in Japanese though. I did go to Japan on vacation last year. It was awesome. OG Gaia was just too good to last I guess. I used to want to be online all the time. Even during class! I miss Vending, and hanging out with friends! T_T

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/17 22:00:13 )
@KairoSama: Thanks! I’m already loving the community here. And you’re so sweet, thank you. I’ve been so insecure since coming back to the US. My friends asked me why I was talking like William Shatner the first month I was back. ToT

@SirLionelNigelConrad: A lot of my unmotivated students said the same thing, and they’re not wrong. Most Japanese people don’t travel outside their country, and if they do, they go to places where there is some language support like Korea, Hawaii, or Guam. But even though my English went to shit, my Japanese skills leveled up, so at least I benefited somehow.
And English is a difficult language with weird rules. I got stumped trying to answer some grammar questions many times over there, and I was an English major.

@Totalanimefan: I feel like you understand the Japanese language struggles as well. :’)
Vacationing and even studying abroad in Japan is muuuuch better than living there for work, at least from what I experienced. Where in Japan did you visit?
And I was the same! I remember I would sneak onto Gaia on my school computers. It’s a good thing smartphones weren’t a thing during that time, or I would’ve gotten in so much trouble. I miss the art arena and guilds. Voltra has so much potential, I just hope they don’t turn to the dark side like Gaia.

Donator — he/him Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/17 22:05:31 )
Kai says...

@Tsundererra: i’m glad u like it! and ur english is great, u wouldn’t think u has been in a different country!

Thank you for listening!

Shop | Art Thread | used to be cowboy belphie, buggaboy, kairosama | forum bunny by kouenli

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/17 22:24:48 )

@Tsundererra: I do understand your pain! haha
Yeah I don't think that I would like to live there. I don't know if I could live my life always being the outsider even among friends. I visited Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Shizuoka! I got a JR rail pass that let me ride the Shinkansen for a flat rate. I LOVE the Shinkansen and I would give anything to have the Shinkansen in the US! What country are you from?
Yes I would totally sneak onto Gaia anywhere I cool. In math class I would be like ok so I only need this much to buy this item I'm questing for, etc, etc. If I had a cell phone I just would have never left Gaia haha
This site won't be like that for sure! The staff here really cares.

Donator — UWU/ Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/17 22:51:21 )
heya, welcome to voltra!!!

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/17 22:52:43 )
@Totalanimefan: Yeeeeep, always seen as a foreigner first and foremost. And depending on who you interact with, it can have perks or unfair downsides. I went in knowing this, but man... it gets tiring to deal with. It felt dehumanizing at times too.
I’m from the US too (east coast). Oh man, you went to all the good big cities! I lived close to Kyoto and Osaka, so those were my stomping grounds, but I loved the serenity of Shizuoka. Btw, if you visit again and are in Tokyo, go to Yokohama in neighboring Kanazawa.
(Omg I posted too soon. My pet parrot kept biting at the screen! My b!)
I miss traveling by Shinkansen, but the times I’ve traveled by train here in America makes me feel like it would be a really bad idea. We need to learn to maintain the railways we have to safety standards before we can have a bullet train, or else it can end badly. I miss the convenient store riceballs and the fancy toilets.
From what I’ve seen from the members and the people working on the site, I feel optimistic. I don’t think I’ve seen any trolling happening on here either. Everyone seems decent. What a concept that would’ve been on Gaia.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/17 23:02:44 )
@Kairu: Thank you! I am loving your rainbow coat and wings.

Donator — UWU/ Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/17 23:05:14 )
@Tsundererra: yay ty : D

youre cool blue!!! very pretty!
月の兎 ☆★☆ 鹿の光
カイル • WISHLIST

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/17 23:52:10 )

@Tsundererra: Yeah I couldn't handle it. I had the light version of that when I lived in a small city in the north of England for two years. I got tired of being the American, and always being judged for shit I didn't do. Like people wouldn't even say hi to me at University. I live in Cali now, but I'm from the East Coast. I'm from Florida. From CA it's closer to Japan, but I miss my family and friends on the east coast.
I wanted to go to Yokohama, but there was just no time. I did all of that in 10 days, so it was really packed tight haha

Yeah America is not good with keeping up with the infarstucure here. I wish they were because from just an economy perspective, we are missing out on a lot of money. Although I heard that there are upgrading the Amtrak lines between Boston and DC. They are going to make them faster and more reliable.
I bought a Japanese style bidet right after I got back from Japan. It's amazing!!

Yeah there aren't really any trolls. Some people shitpost but I think that's pretty funny.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/18 00:04:04 )
You only joined a few days ago?! Your avatar is so nice and I love the colour-scheme. I never would have guessed! ^.^

Come chill at The Treehouse or visit my Item Trading Thread!
[Pixels by Ghost & DragonicKittens!]

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/18 01:44:38 )
@Totalanimefan: I’m sorry you had to experience that! It’s just disheartening to find out people see you as your nationality first, and treat you based on their feelings/opinions towards the country and not you as a person. I experienced that when I was visiting my family in Paris. Had someone call me “stupid American” when I was trying to practice my French. It’s the main reason I switched to Japanese. :viosad:
Oh wow, Florida to Cali is such a jump! Like instead of hurricanes, you have droughts now. Both are awesome places to live regardless, and they have Disney parks and Universal Studios. If America ever does build a bullet train, it would make traveling to see your fam easier and more affordable for sure. But oof, I haven’t seen any improvements on Amtrak yet, but I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
There’s just so much to do in Japan in general, so kudos to you for being able to hit the 3 big areas within 10 days. If you ever want ideas on where to visit for your next trip, I’d be happy to throw some suggestions. Also, I’m jealous you got a bidet! I’ve been eyeing some online, but I haven’t taken the plunge yet.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/18 01:49:46 )
@Dragonus Luciferius: I legit dropped $25 in donations yesterday to look like this. Before that I didn’t even have shoes and half my titty pixels were hanging out. My avatar looked like a hobo. I’m glad you like the coloring. I worked with whatever items I got from that bayou plasma orb, and the blue color was what they all had in common.

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/18 02:09:04 )

@Tsundererra: Yeah it's pretty crappy when people do that. It's like they forget that we are just all human. Yeah I moved here because of my husband's job. Also he studied Japanese too. We met at University.
Did you live in the northeast? Which state are you from?
Thank you! I did a lot of research to see what I could pack into that trip! I will ask you for suggestions when I go next. Which maybe will be in 2021? Next year is going to be too expensive with the Olympics.

Fyi your looks are worth the $25. Money well spent haha

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.