Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Playing shooter video games damages the brain

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/9 19:58:30 )
Playing “shooter” video games weakens the brains of young people and puts them at greater risk of dementia in later life, new research suggests.

A trial in Canada found that those who spent a lot of time playing games such as Call of Duty had less grey matter in a crucial part of the brain.

Full article here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/08/07/playing-shooter-video-games-damages-brain-study-suggests/

Who plays shooter games here?

Donator — Any Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/9 20:04:05 )
What.
Welp guess my brains hecked up.
Please ping me!

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/9 20:41:01 )

@Milkii: Same over here.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/9 21:02:52 )
I feel like even if this were true, to me the benefits outweigh the risks.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Voltie — HIM Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/10 00:31:47 )
"Scientists behind the research have cautioned doctors against recommending video games as a means of boosting older people’s cognitive function, warning the activity may be harming their ability to retain memories."

That seems dishonest on their part. The article says they tested against other games, yet when advising people about it, they want to lump them together?

And what doctors are recommending their geriatric patients to play Call of Duty? I doubt there are any.
Either way, anyone could tell you that Call of Duty is bad for your brain in the long run. It's one of the many 'junk foods' of the video game world.

Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/10 04:35:31 )
Let's be real tho CoD isn't the most cerebral gaming experience to begin with and a majority of its playerbase is of questionable mentality even without the game./size]

[size=9]please ping me if you need my attention! || stardust || be excellent to each other ♥

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/18 04:33:03 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

The sources behind the claims look shotty.
And I'm sure its impact is barely any more or less different than someone playing any not super intellectually stimulating game. My step mother plays BINGO on her iPhone up to 6 hours a day.
There's zero strategy or concentration to bingo, so for fairness of the claim I'd like them to weigh it against other things. Next time with a bigger pool of subjects and longer range.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/18 04:35:08 )
Bring on the Dementia, I guess.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/24 07:33:19 )
They more or less cause damage to my stomach because I can't handle the camera movements. :p FPS has never been my favorite genre. I think more cinematic story and puzzle-based games might be more stimulating for the brain though. I love a good deep RPG that leaves you thinking for hours, weeks, years after you finished it.
Please take my survey on dress up game art!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.