Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Cirque ad Infinitum Act 10: House of Mirrors

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:00:12 )

It was clear Vivienne was in no condition to further assist. Vontell had volunteered himself to be in charge of looking after
the circus lovers; while Valentina had dragged Vreg out to scavenge for any and all miscellaneous parts that could be engineered
into support items for everyone.

"You don't think that....'those two' are gonna wake up anytime soon, right? You're confident the others will be okay while we are gone?"
Turning to flash Velvet a comforting and confident smile, Smolkie presented his pearly whites that contagiously drew hers out as well.

"Even if the Snake Charmer and Strongman DO wake up,
I wouldn't worry your pretty little head Ms. Watson. Forgive me if I sound arrogant, but I am quite good at what I do!"

Smolkie's assurance to them certainly provided more hope than they started out with.
Setting out to search the rest of the fair grounds; their vision slightly obscured by a thickening haze of fog.

"Ah!! What the heck! Where did this thing pop outta?!"
Along the field with twists and turns, a series of mirrors suddenly stood before them.
Slowly, one dropped forward and one by one like domino's they collided with deafening thuds.
Turning back with a shrug Smolkie gestured toward the mirrored road.

"Illusion or not, this seems like a convenient way of communicating where we need to go next, wouldn't you two agree?"
Following the path lead them to a hill and it was there they made eyes on the attraction sign labeled "House of Mirrors".
The building was the only thing in plain sight as it colorfully stood out.
The doorway served to be an open mouth to the face of a clown. Cracking his knuckles, Vyc felt a surge of bravery come over him.
"Let's do this, guys."

Making their way down the hill, feeling satisfaction that it was just the right level of steep to help pick up speed without risk
of falling they jutted down. Then the sound of a tubular bell distressingly chimed off--- followed immediately by a mirror snapping
itself up from the ground in front of Vyc! "Whoa, whoa there!!” he shouted before being absorbed into the mirror that sank immediately
back down into a smoky and ravenous abyss.

Caught in a moment of shock, Velvet paused and her hands shook trying to comprehend what just happened. "Oh NO, Vyc!"
Remorse flooding through her. Smolkie tugged her forward into a run that spared her from the chime that just rang off.
A mirror sprouting up in the place where she had just stood.

"I trust Vyc can take care of himself!
I promise to find him as soon as we are out of this mess!"

She was barely able to make out what he said over
the now hundreds of bells blaring off in a corrupted melody of notes.
Rushing forth while dodging the mirrors, horror washed over their eyes as a giant construction drill slowly barreled out from
behind the attraction. It powered on and buzzed a threatening hum as the red and white stripes swirled like a menacing candy cane.
The vehicle slowly turning to face their general direction, flicked its headlights on and the engine revved as the thick tire treads tore up
the grass before darting straight at them with ferocious speed.

"We need to split up!" Velvet leapt to take a sharp left. Feeling dazed for but a moment too long, Smolkie was now
the drill's primary target. He rushed to the right so to divert it away from her.Frustration overwhelming him as the frequent
and abrupt interruptions hindered his direction and speed. None the less, he managed to somehow dodge with grace.
The candied vehicle still far outmatched Smolkie by all measurements. Left with no choice-after curving back around
he aimed straight for the entrance to the House of Mirrors. The point of the drill not even a foot away from piercing his
shoulder blades, he ducked down and immediately tumbled sideways into the building.
The vehicle came crashing into the entrance right along with him. It continued to menace the wood paneling and sparks flew
as the drill connected with varying wall mounted screws that shredded out at him. After a few more moments of the obnoxious
layering of noise, the drill finally had shorted out and powered down. Leaving Smolkie trapped inside .......

"Well....this is rather inconvenient!”
Smolkie brushed off and allowed himself a moment to catch his breath. Looking down the only hall he could go.
It was laced every inch including the ceiling, with tall pane mirrors that reflected into each other making it
seem as though there was a thousand copies of himself stumbling about.
"If I keep low and just look at the floor, I should be able to find my way out....I hope..."
Hunching over, he progressed forward keeping his hand to the floor so to feel for the turns.
Inevitably, after numerous hallways a much welcomed change of color peered out in a ray across
several of his reflections. Refracting off the mirrors, the red flickering glare of an exit sign offered promise.

Slowly coming to stand upright, eyes not wavering from his destination, Smolkie was suddenly shoved harshly back down
into the floor! Knocking the wind out of him, along with his tongue so to taste the thick dust with hints of mildew layered
over the hardwood that chilled his abdomen. Determined to act, he used full force to turn himself around against
the oppressive weight. Now facing upright, back pressing to the floor; Surprise hit him as he was faced with
a distorted imitation of himself. Only, his image seemed to be leaking out of the mirror and splattering around him,
singeing the floor. He kicks at the ground so to propel himself backwards and closer to the exit door .
"No I much really rather not confront you, fine sir! I have other matters to attend to.
I'm to assume you are an illusion soooo GOOD DAY TO YOU!

Booking it out the exit door, a cyclone of emotions stir as he can finally see outside;
A large mirror stood floating, within it Vyc’s face lit up pleasantly surprised!

"Whoo-hoo! There’s the man of the hour! Took ya long enough gramps!” Tauntingly floating her way down from the drill
while humming a song, Constance remained levitating off the ground to stand a head higher than Smolkie.
Raising his hand to point up at her nose, his brows furrowed ready to lecture.
“You need to release Mr. Vyc at once, young missy! This is completely uncalled for!!”
She pursed her lips into a dramatized saddened expression as she rubbed her eyes and faked a whine.

"But, but...you wouldn't want TWO full grown men to fight ONE little girl! Taking advantage of lil ol' me and my poor, poor decapitated body.
Are you a sick person, Dr.McMoy? Dr. McToy?....hehehehe."
She punched her own head off laughing, and caught it with the other hand.
Smolkie grimaced at the sight.

"Seems to me you are likely avoiding a battle of wits in FEAR of losing to a prematurely bald headed man and the tattooed
lacky who already beat one of your previous games!"
Smolkie crossed his arms sternly as he peered at her eyes with a raised brow.
His statement and demeanor boiled an unexpected anger within her, as she clutched her own seething and chattering.
Her body pitched her head like a baseball against the mirror that imprisoned Vyc, causing her to stick flat to it.
She wiggled her head to peel itself off from the mirror causing her to bounce slightly off the ground, rolling towards Smolkie
like a bowling ball without a lane. "You're gonna join him gramps. I'm going to ROAST you, throw your charred body in the mirror
and hang you both on my wall as decoration for the new kingdom of Veles!"

Smolkie scoffed disapprovingly as he watched her roll pitifully back to her body. "I think not, child." Behind them,
cascades of paper plummet from the sky- the size of commercial billboards. She pulls a lower eyelid down and sticks
a tongue out while floating past them to perch herself upon the stack.

"Pay close attention, I won't say it twice.
Here is how to play, my dear sacrifice."

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:04:39 )

**YOU MAY STILL SUBMIT YOUR ATTEMPTS AT THE GAME UP THROUGH 12am VOLTRA TIME
TO QUALIFY FOR THE FREE EVENT ITEM**

SUMMARY
Most of the NPCs stayed behind to be helpful in other ways.
Velvet and Vyc set out with Smolkie to search for clues, when a path
leads them to "The House of MIrrors".
They confidently darted towards it, but it was a trap. Mirrors started sprouting
up from the ground- one managed to capture and detain Vyc.
Velvet ran away successfully dodging them, but Smolkie got trapped
in the attraction all alone. After facing and fleeing from a mimic,
Smolkie manages to escape but is now ready to confront Constance,
and save Vyc.

Get ready to screenshot.

You will need to have a image uploading site such as imgur.com
up so to quickly upload photos and post them to this thread.
(Make sure you use the "Get Share Links" and >"BBCode Forums"
so that your picture is easily viewable.

SOME graphics will come with a task specifying one of these forms.
"Screen shot Grape constance" for example.

At least 3 different people must submit their screenshots in order to progress
to the next graphic.
Image will remain up for at least 5-10 minutes regardless.

Constance may fling insults out in this thread. She's possessed! Take it lightly!

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:05:45 )

Find Present Constance

Find Grape

Not telling you.

It's obvious.

Hit "Present Constance"

Find Red Constance

Find Light Constance

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:17:27 )

The dull humming sound of a fresh drawn sword sang out as the mirror that held Vyc captive fell to pieces.
As if blades had crisscrossed slices into glass, the billboard sized notes shattered and came cascading down into reflective
colorful sprinkles. Among the airborne debris, Constance's head and body segregated from each other and came tumbling
down as well. Smolkie’s eyes scavenged the prismatic flecks hard before noting where Constance was and as soon as he did,
he pointed affirmatively. “Quickly Vyc, over there! You get the girl’s head and I’ll retrieve the body!” Rushing forth and into the
dancing shimmers of glass, Vyc closed in to the area where her head was about to land. His legs running faster than ever before
end up sliding on the slick dewy grass which allowed him to close the final distance and catch her head into his chest.

“I gotchyu kiddo!” He gave a celebratory fist up to the sky, but quickly his confidence faltered as he stared into the still and lifeless
face that began to blur from his body shaking and gut sinking ten levels below the ground he lay. Progressively dissociating until
Smolkie’s shouting brought his attention back.

“Bring her head back here! I can’t continue the ceremony without her head, or else she’ll die!”
Whipping his gaze from her face to Smolkie’s, Vyc could see he was mid process of his routine but intentionally delaying
while fending off the body that kept lunging at him to bite. Hope swelling back into his heart, Vyc shot straight up into a full sprint,
Constance’s head cradled safely into the pit of his arm. Nearing her body, he had to quickly back-step as she turned her erratic
aggression onto him, thrashing her fists about.

“Becareful Vyc, this will be tricky! You have to place it back at the same time as I finish the magnetic pull!”
Smolkiek’s expression was nervous, but Vyc was determined and ready.
“It’s now or never doc!” He called back with a sheepish smirk, that gave Smolkie a warm smile.
“In 3!” Smolkie positioned himself ready to pull
“2!” Vyc inched closer.
“1!” Leaping up, Vyc carefully but with force slams her head down back in place,
and Smolkie as if swinging a golf club rips the watch forward- pulling out the demonic influence with
its forward extension. Just as they both finished and paced backward for safety, crackles of electricity cauterize
Constance’s head back solidly in place to her neck.

As the fog and smoke dispelled, Constance could be seen with her body turned back to normal.
Looking that of a statue as her only movement came from the inhale and exhale of her natural breath.
Feeling beside himself, Vyc plopped down backwards in relief.
“Thank goodness…you’re alive, we did it.”
She turned to the kind and familiar voice and as her eyes met his, her lips quivered in shame and guilt.

“Constance my dear, if you could do just one single easy thing for me. I request that you please follow the movements
of my pocket watch with your and only your eyes. Could you do that for me?”
Her deep inhale seemed enough indication
to both Smolkie and Vyc that she’d try to comply. Dropping the watch to dangle from the chain, he began his aftercare.
A smile painted Vycs face as he noticed her compliant and shifting gaze. A gentle but still loud snap from Smolkie triggered
Constance into a deep sleep, and before both their eyes her past flashed in segments:
A young woman gasping from the corner watching them. “Please be careful! Don’t drop her!”
“I ain’t gonna drop her, and even if I did she would fly, wouldn’t ya Connie?”
Connie gave a assured nod. “Yeah Mama, I’d fly right to ya!” The woman rolled her eyes and laughed as she walked
to join them as they came together in a loving embrace. The scene fades out into another.

Constance’s stomach grumbles loudly and she struggles not to fidget in her seat at the dinning table.
When her mother enters the room and steam fans out off the hot plate, she licks her lips anticipating the moment
she can fill her tummy. “I made your favorite tonight, sweetheart.” Her mother said while placing the plate down in front of her,
giving it a gentle blow so to cool it for her. “Boxed mashed potatoes, canned sweet corn and canned peas!!” She gasped excitedly.
"Thanks Mama! You're the best cook EVER!" Her mother smiled warmly. “Your father should be home any minute now…
I wonder what is taking him so darn long?”
Right on cue, their door creaked open and in he walked. He had to shove his entire body
weight against the door to try to get the lock to latch but failed. “Give it a body slam papa!” Constance cheered out, rusty fork in hand.
He looked at the both of them and then pretended to flex his biceps before heaving himself into the door.
The satisfactory clicking sound of the lock aligning rallying a clap from all of them.

The scene flicks again as Constance was awoken from three assertive rasping knocks at their bedroom door.
She rubbed her eyes dazed and confused, looking around and noticing her parents were not tucked in their floor mats.
Muffled voices could be heard from the door.“Please, don’t do it so loudly! She doesn’t need to be awoken so cruelly!”
She could hear her mother beg. “We have to do this. Think of her wellbeing.” Another woman replied as if reciting a line
she had done a hundred times before. “I have every intention of requesting a retrial! I swear!
I couldn’t make it because I had work and if I didn’t show for the shift they would have fired me!” Her father panicked.
“Get out. Of the way. Sir.” This mans voice deep and intimidating, unlike her fathers sweet and comforting voice.

A shifting of feet, and a gasp from her mother, the door creaked open---Constance having to shield her eyes
from the hall light blinding her. A woman wearing a full pantsuit walked over to her, her heels clicking against
the shifting floorboards. “Hello sweetie, I hate to wake you up like this, but we need to have a chat somewhere else
….Right mom and dad?” she looked over slowly at Constance’s parents who both wore looks of pain.
An officer behind them shifted his eyes to the both of them angrily.
“Go with the nice lady sweetie…everything is going to be okay .” Her mother uncomfortably avoided eye contact.
“Like HELL it is!” punching the wall and storming off, her father left her sight and the officer paced after him.
“It’s time to go now, Connie. Let's find your shoesies." The only shoes in the room were worn out moccasins that
reeked of several summers. The strange woman had grabbed Constance’s hand pulling her up. She looked to the mother
for an answer but she was muffling sobs from her hands. “What’s going on?” Constance asked shaking.
We’re going on a field a trip! Oh! You could use my work computer to play a game of TIMs!"
The lady had a bright smile but it leaked artificial.

“I love you Constance. SO very much.” Was all her mom could say as she passed by, now looking at her in a blur
through tears as Constance was carried off. Regret filled Constance for complying... so she began thrashing,
kicking and screaming. out the door. “MAMA! PAPA!” She saw her mother drop to her knees as her father ran to catch his wife
-the cop keeping an eye on him. Her Mother reached out her hand pointlessly as the father looked on and sobbed.
"We'll bring you back home Connie, I swear it!" and the car door slammed shut cutting of sight of each other.

And finally, the scene flicks one last time and the blur of trees and buffeted sounds from random structures
hypnotically passed through the car window for what was a drive lasting hours. Pulling up into a large building
“Sunflower Orphanage”. “Please be on your best behavior, Connie. No more destroying things, okay?" The social worker
asked as if pleading. Constance hesitated to leave the car and looked up at the woman.
“My parents…they lost?” The woman sighed, looking away. “I’m sorry hon. You don’t realize it now….
But that environment was not fit for a child. They couldn’t afford to take care of your basic needs. It was toxically filthy.
You wouldn't have thrived there."
Constance hopped out of the car, her one bag in hand booked it for the opposite direction,
attempting to escape. “Constance, get back here!!!” The woman desperately called out. It wasn’t long before a series of on
site guards captured and restrained Constance to the pavement as she kicked and screamed trying to escape their grasp.
“I want to go HOME. I want to be with my FAMILY. WHY? Why is that so WRONG?!”

Back to the present, Vyc and Smolkie ease their heavy emotion filled breathing. “I could use a sleep like she is right about now…”
Vyc said trying to maintain some level of humor. Smolkie extended his hand to pat Vyc’s back as he tried to clear his own sniffles.
“I’m afraid there’s no time for that, Mr.Vyc. We have another glaring problem to address.”
Fists clenched, Vyc lifts his gaze to Smolkie as a knot of worry and dread forms in the pit of his stomach.

“Yeah….where’s Velvet?”

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:20:46 )
Here ya are

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:24:12 )

@Hazer: The same way your tongue does despite not having a brain.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:25:49 )

found you o 3 o

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:26:04 )
@hazer:

Dang. haha

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:27:30 )

Find Grape.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:29:13 )

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:29:18 )
Okay I'm mainly just here to get roasted by Constance

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:29:56 )

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:31:07 )

@Hazer:It's called a warm up, something your face could use.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:32:32 )
*eats popcorn while watching Hazer and Constance*

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:32:53 )

Attention Voltra, your citizens suck. They want to be insulted.
You are raising your children in a FILTHY E N V I R O N M E N T

I'm not telling you this time.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:34:21 )

Gotcha
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:34:50 )

pls don't

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:34:58 )

Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:36:54 )

@Hazer: If you don't have patience for the main irritatingly challenging attraction, go right on ahead and skip to the nearest mirror.
Don't expect an audience though.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 00:37:00 )

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.