Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk What makes a Park or Public Space good?

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/22 20:36:15 )

It’s not enough to just have a patch of green grass, there needs to be different uses of a park or public space. But what makes it a place you want to go to to relax or unwind?
Does it need athletic fields? Gardens? Lots of Trees? Hiking Trail? What about concert space or a jungle gym for young ones or maybe a water feature for them to run though?

Where are some of your favorite parks, what makes them so enjoyable and what do you think could be gone to be a great Publix space?

Donator — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/22 20:39:28 )
TREES BABY

places to sit

water and ducks

different elevations

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/22 20:43:15 )

One of my favorite parks in the world is High Line Park. I have been a few times and I’m in love. It’s a park in NYC and it used to be an above ground train line, the train shut down in the 80’s. In 2009 the High Line Park was opened. It’s a thin, but high up park that is used to showcase both local Flora and local art. It’s about a story and a half tall and it runs just under 2 miles long. Here is there website High Line Park
I think what I love most is all of the parks different functions. It can be a running or walking trail, a place to see wonderful architecture and views on NYC. It hosts classes, shows off art from local artist, you can be inspired or relaxed.

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/22 20:43:36 )

@Shark: Those are all great! Are there any parks near you that are like that?

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/22 20:46:38 )

I will agree with shark, trees are super important. Flowers are a plus but not necessary. Water makes parks super relaxing and wildlife gives you something to observe while you relax. Size kinda matters since I prefer to go to a bigger park more often than a little one. Distance from your house is also something to consider, obviously nearer is better. I would prefer there be a few people and not too crowded. Pets, food and children should be allowed.

Always ping me please.

Donator — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/22 20:59:41 )
there's one like that about an hour away from here next to a hospital I go to. It's very nice!

but there's also like so many different kinds of parks? D: down the street here there's a park with kids play areas, a small skate park, benches, and a field. And then farther down the road is a park with a short trail in a small forest that leads into an open field with a kids play area. And also nearby behind the college is a larger forest with trails where people can ride their horses.

Voltie — She/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/22 22:22:02 )
I think all local spaces should include more edible flora. One of my favorite places to chill in 2015 wasn't a park. It was behind a Starbucks, next to a giant field. There was this wall, and it had a grape vine on it. Blackberries are awesome, and are native to a good portion of the States.

I like botanical gardens, and nature centered parks best. Although, I think it'd be nice to see more food trucks & stalls in 'em in my area.

Donator — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/22 22:25:29 )
ooh you right. more berries. blackberries are great. we have them all over the place here. I've picked a bunch. o:

Ping me!

Hangout

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/22 23:23:36 )
I love a park with lots of nice places to sit. Not even benches really, just cute little spots to put down a picnic blanket. :3

Lots of nice trees. Need some shady places to go with all of that sun! :3

Food trucks are a plus in more populated areas, and bathrooms are also good to have. XDD;;

Oh my love, I know you are my candyman
And oh my love, let us fly to bounty land~~

Közi (“Kouji.”)
He/him

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/23 01:42:22 )
Lots of seating i think, i like to sit down and enjoy the scenery and flora (but i have to agree with Bio a park needs lots of clean drinking fountains)

Donator — Any Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/23 02:12:48 )
I'd say a lack of litter and overall pollution. I love parks with lots of trees and sources of water, but it doesn't mean much if the place is covered in garbage.

Voltie — they or he Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/23 05:06:21 )
must allow dogs and roller blading 😔👊

tumblrTwitter

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/23 05:47:34 )

Oh my gosh. This thread is getting so much love. I love it! Just know that I love everyone’s answers! They are so well thought out.

@Saeyra: I totally agree, a park is for everyone.

@Shark: Different parks are important, and help to serve the community in different ways. Skate parks are also good for combatting flooding, because the parks fill up with water and all of those gallons are taken off the roads.

@Fellowsheep: I love being able to find wild fruit. I always wondered why we don’t see more fruit bearing trees in parks and Public spaces. The cynical part of me thinks it’s because people wouldn’t want the homeless to eat them, but really it’s because they are more work than ‘normal’ trees. You have to feed them right to get the fruit to taste good, you have to water them more, and make sure there are people to pick up the fruit from on the ground and that can attract wild animals that could bite someone.

@love love guilty: both are great things!

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/23 05:57:55 )

@Kozi: My favorite park in my area has a small building for events (like hobby night class) they also have bathrooms that are always so clean. It’s great.

@Bioshock: All of those are really important points and they haven’t been brought up yet. A park is a place for the community.

@Jebidah: Like concert seating? Benches?

@Kira: True facts, have you ever done a park clean up before? Are the parks around you dirty?

Donator — Any Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/23 06:35:26 )
@Totalanimefan: I pick up trash whenever I go on walks. I've been desperately wanting to start a clean-up project in my community, but not very many people seem interested. I can keep doing it on my own if I have to. I know there are people who want to do it. I just haven't found them yet.

[Quests][Store]

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/23 08:12:17 )

@Kira: yeah it’s a lot of work for one person. I don’t know how to get in contact with local groups either. :/

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/23 08:29:40 )
@totalanimefan: More like bench seating, but it would be really cool to see someone make a bench that blocks out the sun so people can get some shade to beat the heat

Voltie — She/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/23 17:45:13 )
@Shark: Right?! Me and a friend used to go to a hiking park, and there'd be trees co-existing with blackberries that we'd eat off the vine. Mmmm. There's also things like sweet flowers, although it seems those tend to be invasive unless it's a specific strain :c
@Bioshock: I've got a county park that has a native horticulture conservation program Imma be volunteering at starting June hopefully. * u * Sounds like it might be yo kinda park lol!
@Totalanimefan: I personally believe it has more to do with how ingrained ornamental gardening is in our culture. Productive gardening is equally decorative, and usually better for the soil. The same pests plague both: edible & decorative plants from what I can tell. Altho this is def anectdotal (spelling fails me).

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/23 18:11:11 )

@Jebidah: oh that’s a great idea! I would love to see that.

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/23 18:11:53 )

@Fellowsheep: oh yeah I can totally see that. It’s about form over function for most people when looking at gardens.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.