Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I'm going to be a rat mumma!

Donator — PrinCSS Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/28 01:23:58 )

Aaaah guys, I am actually so excited.
    The past few weeks, my partner and I (well, mostly me - but still!) have been preparing to welcome a pair of little ratties into our home and become part of our family.

It started with me visiting a newly-opened pet store at my local mall and we both were like "hey, would you ever get rats as a pet?" and so from then on I have been invested into reading and documenting care and finding all I can about these precious babies.

There's a few rescues in our state, within a 30min -2 hour drive - I've contacted one of them and they have some beautiful girls available next month, when I go looking for them ~

Today, in a few hours I will be picking up their cage to store at my Mother's house until we've fixed up our apartment for them..

I AM SO EXCITED OKAY
    And I'm going to share pictures here as I remember too.. the first one going to be the cage when it comes home :vanora_heart:

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/28 01:41:50 )
Congrats, on being a rat momma, rats are awesome
If you can’t say something nice, Don’t say anything at all!

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/28 02:30:19 )
grats on the rats

sayonara cheesecakes ( 0 ڡ≦)ゞ✩◄-gallery-►

Donator — Puzzling Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/28 03:30:05 )

Awh congrats!! ^^ Never had a rat but heard they are actually really good pets.

|

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/28 08:39:01 )
Join the club
Would love to see the pics when they arrive
rats are cute
also weird
mine had a hammock and they just dug a hole in it and used it as sleeping bag :^)
Sorry if Reply late!
Please ping me!

Questing

Donator — PrinCSS Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/28 08:56:57 )

SCREE I BOUGHT THEM
    and ended up going out afterwards oops

The lady had flat-pack ones available so I bought those instead of the pre-mades ^^

They're perfectly fit in the boot of my car and ready to unload and create properly next week just before I pick up the rat girls! C:

Grats on the rats omg I love it

@Siron: I get to be part of a club? quq
    I'll be sure to send pictures/update this thread as it progresses! Won't be until the 1st week of June but still that's not far away at all

I bought them the cage, cage trolley, water bottle and a medium sized fleece hammok which I didn't take pictures of because silly me left them in the car and now I don't want to move xD

Donator — ...... Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/28 09:38:57 )
:O Do you have names for them yet?

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/28 13:22:47 )

Congrats and nice to see you again.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/28 13:29:51 )
So. Funny story. I used to own over 20 rats at one time. I happen to have a lot of knowledge on rat-rearing.
If you need any help just let me know!

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/28 15:31:19 )
@Aly: omg, I am so excited for you! :vanora_heart: Rats are precious and you're so lucky.
call me grem
they/them

Donator — PrinCSS Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/28 23:28:47 )

@Espy: they have names at the shelter but we get to change them if we want to
    I feel when I see them I will have their name according to their personality

@Totalanimefan: same to you! It's been months and I am sorry for that

@Glume: aaah I will be sure to keep you close Just in case

@nyreen: that is so true and I am so very excited

Sorry for lame replies I am on mobile a bit longer

Donator — PrinCSS Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/28 23:29:37 )

I was meant to be getting the rats this Saturday but want to push it back a week because unit finishes this week too

And I know getting rats I would lose assignment time haha

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/29 15:04:45 )

@Aly: it’s ok. We all have real life stuff. I’m glad to see you. How have you been? I’m in Japan right now for the first time and it’s my last night here.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — PrinCSS Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/6 06:23:28 )

BUMP BUMP I NEED TO UPDATE THIS FOR YOU ALL TO SEE <3

I've finished university for the semester now, and am going to spend the next 5 weeks working and babying my children once they arrive.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/6 09:41:27 )
aaAAAWWW, i love rats! I am a rat mama tooooo. :vanora_heart:

Donator — PrinCSS Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/16 10:51:20 )

Am I allowed to update this, maybe I should get it moved to life discussion or hangouts thread

This morning I went in to check on my girls and it's been so hot here lately.. I saw them both sleeping in weird spots of the cage- I guess it's cooler there? Rosie, my friendly little gal greeted me with a lick of the fingers- uncommon but it's happened before and she's usually awake in the morning

But our other quiet girl, Pip was laying flat on her stomach sleeping - don't get me wrong this is normal and she prefers night time to morning.. but I went to go pat her (they both don't like it but tolerate it, i am mean xD) and expecting her to push me away or roll her eyes after opening them she did.. well.. nothing?

She just sat there- and you know how in your life, you start over thinking bad things? that was me, my world was in slow motion and I kept patting her as if she was gone - talking to her to see if she'd move.. but she didn't...

Rosie- my sweetiepie pretty much rushed over when she saw me patting her and was licking my fingers again, before crouching over her sister, nuzzling and licking her too! My heart skipped a beat and I started crying a little - Pip didn't look like she was breathing.. I called over my partner and we tried to push Rosie off (gently of course) but she didn't move..
    Panicking, thinking it might have been the heat, I dipped my finger in water and started tapping Pip's nose- very faintly it started to twitch and she opened her eyes, got up and went behind her hut - back to sleep..
    I was so worried and am more worried now and keeping an eye on her - they will both be making a trip to the vet on Monday and I guess we can see how it goes from there?
    Ah, I just needed to put this into word, it was on my mind all day :(

Donator — PrinCSS Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/16 10:53:30 )

@glume: if you're still up for it- the vets last time put the girls on doxycycline and ome other medication
    I've heard graprefruit juice, darkest chocolate and steam helps clear their air ways but do you know other more common medication or home remedies that could help with their mycro?

COMMISSION | GUIDE | PREMADES

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/16 14:05:17 )
    @Aly: yaaaay!!! You're finally getting them!! Let me know if you need any advice at all or just have any questions :) I'm a veteran rat mumma xD can't wait to see the pics of your babies :)

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/16 14:10:00 )
    Ooooo just saw your update - rats can be very sensitive to heat and sleeping flat on their stomach (pancaking) is a sign of them trying to cool off. Is there any way you can make it cooler in that room? I wouldn't worry too much about her - unless she is having breathing troubles? Laboured breathing? What is her behaviour like now?

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — she/they Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/16 21:42:11 )
@Aly: Echinacea/goldenseal in water flowered with honey. Maybe consult the Internet for ammounts!
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.