Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat What is something that you want to learn?

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/24 00:23:29 )
You gotta @Mention me.

Japanese and Korean so I wouldn't need to wait for translations.
But that's a pipe dream because I have a problem with motivating myself to actually do things.

Join the Horde. We have bananas. 🍌
Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/24 01:27:45 )
e v e r y t h i n g.

Things I want to learn the most right now, in no particular order (I'll learn what I can when I can, depending on time/resources/availability/need/motivation/space/money/etc etc etc):

-Languages: The main languages I want to learn if/when I can are Spanish, ASL, and German. Possibly pick up where I left off on the French I started in school years ago, but it's not a priority. There are others that are of interest, but those are the most practical and thus of the greatest interest for me.
-Typing: My touch typing skills are at least above average, but I'm not where I feel I could/should be, as I still struggle with numbers/symbols and the numpad (for some reason we didn't really learn these when learning keyboarding in school), and I think my overall speed/accuracy needs work.
-Instruments/Music: I'd love to learn at least one instrument, starting with the banjo. I already have a hand-me-down banjo, an instruction book, and some finger picks. I just haven't had the time or space to practice since I got them. I'd also really like to learn the didgeridoo, as it's been one of my favorite instruments since childhood. I like learning about different kinds of instruments in general, and would gladly just dabble in anything I can get my hands on. Learning to read sheet music and different types of tabs would also come in handy.
-Gardening: Everything from flowers to fruit trees, herbs, carnivorous plants, mushrooms, living decorations using moss and air plants, succulents and cacti, vegetables, you name it. I love plants (and mushrooms; they're not technically plants, but hey, you grow them so they count here) and would like to do as much gardening and growing as possible. I'd love to incorporate as much of this into my living space, both indoors and outdoors, as I can manage. I'd especially love to have a green roof someday.
-Magic: Crystals, divination, herbs, spells, and pretty much everything else related to magic. I want to know as much as I can so I can find my own way and do what works best for me and my purposes. I am a strong believer in combining elements and making practices your own, but it's also important to know the physical effects of things and the reasons behind their uses in order to incorporate them effectively.
-Natural/Sustainable Living: The more I know about energy-saving, recycling, and other options to live a more self-sufficient life that is healthier for both me and my environment, the better. It kinda ties in to gardening, but there's a lot more that can be done.
-Art: There's always room for improvement in things like anatomy, perspective, coloring, composition, and overall technique. I'd also like to branch out from digital drawing and learn other mediums, especially sculpting, and also brush up (pun not intended) on other traditional mediums. I'd also really like to learn how to make comics and animations.
-Crafts: Besides sculpting, I'd like to learn more about jewelry making and improve on that. I'd also really like to learn to make soaps, candles, bath bombs, etc.
-Handyman Stuff: Pretty much anything/everything I can learn about making and/or fixing stuff. I'd like to be able to build and repair structures (like the dilapidated shed in our back yard), fix at least minor issues around the house, patch the roof, work on the car, etc. Whatever's useful that can reasonably be done without having to hire a professional.
-Cooking/Baking: Another thing I already know some of and have a little practice with, but not enough. I need to learn more about general cooking and baking principles, substitutions, tools, ingredients, and techniques. I have some cake decorating skills, but really want more practice with those and would like to learn how to use things like fondant, marzipan, and sugar work. I really enjoyed learning these things when I was in school, but never got to pursue it much further than the basics.
-Animal Care: I love animals, and I feel like if I'm going to own them in the future (again, whenever I encounter elusive things like time, space, and money), I want to be able to train and care for them in the best way possible. Animal behavior and nutrition are of interest to me in general, whether it relates to pets I actually have or not.

...and basically anything else I have the time and ability to learn, because learning stuff is cool.
AKA Count Trashula

Voltie — Moody Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/24 03:21:30 )
Batsy Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

I'd probably like to learn more about art
as well as Learn Korean.

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Voltie — they/them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/24 13:33:15 )
I want to learn to play bass guitar.
I already own one, I just need take the time to practice.

I'd also like to get good at fitness and weight lifting, but like, my arms and legs are noodles.
I'm so weak. xD

please @ me if you want a response
art by blinkini

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 03:02:05 )

A lot of people in this thread said ASL and you could either take a class at a community college or you could try to find your local deaf community! Most would love to have a new person in their group, hearing or deaf.
There are also good apps for learning ASL.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/28 21:33:21 )
Thanks for all the awesome replies~

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/28 21:38:15 )
@totalanimefan: i had no idea there were apps! I might look into it. We hired a new employee here recently and I think he is at least partially deaf so maybe it will be a nice surprise for him.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/28 21:48:50 )
@Addy: Aw that would be really nice. I would think that youtube would have a lot of videos, but I've never looked it up.

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/28 21:56:08 )
@taffy: same actually! I think I'd also be confusing myself and mirroring the movements too much... Using the wrong hand, etc. I'll do some research though!

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/28 22:06:56 )
@Addy: You can do things lefty or righty.

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/28 22:37:52 )
@taffy: oh heck really? I always thought there was a specific hand for each sign. THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
pls ping me, ty!!

TURN OFF THE SUN // PULL THE STARS FROM THE SKY

quest | etc

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/29 02:48:29 )
@Addy: not in ASL.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.