Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Entertainment Comic Books?

Donator — she/they Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/24 03:44:33 )

Share your favorite comic books with me!

I got moved into my new house and finally got a decent job:
I work at a comic book store now.
Huzzah, except I have not read a comic since I was maybe 12.
(In my past, I was a collector of Morbius, ElfQuest, and Tales from the Crypt. I still have the Elfquest <3 )
EVERYTHING looks SO good and I do not know where to start. Except that I usually don't dig on the well known super heroes. I mean, I'm aware of them and could probably tell you a handful of trivia tidbits, so I won't be completely horrible at that part of my job... I'm just into a different kind of read. Anyone got any good suggestions?

This thread was locked due to inactivity, if you wish to unlock your thread please issue a ticket. Instructions to unlock thread found here.

Voltie — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/24 04:07:31 )
Me too, I can never get into superheroes, well I can but not something big like Marvel or DC. I read a lot of comics so I'll come back and give you updates if you'd like!
My two favorites, I Hate Fairyland and Scud, the Disposable Assassin (warning: Scud is harder to find but it's a really good comic)
Atomic Robo is pretty good
The Flintstone comics that DC is making (there aren't that many) is really good
Decender is a fun comic
Scott Pilgrim (a classic)
I enjoy The Lumberjanes
The Life and Death of Fritz the cat was a romp
that's all I can think of for now...

Donator — she/they Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/24 04:16:08 )
Ooh, nice list. I've seen copies of I Hate Fairyland, they were quite eye catching cover-wise.

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/24 04:43:38 )
I Hate Fairyland has suuuch a good style, I believe that was Scottie (Skottie?) Young originally.

I just read Junji Ito's Shiver collection but it isn't really a comic book per se... Also been slowly catching up on Sonic the Hedgehog because I am Sega trash lol

A friend has been trying to get me on Sandman but I keep putting it off. ;w;

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/24 21:18:57 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

Two off the top of my head:

Tim Seeley’s: Revival
Its a twist on the zombie genre for sure.
Its very dark.

Brian Azzarello's: 100 bullets was very immersive to me with its philosophical approach- you the reader find yourself either judging or pardoning each new character who gets an offer to exact perfect untraceable vengeance.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/24 21:22:01 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

Oh shit how could I forget my favorite?

Nailbiter. I NEVER FINISHED IT I NEED TO.

By uh, Josh Williamson.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 00:57:31 )

Sunstone by stjepan sejic. Slice of life comedy. NSFW

Voltie — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/27 15:23:14 )
Another good one is Johnny the Homicidal Maniac it's by Jhonen Vasquez (if you don't know him he did Invader Zim) is dark and gory but really funny. I've never seen a physical copy but I know its online.
Goodbye Have a beautiful time!

Voltie — boss baby Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/27 18:51:54 )
I read a lot of comics so I can give you more if you want but off the top of my head my favourite might be Sweet Tooth by Jeff Lemire? a lot of people get put off by the art style (I personally love how weird and fluid it is) but it has an amazing story and interesting premise

young dumb and full of crumbs

Donator — she/they Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/30 16:57:57 )
So I made myself a list of new comic series I am going to look out for:
Sharkey the Bounty Hunter: Looks to be a space-pirate type thing... It was produced by Netflix, so I can imagine a show is in the works, and it'll be fun to get in before everyone else does.
Oberon: I think we all know why I'm looking forward to this one. The faerie king Oberon meddles in the affairs of mortals. Again. Will he ever learn?
The Forgotten Queen: This one is about a badass chick, I was sold on the cover art... despite my hatred of monarchies.
IF I manage to obtain and read these bad boys, I'll give a review.
I'm also looking to collect Fistfull of Blood, and all the Dollman vs the Full Moon Universe comics, but that seems costly all at once...
Stay tuned, I guess.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/30 17:10:51 )
OHai6464:
Another good one is Johnny the Homicidal Maniac it's by Jhonen Vasquez (if you don't know him he did Invader Zim) is dark and gory but really funny. I've never seen a physical copy but I know its online.

Seconding this. Johnny is amazing.

Oh my love, I know you are my candyman
And oh my love, let us fly to bounty land~~

Közi (“Kouji.”)
He/him

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/3 18:24:41 )

"Best comics I ever read were the Spawn comics, The Darkness and Hellboy.... I also love the classic super hero comics as well... But there is so much too it, it's hard to really dabble in. I usually just end up summarizing it with a few volumes or getting the graphic novels. I love the Avenger's Infinity Wars set. I also dig a lot of X-men as well. Lady Death is also a good one.

I am a big comic book fan. lol

I also got an entire serious of comics/ manga (which is pretty much both) called Gunsmith Cats. It's really cool if you can find it. I found it in a vintage store. "

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/3 22:35:17 )
@mooneevee: GUNSMITH CATS IS SO GOOD! It takes place in Chicago too which I always thought was super cool; not sure about the manga, but for the anime they actually brought the animators to America to experience the city. I snagged a collection of six issues from a shop in Chicago, actually. :3
pls ping me, ty!!

TURN OFF THE SUN // PULL THE STARS FROM THE SKY

quest | etc

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/19 15:06:26 )
i don't read many comics--save for manga,
but i like saga and crossed (yeah i know, im gross)

i'm a rascally rabbit
rap game bugs bunny

horsey facey

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/13 19:41:04 )
Saeyra:

Sunstone by stjepan sejic. Slice of life comedy. NSFW

He did one of my favorite comic series, "Death Vigil." Seriously underrated. "Sunstone" is still on my TBR. He's lately started spamming Instagram, after not using it in a long time, if you're interested!

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/13 19:51:40 )
read pop team epic thank
See what conventions I'll be at next

Final Fantasy XV: Worst. Bachelor Party. EVER.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/13 20:12:20 )

@Eldweena: I love death vigil so much! I have read it all. He also has a pretty cool one called Twitch I think. I have read all his comics on his deviantart and yeah I follow him on insta as well. He is a pretty funny writer and an amazing artist!

Always ping me please.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.